Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AVR7300 & 412 Report

Harman Kardon AVR 7300

Okay - its been 2 1/2 years since I last visited this thread - you guys have had a chance to really thrash your gear and get to know it.

I've seen the AVR-7300 come up for sale from time to time and I've got to ask - now that you've had it for a while, what's your long-term feelings. Still really liking this unit?

I've got one of the lesser units AVR 335 - and its really nice - but I'm using preamp out for the front mains and sub to feed external amps and such ... I'd probably do the same with the 7300, but its got the Faroudja circuits and such for the video, and 110 watts/channel would help my surrounds ...

But it sounds like video performance is quite enhanced with this unit ...

What do you think, should I go chase one down?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Speaking for myself, I still adore both the receiver and the speakers. I won't say that I think wistfully of my gigantic dearly departed rack O gear and the 4343s but for the money, it's a fabulous setup. If you find either the speakers or the 7300 you will not be sorry, guaranteed...

Don't rule out the 7200....

If you're willing to sacrifice a little on the video side of the unit, you might look into the AVR7200. I picked one up used about 6 months ago. From what I can find, it's the largest and heaviest AVR ever made. It is a beast physically, but sonically it's a gem. I haven't gone to HDMI yet and I run the video directly into the TV.

Like most AVR's the remote is a nightmare and the FM tuner is bested by your average clock radio. But the amps are very sweet and extremely powerful. It has a useful (now with 2 levels) compressor for DD bitstreams to keep things quiet yet intelligeible at night. It has the a newer DTS decoder too and will do 6.1. It also has "global bass management" which lets you decide the xover frequency for all channels and the sub.

I sold my AVR300 for $100 and bought this for $300. All in all, a very useful upgrade for $200.

jblnut

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    It is a beast physically, but sonically it's a gem.
    I like it because it has that old school Harman Kardon sound that goes very well with legacy JBL loudspeakers.

I haven’t once thought about getting another receiver since getting the AVR 7300. It puts out 110W/channel and if I turn it up enough, it will probably pop a circuit breaker. The S412Ps play clear and warm with it. I am happier with this set up than when I first got it. I have made some upgrades. The first was to get the Modwright treatment on my Sony NS999ES player. I liked Logic 7 when it worked, but I was constantly bouncing between it and PL2X. After getting the Modwright, Logic 7 became the default setting. It got a little goofy at times, but PL2x doesn’t come close to sonic qualities of Logic 7. The other upgrade was the LS Center. Logic 7 is 100% problem free since this came in. The LS Center has a nice synergy with the S412Ps, S38s and S36AWs. It is very satisfying to listen to at comfortable volume levels and really brings the music home.

THAT is the way to do it! Send the picture to where in belongs ... to the TV. The sound?, well let the processor do the work. I am not so much into the 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8, 9 or 10.1. I care more about the music ... in 2 channels. How many concert's have you been in with ? ch sound? They are on the stage, no ? ch sound there.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    If you're willing to sacrifice a little on the video side of the unit, you might look into the AVR7200. I picked one up used about 6 months ago. From what I can find, it's the largest and heaviest AVR ever made. It is a beast physically, but sonically it's a gem. I haven't gone to HDMI yet and I run the video directly into the TV.

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    THAT is the way to do it! Send the picture to where in belongs ... to the TV. The sound?, well let the processor do the work. I am not so much into the 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8, 9 or 10.1. I care more about the music ... in 2 channels. How many concert's have you been in with ? ch sound? They are on the stage, no ? ch sound there.
    I do have my stereo system with the L200s/3-ways that are basically 4333s - but this question was about the AVR-7300 multichannel receiver.

I use my downstairs system with a Harman Kardon AVR 335 frontend and biamped 4341s mostly in stereo mode for music, - but I do use it in multichannel 5.1 mode for TV, Movies, surround stuff - whatever

I had asked for perspectives on the Harman Kardon AVR 7300 gear from OWNERS of that gear.

Why would you give your opinion on multichannel sound equipment if you don't even like or USE multichannel sound equipment?

THIS forum is Lansing Product General Information
    Its all about music, and movies, and so much more ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to have two rooms, and I appreciate being able to listen to music in either 2 channel or surround. Both have their place and I can easily find something to like about either one.

For the record, Pink Floyd was the only touring band I saw (and heard) with multi-channel sound. It has been done, but not by many.

Let's play nice please...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    The sound?, well let the processor do the work. I am not so much into the 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8, 9 or 10.1. I care more about the music ... in 2 channels. How many concert's have you been in with ? ch sound? They are on the stage, no ? ch sound there.
    True enough, but there are a lot of ways to audio nirvana. I always thought multi channel had a lot of interesting possibilities, I'm doing fine with that and JBL. You have stuff that most of us can only dream about and that's got to be fine

Sorry for my confused head. Just read the post, and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I do have my stereo system with the L200s/3-ways that are basically 4333s - but this question was about the AVR-7300 multichannel receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    [FONT=Arial]After getting the Modwright, Logic 7 became the default setting.
    In my opinion, Logic 7 is the best part of HK receivers... since Harman owns Lexicon, they can put it in even their more basic units... pretty nice. That's something that Denon, Yamaha, and the others just can't do.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Speaking for myself, I still adore both the receiver and the speakers. I won't say that I think wistfully of my gigantic dearly departed rack O gear and the 4343s but for the money, it's a fabulous setup. If you find either the speakers or the 7300 you will not be sorry, guaranteed...
    I owned, and liked the AVR 7000.
    I got a Yamaha RX V1 in a trade, using it with the JBL S412P's.
    Works fine, really LOVE the S412P''s
    I spoke with Greg Timbers a week or so ago about the 412's.
    Greg said he was VERY pleased with them.
    I asked for a crossover schematic to swap out the NPE caps in the S412P's to better poly caps.
    Honestly, I like the JBL S 412 P's SOO much, afraid to mess with them !
    My S412's sound a LITTLE betteer using the RX V1 as a preamp to drive a Luxman M 117 and a GTDAudio 750 amp on the JBL S412P's.
    But not "enough" to leave things that way.
    So, I placed the big GTDAudio 750 amp back on my passive subwoofers, and run the 412;s off only the Yamaha RX V1.
    The JBL S412's are everything I hoped my L7's would be.
    I have the matching S Series 3 way Center speaker, except it is Silver, and my S412'P's have copper colored drivers.
    Mine are series ones, done by Greg Timbers.
    The silver colored drivers are series 2 S412P's, slightly re done by another engineer.
    I have never compared the two series.
    Greg Timbers told me ALL the speakers in THAT series were extremely good.
    We BOTH wondered why that series never "caught on" ??
    I am reluctant to give up the Yamaha RX V1
    It has Yamaha's 44 bit DSP with FRONT surround speakers that REALLY stretch the soundfield.
    Once you have HEARD Yamaha's DSP system properly set up with ALL the speakers arrayed in your room, there IS "no going back" IMHO.
    The front surround speakers created DEPTH in the front soundstage like you have never heard.
    Transforming your home into something better then most Movie Theatres.
    DTS, 7.1, THX, Dolby Digital and Pro Logic ALL pale by comparasion.
    2 CH on the Yamaha RX V1 is NOT as good as my best High End Preamps/Amps, but it is still musical.
    I am SOO Sold on the Yamaha DSP system, that I will not even consider any receiver/processor lacking it!
    I have a Onkyo 919 THX Receiver, and recently sold a Big JVC RX DP 9.
    The Onkyo 919 is a beast, THX Ultra rated at 250 wpc into 4 ohms!
    The JVC was a nice receiver, all individual power supply caps, and JVC's Upsampler CC Convertor built in.
    VERY nice sounding, able to laugh at 4 ohm loads too.
    But NO front surround speakers, and 44 bit LSI DSP like the Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    In my opinion, Logic 7 is the best part of HK receivers... since Harman owns Lexicon, they can put it in even their more basic units... pretty nice. That's something that Denon, Yamaha, and the others just can't do.

Widget
    Logic 7 ?
    Never heard it.
    Does it use FRONT surround/effects speakers like Yamaha does with 44 bit LSI DSP ?
    IF so, it might be something I will consider

http://www.harmankardon.com/technolo...term=Logic%207

Best,
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
    Logic 7 ?
    Never heard it.
    Does it use FRONT surround/effects speakers like Yamaha does with 44 bit LSI DSP ?

Quote Originally Posted by ka7niq View Post
    Logic 7 ?
    Never heard it.
    Lexicon is one of the two best companies making processors for musical instruments. They got into home audio and surround sound before anyone knew what home theater was. Their stuff was high dollar and second to none. When I got my 7300 and tried Logic 7, I was disappointed at first. It could sound good, but at the expense of an overly fat sound and a lack of clarity and detail. Since making the improvements in my setup, Logic 7 delivers everything I believed Lexicon processing promised. I heard a Yamaha a few years ago with a set of Deftec speakers. In stereo, they sounded like crap. With the Yamaha processing, they sounded pretty good, but it was obvious that there was some heavy processing going on. I wondered if my 412s would sound the same as the Deftecs if I used the same processing. Logic 7 processing is much less noticeable. It sounds closer to stereo than any of the other surround modes, but it puts the music into an amazing space. The sound becomes solid and you can just about smell it in the air. It doesn’t sound gimmicky in any way. I guess opinions are like butts, everybody has one and it stinks . My opinion is that Logic 7 rules in multi-channel setups.

I don't know about front surrounds, On the HK 7300, it can be used in 5.1 and 7.1.

Thread Information