Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Mixer

jimd

Music Mixer

As a sound contracter, I probably ought to know this. I have a client who has a Ballroom/Dance Studio. The loudspeakers are ALTEC 311-90s with 288-8K drivers, coupled with four (2 per side) 15" custom woofers. The power is QSC, biamplified. It's about to get time aligned (via QSC crossovers) and a new dual 1/3 octave MicroAudio multi-programmable equalizer.
    The problem is the head end. Currently we are using an old JVC mono home recording mixer with four microphone inputs and four line inputs. For their use, other than being mono, it works pretty well, operation wise. The thing does not have enough drive and is getting elderly. We need a replacement, something equally easy to use, stereo and much higher fidelity.

A number of their dance teachers use this thing, but most are absolutelty technicaly challenged. I thought of a disco mixer, but they have too many knobs, an equalizer and other functions to misadjust. I thought of a Mackie 1202 or 1402, but again the same problem, plus I don't think they are that Hi-Fi.

This system sounds great when it's properly adjusted, I gave up trying to keep it in adjustment, every time I set it, they goof it up, that's why the to be installed programmable EQ.

They need at least two LO Z mic imputs and two-three stereo line imputs, any ideas?

Let me know, JIM

Actually, a DJ mixer is a great idea. Rane offers many mixer models at various pricepoints. Fairly intuitive to use, and the controls are all labeled.

Here are relatively economical models with all the line level ins and 2 mic inputs.>>>>>>

http://www.rane.com/mp22z.html

http://www.rane.com/mm8z.html

The EQ in these mixers are defeatable if you need to.
    scottyj

The small Mackie mixers are not really bad, I have both a 1202 and a 1402 that I use on very small sound jobs that only need a couple of mics. The larger Mackie's now that another story. My 24 and 32 channel boards are Allen Heath GL series. I know what your saying about keeping something simple and operator proof but sometimes I have found if they only have one knob to adjust it is too many!
    What QSC crossovers are you using, the modules that go directly on the backs of the amps.

Mike Caldwell

jimd
    The QSC amps are CX series, the crossover are XC-3s, as I remember. I will use the resistor based time offset function to align the speakers. I love this combination, it sounds great. Thanks for your ideas, open to more. JIM

Hello
    IF your are planning on operating in stereo you will need two amps and two of the XC-3's. Each XC3 is mono and by connecting it to the port on the amp it makes ch1 the lows and ch2 highs. If you would use one of the QSC DSP modules they would also give you a full eq as well and eliminate the need for the external eq. You do need to connect the DSP modules to a PC to set them up.

Mike Caldwell

Hi,

The purpouse of your system is to mix 3 stereo CD sources as I understood and have 3 Mic inputs .

The company that can do this in a professional way woould be Harris.
    They have multiple stereo inputs on their mixers. These are Radio station Mixer. Nothing wrong with that.

Music sounds great on their studio monitors.

This is my .02cents worth.

JBL Dog
    I use American Audio mixers with my DJ rigs. They run about $200, great little board for the price. You can run two mics simultaneously and there's more line level inputs than you'll ever need. Here's an Ebay lsiting of what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-AUDIO-Q...QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck!

Hi, Jimd...

QSC CX-series. Nice. You're the only other here that has posted about used them. I got racks, and racks...

If one knob is too many, then it doesn't matter that there are more than one. Just make a crib sheet, post in near the console, and show them what a "normal" input should be set like.

As Mike sez, Mackie are OK. If you can, go one step higher with Soundcraft - their mic pre's are far superior. More headroom, and nicer EQ on each strip. These are all pretty liquid on eBay, if that's your budget.I migrated my my brother in-law into a FX8, Ashly GQX3102, for his JBL 4628B Cabaret's, which I powered with a QSC CX. He is more than pleased with the improved sound of the Soundcraft FX.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

jimd
    T answer above, have a 4 channel OSC CX, can't remember the #, and two XC3s to Biamp. One of the XC3s is connected with a DP plug cord extension because it just won't fit onto the socket, no room. I am using the MicroAudio Dual EQ because I prefer analog equalizers, they sound better to my ears. The MA can hold up to 8 different curves, and these, in my opinion, are about the nicest sounding 1/3 octaves I've ever heard. Thanks to everyone for the advice, JIM

Hello
    I have to say I had never heard of Micro Audio before. I did a quick web search and found their site but it looks like they shut down at the end of last year. The product info was still up on their site however.

Like Bo I'm a big QSC user, there all the Power Light 2 series along with a few Crown Macro Techs.

Your must be the CX-4 and that will do stereo bi-amped all in the one amp.

Mike Caldwell

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell
    Like Bo I'm a big QSC user, there all the Power Light 2 series along with a few Crown Macro Techs.

Mike Caldwell
    My QSC family includes:

(3) PLX3402
    (3) MX1500a
    (2) MX3000a
    (1) MX2000a

I also have a Crown Macrotech 1200 that has been in service since 1988.

QSC may be the best bang for the buck.

Hello
    Another idea for a mixer would be one of the rack mount units from Ashly.
    They have a few different models that offer mic and line inputs.

Mike Caldwell

RIP 2009
    Here's a great little JBL/Soundcraft mixer, similar to what Bo mentioned: http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDCRAFT-SPIRI...QQcmdZViewItem

I've got the 8 channel version and really like it.

John

jimd
    Thanks for the linc to the Soundcraft. It is a great unit for you and me, way too many controls for the operators, most would throw up their hands and go a get a boom box. This thing has to be dead duck simple, and yet work well. Jim.

I still say a simple, and economical DJ mixer will be the simplest solution. For sure, they offer the line level inputs and mic inputs you are seeking, and EQ sections are defeatable.

And, they all sound fairly good.
    scottyj

Thread Information