Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVR7300 & 412 Report

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    When I got my 7300 and tried Logic 7, .
    My opinion is that Logic 7 rules in multi-channel setups.
    On the HK 7300, it can be used in 5.1 and 7.1.
    Okay - asking this to the OWNERS of AVR-7300 receivers ...

So - if I can get a used AVR-7300 for $400 with all the parts and accessories, would you think that's a reasonable deal?

I'd have to sell off my HK AVR-335 (its got Logic 7) and a Yamaha RX-N600,
    but I won't miss them with this kind of a power upgrade ..
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrewster77 View Post
    Thanks, I still can't seem to find out if the Logic 7 has front surround speakers ?

Quote Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
    Thanks, I still can't seem to find out if the Logic 7 has front surround speakers ?
    Logic 7 is a 7.1 system

LF Center RF (fronts)
    SUB (place as applicable)
    LS RS (side surrounds)
    LR RR (rear surrounds)

Are you asking about front Surround in addition to Front Mains?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Okay - asking this to the OWNERS of AVR-7300 receivers ...

So - if I can get a used AVR-7300 for $500 with all the parts and accessories, would you think that's a reasonable deal?

I'd have to sell off my HK AVR-335 (its got Logic 7) and a Yamaha RX-N600,
    but I won't miss them with this kind of a power upgrade ..
    This should work out nicely for you, I would do it !!!!
    The power supply is beastly in it with big toroidal transformer. It weighs about 55 lbs. If you are having it shipped, send a few extra bucks to have it professionally packed.

Originall posted by ka7niq
    I believe front surrounds is strictly a Yamaha innovation. This is not a concern for me, but if you insist on having these, by all means, stick with Yamaha !!

This should work out nicely for you, I would do it !!!!
    The power supply is beastly in it with big toroidal transformer. It weighs about 55 lbs. If you are having it shipped, send a few extra bucks to have it professionally packed.

I believe front surrounds is strictly a Yamaha innovation. This is not a concern for me, but if you insist on having these, by all means, stick with Yamaha !!
    Thanks for the info!
    It was a local buy - I missed one for $20 less over the weekend, but this was a fine deal ...
    Just brought it home, tho hookup will have to wait for the weekend ...

... but sheesh, its HEAVY, and its HUGE!

7 channels at 110watts each - whew!

Thanks for the info!
    It was a local buy - I missed one for $20 less over the weekend, but this was a fine deal ...

You should see (and lift) the 7200 sometime

Congrats on finding what you wanted! I doubt very much you will be disappointed (tuner and remote excepted of course...).

jblnut

Thanks for the info!

Cool, let us know how it works out.

AVR-7300 is a GO!! What a keeper!

Cool, let us know how it works out.
    My god - this thing is MAJOR steps above the AVR-335 - got it set to loop TIVOHD and AppleTV (just for music) Vids through the Composite Vid circuit ...
    really seems to clean everything up - pix are gorgeous - even on lower res stuff like BBC America ...
    (I did have the Apple TV and the OPPO vids on an external HDMI switch and to the TV, now its just the OPPO HDMI direct to the TV,
    and if I can find another RGB cable I may loop the OPPO composite through too, just as a test).

Overall audio sounds great - still running in 5.1 mode (max) (no room for another pair of speaks!)
    and stereo for CDs and such, plus still have the preamp out feed to the biamp gear and the 4341s -
    but even sound quality for that seems to have stepped up a notch.

Def a great improvement on sources!

I'm half tempted to pull the biamp rack out of the path for a bit and just let the receiver run everything,
    just to see how it does.

I mean - I've got 2425s to install at some point so the rack has to come off the left speaker for a while anyway ...

I do think I'm going to REALLY hate the remote as time goes by,
    but once I select sources I can use the TIVO remote for volume and mute.

Thanks to you guys for the feedback - I do appreciate your inputs!

One final comment - pulled the rack and found the OPPO DV981hd didn't HAVE composite (RGB) outs - so -
    I've left it with its HDMI line tied directly to the TV, and left all the OPPO's various audio outs
    (Analog L and R, 6 Direct for SACDs and DVD-A, and optical for Movies etc) tied directly to the AVR 7300.
    Still sounds great!

Played a bit of the Tommy SACD - very nice!

We played a TIVOHD recording from Palladia channel (shares the channel with MTVHD I think ??) of The Who - Electric Proms - it was originally done for BBC3. Amazing clear video and really fine audio. 2005-06 era Who, I think.
    Pity its a 50 min show with commercials - I'd love to get the whole 2 hour show on DVD!

Anyway, it looked and sounded amazing!

That's interesting about HDMI still working with the other audio outs. I was under the impression (mistaken perhaps) that when you used HDMI, all the other audio and video outs were muted as part of some kind of copy protection scheme baked into HDMI. Now maybe the Oppo doesn't have this "feature", but I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who uses HDMI. Does it still allow you to use your digital audio outs ?

jblnut

Another thing - I had bought 2 HK changers in recent years as they had the Brown-burr chip used to decode HDCD discs. Unlike SACDs, HDCD can be played in regular CD players and sound normal, but with HDCD decoding, you get extra information and a better sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCD
    "HDCD encodes the equivalent of 20 to 24 bits worth of data in a 16-bit digital audio signal by using custom dithering, audio filters, and some reversible amplitude and gain encoding; Peak Extend, which is a reversible soft limiter and Low Level Range Extend, which is a reversible gain on low-level signals. There is thus a benefit at the expense of increase in noise"

Anyway - yesterday I tried one of my HDCD discs in the OPPO player. the Obisash remaster of Bryan Ferry's Boys and Girls. I had originally set the HK AVR 7300 CD input to use the analog rca pair - and it worked well, but reading the manual said to use the digital input. So, I went into setup, pointed the CD input to the Optical 3 input, saved the settings, and tried again. This time I can see the letters HDCD displayed on the lower part of the receiver's display!
    So - no more dependance on the player decoding the HDCD - the receiver does it, so I could use any quality player with optical outs! Very cool!

Originally posted by hjames
    #1 HK AVR7300 + 4341 , LC2, B380 sub, L20T3, L20T
    #2 Yamaha CR-2040 + L200 3ways + L100T

It looks like you stuck with the AVR 7300 rather than bi-amping your 4341s. I'm curious how the different amp set ups compare with each other .

PS - I need to borrow a camera, but will post some shots of my set up in the next few days.

So, I went into setup, pointed the CD input to the Optical 3 input, ... the receiver does it, so I could use any quality player with optical outs! Very cool!
    I want to second this experience, although it took me quite a time to realize it.
    Audio-CD, MP3-CD, DVD-Dolby, DVD-DTS are played with one setting, SACD and DVD-A with another one when in multichannel mode. For the latter the analog/digital switching is done automatically.

(Unfortunately SACD und DVD-A via analog are mediocre compared to DTS via optical - Pioneer player into Panasonic receiver.
    What about the Oppo?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    I want to second this experience, although it took me quite a time to realize it.

(Unfortunately SACD und DVD-A via analog are mediocre compared to DTS via optical - Pioneer player into Panasonic receiver.
    What about the Oppo?)

This has more to do with the analog section of your player. ...
    No doubt, but with the Oppo is there SACD /DVD-A via analog better than DVD-DTS via digital?

Thread Information