Thread: When the hartsfield wasn't good enough????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When the hartsfield wasn't good enough????

My neighbor built this speaker in 1950's, His wife gave it to me when he died many years ago.
    The components are the origional hartsfield 150-4C 15" woofer 375 driver and the obvious proper horn lens combination and the 500 Hz crossover.
    He obviously didn't stop there, The bottom part of the enclosure is its own seperate rear laoded 18" horn. Since JBL didn't make an 18" then He mounted a EV-18W. In the eighties we replaced the EV with a JBL 18 that had just come out.
    on the top sits the JBL C41 Angelus which elegantly added the 075 ring radiator the system.
    We last powered this system with two McIntosh Mc75 Amps.
    I still have this entire system intact and am just starting to pull this out of my warehouse that is going to be demolished in a few months.What do I do with thiws baby???Montana is a long away from LA.
    PS ( I did actually own a Hartsfield in the seventies, the $500 I got for it then helped me get started in my audio business)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Gary,

What a wild system!

More pictures please, don't think I've ever seen an Angelus before.

Thanks for the post,
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Wow!!!

That thing is a monster! Thanks for sharing...

What does one do with a dinosaur? There must be a loving home for it somewhere... maybe time to start a museum of personal audio oddities....

Widget

Steve Gonzales

Cool

That is a cool looking piece there. Unfortunately, the real value is in the parts. One thing I noticed is that the HL89 is not baffled. As I recall, that horn/lens combo is rated down to 500hz only with a substantial baffle. Having said that it is only valuable in parts, there is the odd chance that someone out there would consider buying it whole and keep it whole. Looks like you might have a pair of gold lenses w/horns, a couple of mismatched 375's and a 150-4C, not a bad little collection.

Hartsfiels components ect....

I have had many personal replies about the parts, I really wuold like to sell the cabinet complete since someone needs to keep it alive in its present form.
    Below are some of the replies I have sent in relation to readers Questions....
    The catalogs I have show the
    Angelus enclosure listed as an accessory without drivers mounted. Perhaps the dealer or the end user mounted the parts, The crossover in mine is situated near the center and would not clear the magnet if it were moved in. Perhaps JBL shipped them both ways depending on when you bought them. I Will look at mine sometime this week.
    I really want to sell the whole speaker with components as the components themselves are hot right now. If I start selling parts I'm afraid the box will end up scrap, which would be a real shame.

Baffle

In the large speaker the HL89 was not baffled as it should for the 500 hz crossoven. Notice on the HL89 to the left in the picture there is a baffle mounted. This was a JBL part that came with the mounting kit and the horn when I bought these components.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wolf
    I have had many personal replies about the parts, I really wuold like to sell the cabinet complete since someone needs to keep it alive in its present form.

I really want to sell the whole speaker with components as the components themselves are hot right now. If I start selling parts I'm afraid the box will end up scrap, which would be a real shame.
    I agree completely! We have all seen piles of 375s, HL89s, and even quite a few 150-4Cs.... selling off the parts would be a crime.

Good Luck finding a home for that magnificent piece!

Widget

Plans for this speaker.

I actually have the origional plans for this speaker showing all the internal flares for the two bass horns which are completely independent. In addition I have the layout for the plywood cuts when the speaker was constructed.
    The rear horn for the 18" in the lower cabinet starts below the woofer, goes to the back of the cabinet, up behind the 15" center section and exits out the midrange horn area. This is about a 10 foot tapering rear horn. I beleive the bottom flange is adjustable externally for changing the coupling on this horn for room characteristics.
    The upper bass cabinet is also rear loaded horn and has its horn sections on the sides of the 150-4c woffer that is inclosed in the center. All you see is the opening but these horns snake to the back and then to the front in a continuous linear taper at least 5 to six feet long.
    I can put together a complete packege of information if someone is interrested in This entire speaker.
    Please post your questions on the open forum.
    Webmaster...If there is another place where this discussion should thake place let me know. Thanks Gary

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    would you be willing to share the plans for the general public?

that would be extremely interesting, for me at least....

Thread Information