Thread: Your thoughts on the best woofers for a free-standing sub

Your thoughts on the best woofers for a free-standing sub

Let me begin by saying I don't want to spend more than $250 for the speaker.

I going to build a sub enclosure to supplement a set of psudo-L100s I'm building. My initial thought was to use a pair of Infinity Kappa 12.1D subs. However, on reflection I'd like to go JBL and all things being equal vintage would be nice. I'm now considering using a single 15" JBL. I'm eager to hear your thoughts as to best speaker (within my budget) and cabinet design. Don

2235H in B380 box.

It's documented near the end of this article:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1983-subs.htm

I think the port dimensions are wrong there, tho. If you decide to build one, check back here. I'll confirm the actual dimensions for you.

Port is 4" dia. x 9" long on mine.

Forum member Hamilton built a pair of them recently, right rear here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=19

Best route to a "like new" 2235H is to recone a blown 2225H with a 2235H cone kit....

Thanks Zilch! I've bee reading through past posts, and continue to do so. Most assume a starting point such as an existing speaker or cabinet. Since I have neither it's time to think outside the box (wink, wink, nod, nod). Beau coupe info to wade through! Don

Hello HipoFutura

Is that $250 for the whole works or just the driver??? 2235 is a good choice but buying frames and then doing a recone is going to eat that budget up fast. The recone kit prices are up from what they were last year say up from $120 to $170. You going to use a subwoofer plate amp as well???? That's another $150 on the cheap.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'd like to keep the cost of the woofer under $300. That doesn't include the cost of constructing the cabinet. I have a Phase Linear 400 power amp to drive the sub. I can bridge it and drive 400 watts RMS at 8 ohms.

The 2245H and cabinet that Zilch directed me to looks like the ticket. A walnut veneer to match the L100s should look very sharp! Now I just have to find an affordable woofer.

Don

I would certainly go with a 2245 over the 2235 if you can afford the space. You may also find a Sub1500. They are in your price range and are really awesome... unfortunately, finding one may be difficult. They do turn up occasionally.

Widget

I'd like to keep the cost of the woofer under $300.
    Oh good you have the amp. That's a realistic budget for a driver. You are going to have to add something like the BX-63 to get the alignment right. Read through the article to see the boost and subsonic filter that the box adds to makes the system complete. Some of the plate amps have this boost available with resistor changes on the boards. Just as an option.

Have Fun

Rob

I have a PL active x-over that sits between the PL 3000 and the two PL 400s. Should do the trick.

Time permitting I may start cabinet construction next weekend. I have very little time for fun projects, so this is likely to run into the fall. I'm going to go with the 8 cu ft cabinet Zilch pointed out. Thank you!

Don

Thread Information