Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4333 layout/dimensions needed .....

4333 layout/dimensions needed .....

Hey DIYers,

I have all the components for my DIY 4333-ish project. I'm using a 2235H, 2425J, 2405H, and 2312/L92 combo. I have the components for some home-built 3105 crossovers and I intend to bi amp the system using an Ashley active crossover between the LF and the MF/HF components.

What I don't have is dimensions for the cabinet or the layout and sizes of the baffle cutouts. Can anyone assist? I have searched the site but haven't found anything. Could be my search methods but any help would be appreciated. I'm figuring on a 5 cu ft cabinet so port info would be great too. My copy of Winspk is pooched ......

Thanks!

Here's the 4333B general model pdf from jbl pro website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Remusr, I already have that document. Are the dimensions of the cabinet the outside or inside dimensions?

What I'm really looking for is the locations and sizes of the holes on the baffle. I can probably just lay them out in a way that makes sense but I was hoping for specific cutout sizes and locations. I'm sure somebody on this site has built a similar cabinet before, I'm hoping they might have some plans to share.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Original Brochure 4333A link as JPG's here at Lansing Heritage:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...-4331-4333.htm

Dimensions:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...4333/page4.jpg

Same from JBL Pro as Pdf's for 4333B model:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4331b_4333b.pdf

Hope this helps. You should contact member riessen as he has done a lot of DIY and I think has the dimensions and cutouts.

See this thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=5907

Regards,

Bart

4331/4333

I will look thru my notebooks to find the drawings I have for this cabinet and baffle. Give me a few days to find them. I will not have time to refine them so you'll have to sift thru my notes and drawings to determine what you need.

4333 is great
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

4333A baffle layout

Here's a photo with the woofer out:

Some dimensions

Dimensions:

Overall:
    Height: 30 5/8"
    Width: 24 3/8"
    Depth: 17 9/16" from back edge to nose of bevel on the front.

Baffle details: Made of 3/4" fine-ply stock
    Width: 22 1/4"
    Height: 28 1/2"
    Backset from nose of the edge: 3/4"

Location of holes: All distances are from baffle edge with my ruler butted up against the inside of the nosing.
    Woofer: 3" from the right, 2 1/8" above the bottom.
    Tweeter holes: 1 1/2" from the side, 5" down from the top
    mid horn: 4 1/2" down from the top, centered on baffle
    These three holes are all centered on the same horizontal line (with speaker upright).

You can get the hole diameters from specs or from your components, and then locate the centers.

Port: 4 and a fat 1/8 inside diameter; it's 4 1/2" long; 1 3/8" from the side and 2" up from the bottom.

4333A cabinet back

The back is as you see it; the dimensions are the same as for the baffle.
    The stock is 3/4" MDF (I guess). The stock for the sides measures a fat 1 1/16"; it might be a metric size--25mm.

The upper hatch gives access to the back of the horn. The lower one is for the entry panel, obviously. You may want to size and locate these for yourself, though here are some measurements:

The compression driver hatch is 8 1/8" by 9", 2" down from the top and it is centered in the baffle side to side; it's corners are radiused as you can see. I have not had this off, but I think the outer screws mount the hatch and the inner ones mount the cradle for the driver, which is also padded with two layers of the thin foam padding you will often see thrown into a box by your favorite ebay seller.

The cutout for the input posts is 4 1/4" by 5 1/2", but you may want to make you own arrangement here.

The inset of the back is 1/4"

The larger screw heads with washers (one has a tag saying not to remove them) are for mounting hanging hardware. The large Philips head screws you see in the back and in the baffle are also related to that.

The cabinets are veneered on all four sides, not a necessity if you plan on always using them vertically, and an integral base might be a worthwhile addition. With the cabinet sitting on the floor the tweeter and midrange are two low (unless you sit on the floor too; then it's perfect). You will notice that the arrangement of the midhorn and tweeter openings permits both mirror imaging in the vertical position and also horizontal positioning, which, with the tweeter right over the midhorn, may actually produce better imaging.

If you need more photos let me know. I can't do much with the foilcal with my digital camera, but if you want to try and have one made, let me know; I can get a high definition shot of it with a film camera and get it to you.

Nosing profile and other details.

I can't see what the cabinet joinery details are, although riessen probably knows. I'll sketch the nosing tomorrow.
    And then there's the grille frame. It's not too soon to order your grille cloth from Mr. Zed.

By the way, you should look into building the updated version of the 3133 crossover for this speaker; here's the thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=3133

The edge detail on the front is interesting because the inset of the baffle is greater that the apparent depth of the beveled piece. It may be that there is no solid walnut trim piece here, but I am not going to dig out any paint to find out. It could be that the front of the side, top and bottom panels is beveled and veneer applied. I am trying to get a drawing installed here, but I am not adept with the software. Inset of baffle is 3/4"; angle of bevel is 118 degrees from the plane of the side or top/bottom. The bevel distance is 1". It is not sharp at the front; there is a 1/8" flat running along that edge. The extension of the bevel from the edge of the casing panels is 7/16". Not very clear, I know, but the drawing, when I can get it posted, will help.

4333A Interior photos

Interior photos: Several shots of the interior arrangements of the bracing and hardware. The bracing is made of 1" by 2 1/2" stock, and it feels like it was kiln dried, so I wouldn't ask green lumber to do this job (that is, don't just use scraps of 2 x 4 unless it's been drying for a few years and you can cut and plane it square and true). Each panel has two braces which divide it roughly into thirds of its long dimension, except the back, whose braces are vertical. There is some deviation from exact thirds to provide offset of the braces in the corners where they meet at the top and bottom of the back. Everything is glued and screwed and then covered with wrap-on insulation (except the inside of the baffle). As you can seen, the baffle was sprayed next.

Obsolete
    What I don't have is dimensions for the cabinet or the layout and sizes of the baffle cutouts. Can anyone assist?

That's exactly what I like to see posted in response Speakerdave.
    Thanks.

4331/4333

Keep the faith. I'm still looking for one of my notebooks that has all of my drawings for this enclosure. I'll look again tonight. Hopefully it will surface as it has other info that I don't need to lose. My drawing will give you the complete baffle layout with location of all holes.

Baffle and back were 3/4" baltic birch from JBL. Here's some pics that may help in the interim. I used MDF for the backs so the screws on the back show where I screwed thru the back into the braces. JBL screwed the braces from inside thru the brace and into the baltic birch back, and there are no screws showing on the back side.

Back with more info when I find my notebook.

Regards - Rick

4331/4333

I may not be completely correct saying that the back was always baltic birch. I seem to recall seeing a pair that had the back made of particle board. You may want to ask other owners to see what they have. Baltic birch is the only baffle material I have seen, on many many pairs. The cabinet top, sides and bottom were 1" veneered particle board.

My pics show the cabinets before they were complete. The finished product was an accurate copy of the factory cabinets. The back had the holes for eye-bolt hanging along with the steel brackets inside the cabinets. I believe my drawings show them too.

Thread Information