Thread: Bass driver for 4530 rear loading horn?

Bruno GINARD

Bass driver for 4530 rear loading horn?

I own a pair of rear loading horns cabinet, a copy of 4530 model, made with heavy chipboard. It is actually used with a 38 “ Tannoy professional coax. Speaker.

I am going to sell the Tannoy couple, and I would like to re-use these cabinets for a Home theatre system in my lounge, surrounding a 36 “ Panasonic flat screen.

Mid and highs shall be 2445 or 46, probably with a 2380 A horn (beyond 500 or 600 Hz), and finally 2405 up to 6 or 7 KHz.

What is the better bass speaker for this kind of application?

I am looking for 2220, 2225,2226, 2227 models. E 140 seem to be a good speaker for professional outdoors application, bur not for home. E 145 shall be a good choice, but it’s impossible to find a pair in France.

Charley Rummel
    Hi, Bruno:

If you can get the E145's (though you indicated you can't find them in France) that would be a great choice in my opinion. Otherwise, the 2225 would be an excellent choice for your 4530 rear loaded folded horn. A lot of people are using the 2226 in the 4530 clones in the USA (like in clubs), but the T/S parameters aren't as favorable for horn loading, and may be a little boomy for a home theatre application.

Please keep us informed on what you ultimately use, and how it performs.

Regards,
    Charley Rummel

Bruno GINARD
    Thank you Charley for your answer. I own a pair of E 145, but they are dedicated for my Hartsfields ( to be finished in 2 or 3 months).

I am searching for a 2225....

What about the 2380 Horn ? I don't know it,just see it on JBL profesional parts list, but it's a recent model, availaible in second hand for 350 or 400 Euros ( = $).
    The specs seem to be good and a wooded horn like TAD or IWATA model costs 1600 $/€ a pair !

Bruno GINARD
    Here's a photo of the horn, with 15 " ( and not 38 ", but 38 centimeters!) Tannoy professional.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Bruno,

I confirm that E145 are very rare in France. But, Bruno, (if you are interested, ) I know a gut who sell 4 bass speakers JBL models 150-4 ( et en plus c'est à la Tour du pîn !!!!! vers Grenoble.) My self I have a E145 pair left who need to be reconed. But they are not for sell....
    I hope you will find your speaker. I recommend for the 4530 the JBL 2205a units or 2225.

Regards from Villefranche (dpt 69); Steph

PS : les Hartsfield sont terminées et en écoute .....
    Regards Stephane

Bruno GINARD
    Thank you stephane.

I post a private mesage to you with my Email for the E 145.

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno GINARD
    Thank you Charley for your answer. I own a pair of E 145, but they are dedicated for my Hartsfields ( to be finished in 2 or 3 months).

I am searching for a 2225....

What about the 2380 Horn ? I don't know it,just see it on JBL profesional parts list, but it's a recent model, availaible in second hand for 350 or 400 Euros ( = $).
    The specs seem to be good and a wooded horn like TAD or IWATA model costs 1600 $/€ a pair !
    I never heard somebody talking about Iwata horn, except a few guys here in Europe. Did you ever tried one?
    I know one Iwata, but unfortunazely is not wooden.
    Can you tell me what you know?

Bruno GINARD

IWATA

Hello

IWATA horn was designed by Mr IWATA in Japan, several years Ago.He was an ingenior and worket in tunnels realisation for the Japanes high speed train .Because Jean Hiraga made some news coverage about Mr I. in the old French Hi Fi issue "L'AUDIOPHILE", a lot of Hiwata horn were made in Europe. Sometime in wood, or others made it with plaster.

15 years ago i've eard in Paris an IWATA horn with TAD 2001 driver, Altec 416 15" bass speaker in an Onken type enclosure.

IMO Iwata curve is one of the best horn, without the defect of the others horn, you know what we call the 'duck sound' when you ear music with some public adress horns...
    For the building , it's an other story !

More :
    http://haute.fidelite.com.online.fr/...r-11-2000.html

http://users.pandora.be/philmundi/suite1.html

Warmest regards
    Attached Images Attached Images  

paragon

Bass driver

Of course a 2205A, K145, E145, 2225,2226.
    All this drivers work very well in this horn with a little different in mid sound.
    You also may also use Electro-Voice....ok, sorry

Why not a E140 for horn loading?

The specs listed are: fs of 32hz, Qts of .17 and Qes of .19( I am not that knowledgable on the possiblities, but is not Qts usually higher than Qes?).

With that low "Q" specs, I see horn driver all the way. Any reason why this is not a good driver for that purpose? I am in the process of getting a pair from a fellow member here who recently came across them.

Ron

paragon

K, E140

Sorry, forgotten this driver. Yes !

E140 flat response???

I am wondering how flat a E140 would be in a (front) horn-loaded enclosure. The flare freq is 150hz tractix wood horn(early Edgar approx 1996) and while it has a 4.5" X 4.5" throat, I was hoping to cheat and try the E140 driver on it and use it from 150hz up to approx 1khz.

Does anyone here have any opinions on this. I had originally thought of my E130/2225 driver, but it sounds damn good in the 3677 cabinet as a direct radiator.

I think my only problem (besides smaller than optimum throat size) will be the chrome dust cap adding extra artifacts that I don't need. I already have the parts, so may try it out to find out I am wrong just for the hell of it!

All comments welcome!!!

Ron

flat or not...

back in the mid 80's I rented PA's with 6 single scoops ( 4530's run off a single PSA2 ) that were loaded with E140's. The object was to get the punchiest LF for glam / rock bands for medium sized clubs.

The 2205 / 2225 also worked well but the tiny "burp" response designed into the '140 ( afterall it is a sound *producer* ) worked better the "reproducer" 2225.

The '145 was nice BUT very heavy and prone to magnet shifting with rough handling. And don't even think of using foamies...

The EV's poofed ( crappy 2.5" coil ) and the altecs met a similar fate.

However if you can find a set of Gauss 4580's, they will live forever + sound real nice...

sub

pangea

Horns

Hi everyone!

If anyone is looking for a great horn which also won't make a big hole in your wallet, I would like to recommend the Selenium HL 14-50 exponential horn, which in fact follows the Tractrix curve exactly and will load down to about 750Hz maybe even a bit lower if mounted flush with the baffle.

The horn adds absolutely no sound of it's own and it will fit almost everywhere.
    http://www.selenium.com.br/

I Bought mine from Parts Express BTW.

BR
    Roland

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I am wondering how flat a E140 would be in a (front) horn-loaded enclosure. The flare freq is 150hz tractix wood horn(early Edgar approx 1996) and while it has a 4.5" X 4.5" throat, I was hoping to cheat and try the E140 driver on it and use it from 150hz up to approx 1khz.

Does anyone here have any opinions on this. I had originally thought of my E130/2225 driver, but it sounds damn good in the 3677 cabinet as a direct radiator.

I think my only problem (besides smaller than optimum throat size) will be the chrome dust cap adding extra artifacts that I don't need. I already have the parts, so may try it out to find out I am wrong just for the hell of it!

All comments welcome!!!

Ron
    Hi. Yes this thread is old. I use the 4530 with k145 in a corner but seem to lack the response to my mid horn (2350 @ 600Hz). I'm cutting at 68Hz, 24dB and a 4642 with 2240 handle the low.

This very efficient e130 could maybe better sum up with my 2350. But will the e130 still perform with nice "kick" down to say 70Hz.

Any thoughts?

Regards Flemming

P.S Even that I play loud sometime the k145's xmax is at no time in danger. Cant see any movement, therefore I will, maybe dare to try the e130.

Thread Information