Thread: JBL S1S-EX/2242HPL the "most frightening" subs out there???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation JBL S1S-EX/2242HPL the "most frightening" subs out there???

Hi guys. I need your advice.

My situation: I currently have a pair of K2-9800SE (which I love) - for stereo purposes only. I use a Klipsch THX2 Ultra 7.1 System in my HT ATM. I would like to sell the Klipsch, buy a SK2-1000 Center and build up a full 7.1 Synthesis system.

My question is regarding the S1S-EX subwoofers. I would run them with matching JBL S800 monoblocks.

What do I want: The meanest, most powerful, spectacular, deepest and all around frightening bass money can buy - I think you get the point. Restrictions: I don't want to build it myself (if thats what some of you DIY guys where going to suggest), Initially I'm going to use at least 2, further down the road 4 subs, I'm not on a strict budget BUT I want the most bang for the buck - and I mean BANG!

So on to my question: How does a S1S-EX/S800 combo compare to "alternatives" like SVS Ultra/2, Velodyne DD18/DD1812, Klipsch THX Ultra2 KW120, ... ??? I like my Klipsch but want MORE. I have heard DD18 but they are too "gentle" for my liking. I want something "violent, brute". Super high potential SPL, low distortions. But it should be able to dig really deep (usable 16Hz-18Hz output) at the same time.

Where to look for something like that? Are there any subs out there that are comparable/competitive considering what I want bass to sound - "fierceful" ? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply.

So I take it that going with 2-4 S1S-EX/S800 combos in my 7500 cubic feet room will not result in a really earth shattering experience...

Please allow me to repeat what I'm looking for - pretty much a turnkey solution. No DIY or dealing with non-consumer professional stuff. I know it will cost me. But thats the whole point of what I'm planning on for my HT right now. I'm willing to buy those SK2-1000 speakers (three of them, 1 as center, 2 as surrounds) BECAUSE I love the sound of my K2-S9800 so much. I want to build my new HT around them. All I need now is a subwoofer that has 1) enough power to match the other speakers in my system and 2) even more than that. The subwoofer is probably the most important ingredient when it comes to what I like. It just has to be earthshattering. That kind of performance brought down to domestic use in households is the whole point of Synthesis IMHO. I'm convinced that the K2/SK2 stuff is as good as it gets for that matter. Looking at the features (?) and specs of S1S-EX/S800 just made me wonder if that combo is really the best CONSUMER Subwoofer out there (in a <$5000 price range, I intend to use up to 4 subwoofers in my system and therefor about $5000 is really the limit for one of them). I wonder why JBL has not developed a subwoofer targeted at the very high end Synthesis systems (Atlas, Hercules, the stuff using K2 speakers). Instead the "re-used" the S1S-EX (Synthesis One) for there larger systems as well.
    An JBL exec "announced"/hinted in an interview I read quite some time ago that JBL is working on an active subwoofer targeted at the K2 family of speakers. Is that what you where suggesting too?

Does any consumer subwoofer come to your mind (whatever brand) that would be a good match for my system needs?

Thank you for your time.

Steve Gonzales

Big Bass while you wait for Array

Welcome to the LHS. I will suggest a sub for you until those JBL's are available for you to purchase. This sub will definately fill the tall order you specified: http://www.servodrive.com/contrabass.html . Some time back, I watched a video clip of an experiment being performed by a university on the effects of different types of noises on the average city dwelling. They used a row of these subs (modified I believe for this test) lined up outside a house and then played various recorded sounds at various db levels. They used a DAT recorder for their source and stated that some of the sounds contained content as low as five hertz (5hz). They simulated the effect of a jet airplane flying directly overhead. My jaw dropped as these mighty subs were able to violently shake the outer walls of the house, I mean violently, like an earthquake!. I want to add that I would stay with JBL's new stuff when it becomes available, after all, this is the Lansing Heritage Site and I love JBL, sounds like you do too, so you know what I mean. We'd love to see some pictures of your current set up if possible. Good luck with your sub search, Steve G.

Steve Gonzales

Let's be clear.

Quote Originally Posted by thelion
    Thanks for the reply.

So I take it that going with 2-4 S1S-EX/S800 combos in my 7500 cubic feet room will not result in a really earth shattering experience...

Please allow me to repeat what I'm looking for - pretty much a turnkey solution.

Does any consumer subwoofer come to your mind (whatever brand) that would be a good match for my system needs?

Thank you for your time.
    I agree with you Widget. I just don't want people left with the impression that I posted a suggestion that was not directly aimed at a question posed, on topic. Let's be clear here. My suggestion was quite clear and on point and prefaced in agreement with Giskard's recommendation of ultimately purchasing JBL product. If the posts were not deleted, they would show speculation as to the prospect of an Array 1800 sub being developed. That is why I suggested the Servo Drive until that model is available. I don't want another pissing match, but let there be no doubt what was said and why. It has been resolved between Giskard and I and his response had more to do with past conflict/friction personally than my on topic suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    And yes, I do believe we are resolved.
    Yes, and possibly each independently, or so the syntax could suggest (and I know Giskard is always very careful with his)...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

What might be valuable would be if those knowledgeable regarding the salient features distinguishing application-specific car audio woofers from home audio woofers were to initiate an informative expostion of that over in "Technical." I know zilch about it, and would be interested in learning....

Regarding this thread, I frankly have difficulty taking the increasingly common "Pimp My Ride" inquiries here seriously:

"What do I want: The meanest, most powerful, spectacular, deepest and all around frightening bass money can buy."

"I'm not on a strict budget BUT I want the most bang for the buck - and I mean BANG!"

"I want something "violent, brute". Super high potential SPL, low distortions."

"I want bass to sound - 'fierceful.'"

"It just has to be earthshattering."

"I want something with bragging rights included, something big, something fierce."

"May sound very childish to you but I need to be blown away just by the idea of owning something."

En puer eternus, apparently.

I certainly don't think it warrants a confrontation among the membership; inciting one's a prime objective of trolling, tho.

[Of course, I DO believe, in light of my own experience with such urges juvenile as blowing away the neighbors, I posted an informed response.... ]

Steve Gonzales

I agree

I don't believe that thelion can be satisfied with the correct answer from Giskard. I agree with Zilch, this guy wants to "pimp his ride" in the end. He's been given an excellent informed opinion, but with all the different variables, I don't think one exists to satisfy his particular idea. It sounds like he might want this sub, housed in a rosewood veneered, 5" thick carbon fiber room.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi guys. I need your advice.
    What do I want: The meanest, most powerful, spectacular, deepest and all around frightening bass money can buy - I think you get the point. Restrictions: I don't want to build it myself (if thats what some of you DIY guys where going to suggest), Initially I'm going to use at least 2, further down the road 4 subs, I'm not on a strict budget BUT I want the most bang for the buck - and I mean BANG!

Where to look for something like that? Are there any subs out there that are comparable/competitive considering what I want bass to sound - "fierceful" ? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    I can't decide if you're every HT dealers' dream customer or worst nightmare. I have a feeling you won't be satisfied until your subwoofer system knocks your house down and then you'll sue him for destroying your house.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Steve Gonzales

In his honor

This is James B. Lansing
    Attached Images Attached Images  

...and now back to subwoofers...

I use JBL Sub1500s which are no longer available but have been replaced with the very similar Array 1500s. I find their ability to produce extremely deep and still musical bass outstanding. I own an older HGS Velodyne and find it too artificial sounding... it does pound the house, but I am not crazy about it's sound character.

As far as the S1S subs, I recently built 4 dual versions of them and found them to be much more powerful than the Sub1500 but not quite as deep sounding... they are also huge! They will certainly pressurize the room and damage the foundation given enough power... they are actually quite efficient, but they handle gobs of power and if they are given it, they will scare you... that said I would prefer to use more Sub1500s or Array 1500s in a domestic space... I personally prefer their sound. It is very deep, clean, and surprisingly articulate. They will do sub 20Hz quite well, but you will need a few of them if you are after crazy SPLs.

I am not sure if you were seriously considering the Velodyne 1812... if so than the cost of 4 or 8 Array 1500s shouldn't be a problem... another nice thing about the Array 1500s is that they are self powered so you won't need to get extra amplification.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I think you mean 4645C but we can discuss offline.
    I thought the current S1S was a 2242 in an 8 cu ft box tuned to 25Hz? If not, that is what I tried.... and it was awesome, but as mentioned I'd prefer a few Array 1500s, or Sub1500s over it's sound.

Widget

Thank you for your thoughts, Widget.

I looked into 1500's but they are not quite appealing to me. Imagening those subs standing beside my K2's I would feel sorry for them. I want something with bragging rights included, something big, something fierce. May sound very childish to you but I need to be blown away just by the idea of owning something. Pure fascination. I have had this exact feeling with my K2's ever since I saw/witnessed them the first time. I'm just looking for subwoofers that are a real MATCH for the K2's. The 1500 is a good match for the rest of the new Array lineup, but the K2 is a different league altogether IMHO.

So my question remains: Why does quite about any JBL line out there offer a subwoofer specifically designed for it - any but the JBLs crown jewel K2 line???

Steve Gonzales

Maybe

Thank you for your thoughts, Widget.

I looked into 1500's but they are not quite appealing to me. Imagening those subs standing beside my K2's I would feel sorry for them. I want something with bragging rights included, something big, something fierce. May sound very childish to you but I need to be blown away just by the idea of owning something. Pure fascination. I have had this exact feeling with my K2's ever since I saw/witnessed them the first time. I'm just looking for subwoofers that are a real MATCH for the K2's. The 1500 is a good match for the rest of the new Array lineup, but the K2 is a different league altogether IMHO.

So my question remains: Why does quite about any JBL line out there offer a subwoofer specifically designed for it - any but the JBLs crown jewel K2 line???
    Revel makes a powerful and beautiful sub that might fill the bill. I would dare say that it would integrate with your K2's and look like it belonged too. It has a very sophisticated room equalization/optimization set up that would be of great benefit too. Revel is a relative of JBL. BTW, the speculation that JBL would release an Array 1800, was the sub I was referring to earlier on in the thread, when I said "Buy that when it becomes available". Here is a link to the Revel Sub30 http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...view.asp?ID=13

Well maybe JBL thought the "K2" Stands Alone!!!

This may sound childish but

Of your K2,s

Hey Giskard,

What did you say in your 1st reply to the post that made "thelion" think the SIS EX's wouldn't rock his world?? (It was deleted before I got to read it.)

I am using 4 4645B's (which i think are very similar to the SIS's but I have no experience them, i just know you mentioned them in a post of mine when we were discussing the 4654 line of subs.) powered by 4 Crown's (bridged) in a 20' x 40 x 10 room (8000 cu. ft.) and believe me they are "earthshattering" ...

By the way I paid 500$ each for my 4645B's used in good shape, and for the money he is willing to spend he could line the walls with them... because in a room that large for the sound he is claiming he wants he will for sure need 4 or more of anything no matter what the brand IMO.

I will just give him one word of advise before he ends up in my shoes. I spent a ton of time and money on my system and at this point I have several pissed off Neighbors and 3 warnings from the police

Be cool
    David

Thread Information