Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ElectroVoice T35 - anyone familiar with them?

Maron Horonzakz
    Thom I hate to disagree with you, But the T35 is a flawed tweeter....Many years ago at the central instatute of tha deaf....In the anechoic chamber we ran a frequency plot on a few EV T35 tweeters ...They took a nose dive at 10K....Last year John Warren wrote a article on the T35 useing those very same plots....Various Klipsch K77/T35 have been made that are even worse....They do make excellent paper weights though.

I'm sure not going to fight over it. It sure wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. If that is all the higher it goes how do some people find it to have such an edge while others listening to the same one don't? I always figured it was because it did something nasty where not all of us hear. It certainly has it's detractors there's no doubt about that. I used to have one portable so you could hook it into systems as a selling tool. You could hear the difference on top of an 001 system. I'm not saying that everybody liked the difference but it brought out sparkle that the 175 didn't show. It sure wasn't an 075 but it was much cheaper. We didn't do much with the 350 as we mostly used EV when people just couldn't stretch to JBL. This was at least a million years ago and even then many people didn't much care for it. I just hadn't heard it wouldn't go over 10k. Don't recall reading that it could just surprises me.
    If I already owned them, unless I had no place for them, Id listen to them and then if I felt they were junk OK. That's a lot different than going out and buying them.

Maron Horonzakz
    Those are the facts,like it or not. The EV T35 was a dog...Poor quality control..Im really surprised a aluminum diaphram wasnt made for it. The mass of the phenaulic diaphram varied.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    The T35 is not a very good tweeter. Most start taking a dive at about 10K Klipsch would select those that would make it to 15K and send the rest back. I have a pair tested in a anechoic chamber just makes it to 10k I replaced the diaphrams & now get 14k. Diaphrams are inconsistent due to phenolic weight and thickness. The newer T35/ k77 today will get 15k to 17k. This tweeter should have been retired along time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

Nobody's been able to replicate EV's curves for T35 thus far, +/- 1.5 dB from 3.5 - 15+ kHz. Maybe if it were mounted on the requisite baffle:
    Zilch's image posted below... this post taken from Storm's Altec +EV thread.

Below that I have posted a plot of three T-35s. The blue and green T-35s were taken from my Klipsch Belle clones and have been babied their whole lives so I'd suggest their response is likely as new... the red plot is from a K-horn... I have no idea how hard it may have been driven.

I'd say that for a bunch of vintage drivers these are following their original specified curve better than most that we see here and for the record, I'd say these are not the terrible tweeters that Maron and Zilch seem to think they are. I guarantee they produce higher frequencies than many here can actually hear.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I'd say that for a bunch of vintage drivers these are following their original specified curve better than most that we see here...
    What I'm amazed by is the fact that those old published curves are nearly identical to those produced by the latest state of the art measuring equipment!

John

What are the measurement conditions, Widget? Do you have them on a baffle, or just freestanding on a pedestal?

I'm just setting up to remeasure the pair I have here (courtesy Jackgiff) for another project, actually.

If I still get the same result as originally, I propose we swap T-35s and each measure the other's samples....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    What are the measurement conditions...
    One meter on axis freestanding on a pedestal. Didn't your post say that you measured T35Bs? As I recall the T35B had a much smaller magnet and therefore will have a lower mass break point and less extended HF.

Either that or you have a tired old driver... I agree with Maron that the phenolic diaphragms are likely more difficult to manufacture to the tolerances required for ideal unit to unit performance. I was quite pleased to see that the pair that I bought together in the late '70s were as closely matched as they were.

Widget

T35B, yup, and they measure same as last year.

It'd steal 10 dB to flatten them to 14 kHz.

This is the driver used in 12TRXB, for example, crossed at 3.5 kHz, and those curves also reflect the characteric response:

T35B

That tweeter never was considered truly "Hi-Fi"... they were the very inexpensive little brother to the T35 and were sold back in the day when JBL considered the 375 as all you needed up top.

Maybe you shouldn't so quick to damn the T35. They certainly aren't JBL 045Bes, TAD ET-703s, or even EV-T350s, but the T35/T35A is actually pretty respectable... I've been enjoying this pair in the K-horns all weekend.

...and while they certainly aren't as impressively engineered as the vintage JBL ring radiators, I'd say that they are every bit as good and that the sonic difference is basically a subjective one.

Widget

I will certainly temper my criticism of T35 based upon your measurements (I DO very much like chrome, ) but T35B, and others incorporating it, are still fair game.

Which type was used by Klipsch?

What do we know definitively about T35A?

http://archives.telex.com/archives/E...T35A%20EDS.pdf

Klipsch never used the "B" version... I know that all of the ferrite versions like the one pictured in your link were called T35A, but I am fairly certain that the T35A was introduced prior to the ferrite models. I have used both T35s and T35As (all several decades ago) and am not sure of the difference, if any. Maybe EV was trying to follow JBL's lead in screwy and confusing model numbers.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    The little phase plug thingy was different between the two.... The Klipsch K77 is now made somewhere on the Pacific rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    The little phase plug thingy was different between the two....
    I know that is true between the original T35 and the T35A, but it appears that EV changed the design before they changed the name.

My T35s look just like Fangio's and the T35As I have had also looked the same. Here is a pic of the original T35. It has a narrower horn and no phase plug.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s View Post
    I have always liked the sound of the T-35 it is very different than the sound of a JBL tweeter. In the wrong situation though the T-35 can become a little annoying. I do find it less tiring on the ears than a lot of other tweets. the T-350 is in my opinion the best "horn" tweeter on the planet. Thats just my opinion. Now if I could only afford a pair lol
    I can say that the EV T350s are the cat's meow. I own a pair of them. The T350 was standard equipment on the huge EV's top-of-the-line Patrician speakers with a 30" woofer.

To my ears, the T350 are superior to the JBL 075/2405 ring radiator, and good rival to the JBL 077/2402 slot radiator. To my ears, I perfer the T350 over the 077/2402 because the high end sounds a bit clearer to my ears. That was 25 years ago, I doubt that today I can hear the difference with my aging ears.

Klipsch never used the "B" version... I know that all of the ferrite versions like the one pictured in your link were called T35A, but I am fairly certain that the T35A was introduced prior to the ferrite models. I have used both T35s and T35As (all several decades ago) and am not sure of the difference, if any. Maybe EV was trying to follow JBL's lead in screwy and confusing model numbers.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...2003#post42003

The other day there was an article in AudioXpress describing what was entailed in replacing the T35A (K-77) that was standard in the Klipschorn and other Klipsch speakers for decades. Here is an anechoic plot of the T35A from EV that was featured in that article. I knew the little buggers were bad... but good grief this is terrible.

Thread Information