Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow, OCS...

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach

Wow, OCS...

After picking up my first actual JBL Speakers i have actually purchased myself, and getting them repaired, i went to Orange County Speakers, i heard and was very sure they would not be ones to due anything wrong with my L100T's 2214H Drivers, but i was proven wrong, today. After receiving it today, i was greatly disappointed by the fact that the edge is..., ON TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, *sigh*, well atleast i hope it does not alter the sound quality... any comments on OCS doing such things of late? It also appears to be a normal 12 Inch foam edge, and definately not the correct size for 2214H drivers. I feel betrayed especially after paying 90$ for such a crappy repair, i could have done better. Im very disappointed, i truly believed OCS to be professionals doing things the right way.

Also so to keep this one topic, does anyone happen to know what the tweeter is on the L100T? or atleast how i might be able to fix one of mine, using an electric meter on the positive and negative there appears to be no connection, any idea what causes this?

edit:
    ah woops, think this should have been in technical help.
    Young, but i love speakers!

OCS attaches the foams to the backs if you ask them to do so. If you don't know to ask, you are usually SOL. I recognize that they are a certified JBL repair facility and it's just not right, but that's the way they do it.

OCS attaches the foams to the backs if you ask them to do so. If you don't know to ask, you are usually SOL. I recognize that they are a certified JBL repair facility and it's just not right, but that's the way they do it.
    Your kidding! You have to ask for them to do it right??? You should not have to ask.

Rob

hmm good game.., one of the woofer's cone's seem to have broken, *sigh* there goes all that money, sucks worse for me since im just a high school student with a little part time job, -_-. When i bought it i decided it to be the last speaker i'd purchase for a good long time...

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyAccess
    After picking up my first actual JBL Speakers i have actually purchased myself, and getting them repaired, i went to Orange County Speakers, i heard and was very sure they would not be ones to due anything wrong with my L100T's 2214H Drivers, but i was proven wrong, today. After receiving it today, i was greatly disappointed by the fact that the edge is..., ON TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, *sigh*, well atleast i hope it does not alter the sound quality... any comments on OCS doing such things of late? ..."
    Yup, did that to a pair of 10 inch 127H. Said they do that if there is too much damage on the rear to give a good surface.

Penance for not going full recone in the first place.

David f

What does that mean "One of the woofers' cones seems to have 'broken'?"

Torn?

Dead?

not sure but i believe its the cone (of course im taking a guess), after a certain volume level one of the woofers will start to sound like a clipping kind of sound as if its going to break, almost like a plastic clipping sound, its not because of the receiver or audio signal, other one has no problem at even higher volumes. There is no visibile sign of damage though... Is my judgement correct?, i ruled out the possibility of it being incorrectly centered since it was done by OCS speakers..., pushing the cone in a bit i dont hear it making any sound, hmm.

Take it back to OCS for diagnosis.

It'll be interesting to know what they say....

Also so to keep this one topic, does anyone happen to know what the tweeter is on the L100T? or atleast how i might be able to fix one of mine, using an electric meter on the positive and negative there appears to be no connection, any idea what causes this?
    http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...L100t%20ts.pdf

035ti is blown. There's several forum members local to you that might help try to fix it. Diaphragm kit is available, but $110.

Start looking for a replacement on eBay, maybe....

i noticed that the L100T3, though only difference was the crossover supposedly, it has an 035TIA? is that alcino or something? Does my case though that i wrote above there sound like the cone snapped or something like that, im thinking about taking it back to OCS thursday, though im almost sure what they'll say, ohwell i can only blame myself, for being so dumb as to go through them, needless to say i might never be able to trust them anless i talk to them SPECIFICALLY what i want to be done, that was just bull what they pulled on me. i noticed that the foam they put ontop of the 2214H also is alot different, it pulls the actual cone up a bit, and its alot fatter, if i lay the 2214H face down the foam will touch the table *sigh*, but i imagine it didnt alter the sound atleast noticable to me, in any case, regarding the tweeter...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=9710424401
    that oughta do right, wonder how much it'll end up as, but i notice that the connection terminals are located differently, on my tweeter there is one on the right and left side of the tweeter as far as can be, while these are close together?...

not sure but i believe its the cone (of course im taking a guess), after a certain volume level one of the woofers will start to sound like a clipping kind of sound as if its going to break, almost like a plastic clipping sound, its not because of the receiver or audio signal, other one has no problem at even higher volumes. There is no visibile sign of damage though... Is my judgement correct?, i ruled out the possibility of it being incorrectly centered since it was done by OCS speakers..., pushing the cone in a bit i dont hear it making any sound, hmm.
    A common problem with the 2214 is the spider cracking and tearing away at the cone apex where it joins the cone/spider/voice coil joint.

It's possible to put a new suspension on a driver that still has a good cone/coil. It's more labor but still less costly than a full recone.

It shouldn't have to be asked for to repair the speaker properly. I can't imagine having to ask any repair shop," Gee...would it be too much trouble to ask you fix this right? Thank you so much!"

The difference between the 035ti and 035tia is the 035tia has alignment tabs on the diaphragm mounting plate that fits a relief machined into the magnet top plate, and the terminals are located on the same side, whereas the 035ti terminals are 180 degrees apart. They're not interchangeable without modifying the cabinets tweeter mounting hole.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

...pushing the cone in a bit i dont hear it making any sound, hmm.
    That's not a careful enough test.

Do you have a tone generator? Or, a CD with a frequency sweep? Take the woof out of the cabinet, place it on your bench face-up, and run something like one of these at a low voltage drive, less thas 3v. Also, try and get a good look for any "obvious" spider failure.

Overall, though, I think with the poor repair and age, you are needing a recone. But send them somewhere else...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Like Bo just said, only real way is a full recone. OCS using a different foam edge, and glueing it to the front of the cone changes the position of the cone slightly, AND also changes the exact position the VC sits in the magnetic gap.

Where the VC sits in the gap is critical, even a mm or two makes the woofer work or not, incorrectly.

That plastic snapping sound your hearing sounds like your hitting the excursion limits of your woofer.
    scottyj

JBL Dog
    Has anyone out there ever had a 2214H refoamed with the edge on the backside? It seems everyone I have ever seen has had the edge on top.

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL Dog
    Has anyone out there ever had a 2214H refoamed with the edge on the backside? It seems everyone I have ever seen has had the edge on top.

Just curious.
    That is the only way I do it....short of a total recone with C8R2214.
    Any way else is just wrong.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I must say that I was quite surprised by OCS's attitude toward Qwert... I too would have assumed that they would always do the "right thing". I have had issues with my local guy as well... I guess, you just have to stay on top of these guys. Not you Edge, of course, but you know what I mean.

Widget

Thread Information