Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 Way using AMT Heil.

Hi Steve

I happen to have a pair of free floating Heil AMT's so it was pretty easy to generate a fresh curve. The mike was set at 0.5m, with impulse gating wide open (to see LF limits) and 1/10 octave smoothing (I did not set a reference level). You will need a little compensation to get the top end to be really flat. Otherwise the AMT's do have an interesting sound to them.

Best regards,
    Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, there's two independent results half a world apart in substantial agreement.

[Love it when that happens.... ]

My friend is using 123a & AMT1 combination and is preparing text for this project. Visit his web http://www.moxtone.com/Slavooy.htm and contact him for the details.

I am new as well and have already made a two way using the Heil series 1C, upgraded crossover parts on the original AMT crossover (Madisound) and used an Altec 414c mid/woofer due to its quickness. Bass is not strong but the transparency is quite good. Used a modified transmission line similar to a 1/4 wave and minimal distance between the altec and the heil to properly converge the waves at the 800 hz crossover. The Heil as I recall is 97 db/watt/1meter/4 ohm efficient which is a good match for the altec at 96db/8ohm. The old crossover provides matching for output and frequency response on the tweeter anyway so it worked reasonably well. I like my pair very much.
    More could be done of course by the experts here but I was pleased with the results of my first project to the point I have no desire for an upgrade after using them for almost a year.

Stick with the AMT1 to start

Get yourself a pair of AMT1's. Drop an Altec 414c where the woofer is. Keep the passive. You are on your way. When you have the time/motivation/inspiration go ahead and start experimenting with a woofer as a sub or part of a three way. Or as an intermediate step re-design your two way and crossover using the same drivers. Maybe try a petite onken. Or go with a big t-line.
    I personally started from scratch with an Altec/Heil combo using a modified QWTL. It weighed in at about 4.5 cu. ft. total. Bass roll off began at 55 hz and I was never quite satisfied with its reach to the bottom. That said the quality of the bass was quite good, and overall a more remarkable speaker than the KEF 104/2's they replaced, particularly in the transparency department where they are no slouches. Slightly more dynamic as well with crossover upgrades. You will need to keep that crossover to begin with, unless you are going to an active one, as things get complicated using such a high efficiency 4 ohm tweeter matched to an 8 ohm midbass. I almost maxed out the built in attenuation on the heil crossover and found the frequency adjustment helpful as well.
    As I said I am now moving on to a two way plus sub or a three way. Just got a pair of JBL 2235H's to experiment with but I will for sure be doing away with the bottom part of the t-line I built for the two ways. I will stick with the 414c's in the midbass for now rather than try to stretch the voice of the JBL's (as a two way option) as the Altec's are such a good match for the quickness and transparency of the Heil's- I know I would lose something if I eliminated them to go straight to the JBL's. I will be going with all new crossovers through ERSE Audio when I decide which way to go; be that two way plus sub or three way. The sub option takes up more floor space but is much easier to tune for room acoustics. Wish me luck. We sure have passion for this hobby don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by cerondipity View Post
    As I said I am now moving on to a two way plus sub or a three way. Just got a pair of JBL 2235H's to experiment with but I will for sure be doing away with the bottom part of the t-line I built for the two ways. I will stick with the 414c's in the midbass for now rather than try to stretch the voice of the JBL's (as a two way option) as the Altec's are such a good match for the quickness and transparency of the Heil's- I know I would lose something if I eliminated them to go straight to the JBL's. I will be going with all new crossovers through ERSE Audio when I decide which way to go; be that two way plus sub or three way. The sub option takes up more floor space but is much easier to tune for room acoustics. Wish me luck. We sure have passion for this hobby don't we?
    Hey - keep us informed with how this progresses! Sounds very interesting!

And, of course, pictures are ALWAYS welcomed!

Or, if you really want to be fun - you have a listening party for the locals (grin) ...
    Interesting sounds are also appreciated!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sorry folks!

Quote Originally Posted by cerondipity View Post
    Get yourself a pair of AMT1's. Drop an Altec 414c where the woofer is. Keep the passive. You are on your way. When you have the time/motivation/inspiration go ahead and start experimenting with a woofer as a sub or part of a three way. Or as an intermediate step re-design your two way and crossover using the same drivers. Maybe try a petite onken. Or go with a big t-line.
    I personally started from scratch with an Altec/Heil combo using a modified QWTL. It weighed in at about 4.5 cu. ft. total. Bass roll off began at 55 hz and I was never quite satisfied with its reach to the bottom. That said the quality of the bass was quite good, and overall a more remarkable speaker than the KEF 104/2's they replaced, particularly in the transparency department where they are no slouches. Slightly more dynamic as well with crossover upgrades. You will need to keep that crossover to begin with, unless you are going to an active one, as things get complicated using such a high efficiency 4 ohm tweeter matched to an 8 ohm midbass. I almost maxed out the built in attenuation on the heil crossover and found the frequency adjustment helpful as well.
    This was supposed to have been a response to the last post the chain: 2 Way using AMT Heil-
    I was not trying to reply to my own post! Now the board will not allow me to delete it as it has already been replied to. The point is I think everyone should listen to a Heil/Altec 414 combo or maybe a pair of 123a's as suggested, or whatever, before deciding to jump in with grand plans. Its so simple just to get the complete cabinets and replace the midbass, keep the crossovers and adjust them as required to get a feel for the sound. I started by disconnecting the tweeters on my KEF's and ran the Heils full range on top. Yeah, the cross was off but they sounded great. Perfect for those live performances. Staid up all night listening. Thanks hjames for watching my first speaker project evolve. And thanks to everyone who has been helping with suggestions. This is a great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by castlesteve 1 View Post
    Hi. I am new to this forum , so be kind. I am looking to build a 2way system using a JBL woofer and an AMT Heil air motion tweeter. Which woofer would you recommend considering i am looking to crossover no lower than 800 and want to keep the cabinet volume between 3-4 cu ft. I am not very knowledgeable about JBL drivers so i would appreciate advice. I will be driving these with a 15 watt el84 push pull tube amp.

steve.
    get a pair of AMT1's. Then go with the previous suggestions which include a 123a out of an L100 or an Altec 414 and replace the existing midbass of the AMT1. This simplifies things immensely. Keep the crossover and adjust as required. Keep the passive radiator. It's a lot easier to start with the existing cabinet and crossover than to start from scratch without benefit of hearing what it will sound like. If you like the sound then start planning...New cabinets, new crossovers, maybe go to a three way or just add a sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post

Seems inappropriate to run 2225H sealed.
    Bye buddy.....

But to the point, 2226h works fine sealed, it's just not maximally extended- subs no longer optional.

Name:  img0528ya.jpg
Views: 4121
Size:  90.1 KB

Thread Information