Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: JBL S1S-EX/2242HPL the "most frightening" subs out there???

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    OK....Do you mean it can go lower?
    Listening to my 2235's, it's hard to imagine many woofers that 'outbass' them. I know they are out there- but to actually outperform a 2235 or 2245 with regard to the musical aspects of this performance...few do the job.
    Link tells the tale.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ghlight=w15gti

norealtalent
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    ... with regard to the musical aspects of this performance...few do the job.

Tom Loizeaux

Giskard

This forum is valuable to most of us because we can ask questions and get answers. Not all answers are correct or totally based in fact, but others usually point out the flaws in those answers. That's the value of a discussion group.
    When you're "at the bottom" of the knowledge base you learn the most. When you're "at the top" you will learn the least, however your input will be recognized as "informed" and will be taken long before other ideas and responses from less informed members.
    Please don't let the common denominator discourage the enthuisasm and willingness of the more informed members to continue to contribute.
    I'm sure we all learn things here and value this site very much.

Tom

I think that a carefully done W15GTI DIY project would be terrific. But it would have to be a lot more than just putting it in a cabinet and seing if it works. We'd want to design a cabinet optimised for this driver. And it's clearly not appropriate for this thread, where the original poster has repeatedly stated that he is looking for an off the shelf solution.

Missing the point

Giskard pointed out several times that drivers were created for specific purposes and there is little chance there are people who have done more R & D on JBL drivers than JBL!

So at the rate we are going with questions that irk Giskard, we will lose him as a valuable source to real technical questions we might have.

I myself will be pissed if he decides not to answer any more technical questions anymore due to getting annoyed at the responses we are getting lately.

Ron

I love it whan people post that a speaker was intentionally designed to be used in a certain application and poo poo the idea of using it for anything else without ever listening to it in that application.

Do people really think that JBL tries every driver in every application? Are some inferring that their automotive line's $700 speaker is inferior to one designed and built in Northridge?

To some of us, this is a hobby and experimentation is some of the best times.

"I love it whan people post that a speaker was intentionally designed to be used in a certain application and poo poo the idea of using it for anything else without ever listening to it in that application."
    Hello Toddalin

I see this as a couple of issues. First and foremost this is the JBL Product Forum not DIY. The information here is supposed to be technically correct and not based on subjective opinions. You can post all the subjective opinions you want in DIY. This is supposed to be where specific drivers and there designed applications are discussed.

Your posts about DIY are completely out of context with the posters original intent. He didn't ask what would work for a DIY he asked for options on JBL Subs to use with 9800's. Clearly JBL is not going to use a car sub with there SOTA design.

If this was in DIY I would agree with you. Not here. JBL drivers are application specific. If you want to use them in another application feel free just keep that in DIY where it belongs.

To some of us, this is a hobby and experimentation is some of the best times.
    Absolutely but everything in context.

Rob

Wow! Speaking of going OT...

Personally, as opposed to moderatorily (not a real word for the international set), I think that this subject has been beaten to death as have Todd's earnest suggestions. I agree with Rob that the intent of this thread wasn't a cool DIY project, but I think we can be a bit nicer to our fellow members who are eager to share.

I am really impressed with Giskard's post #48. I think it really explains why he gets so frustrated with so many of us... instead of just lashing out with the punch line he gave us the back story... and I can see his point(s), but really we are here to enjoy ourselves and we need to keep that in perspective. I think debate and disagreement are fine, but I don't think we should say, "geez your dumb go away..."

The fact is, I don't know a damn thing about the sound of the W15GTI and based on what I've read on the forum I doubt I'll try one, but with careful reading of technical information posted by Giskard and others and mixing in some subjective comments from forum members, we can use our own personal filters and make these decisions for ourselves. I think most people understand that if they hear a rave review or see an RTA plot of this or that, their own "mileage may very" as one poster has said... I tend to learn by trying things out for myself and by frequently screwing up, and I imagine most of you do to. For some of us getting any sound at all out of our systems is pleasure enough and for freaks like myself, anything short of the very best I've ever heard is a disappointment. We all know where we stand along this continuum and we can make these decisions for ourselves.

My hope is that through discourse we can possibly better understand where we are all coming from and reduce some of the tension that has been lurking here... we all come here with differing levels of knowledge, ability, and interest... we also have different goals. For this thread we had a new individual that was specifically asking about the JBL S1S-EX and also what off the shelf sub would best work with his system... a seemingly simple enough question. We got off on the wrong foot when Giskard took offense to Steve G's posting about a non-JBL sub... in light of Giskard's last post I can see his point, however his hostile posts were really out of line... we need to give each other more of a benefit of the doubt, we can violently disagree, but when it gets personal the strength of the argument goes to hell and we get all mixed up in drama and countless pointless posts.

With this much confusion about a simple question like this, it's no wonder we try not to talk about politics here.

Widget

Thank you Mr. Widget for your view. Also thanks to Giskard for a bit of insite to the problem!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Steve Gonzales

Let's be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by thelion
    Thanks for the reply.

So I take it that going with 2-4 S1S-EX/S800 combos in my 7500 cubic feet room will not result in a really earth shattering experience...

Please allow me to repeat what I'm looking for - pretty much a turnkey solution.

Does any consumer subwoofer come to your mind (whatever brand) that would be a good match for my system needs?

Thank you for your time.
    I agree with you Widget. I just don't want people left with the impression that I posted a suggestion that was not directly aimed at a question posed, on topic. Let's be clear here. My suggestion was quite clear and on point and prefaced in agreement with Giskard's recommendation of ultimately purchasing JBL product. If the posts were not deleted, they would show speculation as to the prospect of an Array 1800 sub being developed. That is why I suggested the Servo Drive until that model is available. I don't want another pissing match, but let there be no doubt what was said and why. It has been resolved between Giskard and I and his response had more to do with past conflict/friction personally than my on topic suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    First and foremost this is the JBL Product Forum not DIY. The information here is supposed to be technically correct and not based on subjective opinions. You can post all the subjective opinions you want in DIY. This is supposed to be where specific drivers and there designed applications are discussed.
    Great post, Rob.

Move the thread...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    And yes, I do believe we are resolved.
    Yes, and possibly each independently, or so the syntax could suggest (and I know Giskard is always very careful with his)...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What might be valuable would be if those knowledgeable regarding the salient features distinguishing application-specific car audio woofers from home audio woofers were to initiate an informative expostion of that over in "Technical." I know zilch about it, and would be interested in learning....

Regarding this thread, I frankly have difficulty taking the increasingly common "Pimp My Ride" inquiries here seriously:

"What do I want: The meanest, most powerful, spectacular, deepest and all around frightening bass money can buy."

"I'm not on a strict budget BUT I want the most bang for the buck - and I mean BANG!"

"I want something "violent, brute". Super high potential SPL, low distortions."

"I want bass to sound - 'fierceful.'"

"It just has to be earthshattering."

"I want something with bragging rights included, something big, something fierce."

"May sound very childish to you but I need to be blown away just by the idea of owning something."

En puer eternus, apparently.

I certainly don't think it warrants a confrontation among the membership; inciting one's a prime objective of trolling, tho.

[Of course, I DO believe, in light of my own experience with such urges juvenile as blowing away the neighbors, I posted an informed response.... ]

Steve Gonzales

I agree

I don't believe that thelion can be satisfied with the correct answer from Giskard. I agree with Zilch, this guy wants to "pimp his ride" in the end. He's been given an excellent informed opinion, but with all the different variables, I don't think one exists to satisfy his particular idea. It sounds like he might want this sub, housed in a rosewood veneered, 5" thick carbon fiber room.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

robpatton

Servo Drive ContraBass vs S1S-EX

I have used both of the subs previously mentioned. The Servo Drive ContraBass subs were installed into a Keith Yates Designed room in Reno, NV that I provided equipment for including a Runco 5000D, Genelec 1034B across the front, Triad in the sides and rear, etc. This room is PM3 certified and the Contras are powered by Crown K2 amps on each sub. They are a very powerful sub and cost 10000.00 per pair.

The S1S-EX subs were part of a Synthesis One system that was designed and installed in Nashville for a customer. Those are powered by S800 in bridged mode providing 800W to each sub at a cost of 5800.00 per pair.

The S1S-EX provides a very powerful low extension for the money, with the proper power it should do the trick for the K2SE pair that needs the additional low extension. The SEs were designed/tuned for Asia so I understand the need for more bass in certain situations/rooms. I get a kick out of switching them to BI-Amp mode and using external Xovers. I get MUCH more reponse from them and they go like a madman. The S1S should do the trick for you.

On the Contra and EX subs, Let me know if you need a place to get either one or if you have trouble finding a dealer in your area that can help out.

Attached is a picture of the room in Reno. Its a "drooler" and the finished room sounded simply spectacular. It should though...the room design alone cost upwards of 60K-80K.

Check out the K2s on Audiogon. I was the providing dealer for those speakers so if anyone picks them up from Dan, I can get them serviced if needed and provde the buyer the remainder of the Synthesis system if required.

Thanks! Feel free to email me anytime!

Rob Patton
    Sonic Advantage
    Orange Park Florida
    [email protected]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information