Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL S1S-EX/2242HPL the "most frightening" subs out there???

thelion: Where are you from? You almost sound like my Norwegian friend with the HGS18

" They are either trolls or incredibly stupid." Even worse, I'm from europe. Austria to be precise. English is not my native tongue. Therefor not everthing I'm trying to express turns out right (But I presume you wouldn't appear all too bright yourself in a german forum for that matter ...)

I just got back from lunch and am quite confused... can we just talk about subs here... Norse legends, trolls and the like are not something I am very conversant in...

Mr. Lion, I was suggesting subs based on performance not visual visceral appeal... maybe you could get some Array 1500s stack them four high in custom made cabinets and that would strike the appropriate level of visual fear? It certainly would blow you away!

Widget

The thing is... some trolls do in fact exists I've posted this link before: http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/Ulven

This is the guy with among other things have the pair of HGS18 I've mentioned. He has a $80-100.000 setup and consider buying a new $20.000 poweramp (PassLab or McIntosh) mainly based on the look!!! My point is... I agree that some things thelion says is kinda strange and the lack of picture makes us wonder if it's all true. But even so it still can be true, just take a look on the link above, what thelion says/asks about, could also the owner of that systems say/ask!

Hope you are telling the truth, and if you are, please post pictures so we can trust you! I guess that will give you will more helpful answer than you have gotten yet

Looks like digital camera are not available in Austria yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    maybe you could get some Array 1500s stack them four high in custom made cabinets and that would strike the appropriate level of visual fear? It certainly would blow you away!

Widget
    I agree on both counts

Digital cameras in CA....

Here's yer JBL max intimidation sub, and we (the forum) know(s) where there's a pair of 'em available, upon receipt of a substantial donation hereto:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4688.pdf

[Ain't gonna be cheap to ship to Austria, tho.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Holy S&^t I can hear that thing from Denver!!!!!!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Obsolete

JBL S1S-EX/2242HPL the "most frightening" subs out there???

Ok, back to the original post and this time I will elaborate because people simply don't get my subtle cues.

What do I want: The meanest, most powerful, spectacular, deepest and all around frightening bass money can buy - I think you get the point. Restrictions: I don't want to build it myself (if thats what some of you DIY guys where going to suggest), Initially I'm going to use at least 2, further down the road 4 subs, I'm not on a strict budget BUT I want the most bang for the buck - and I mean BANG!

I want something "violent, brute". Super high potential SPL, low distortions. But it should be able to dig really deep (usable 16Hz-18Hz output) at the same time.

Ok, like I posted originally - the 4645C with 6 dB bump at 25 Hz. That will get you maximum SPL with extension to 20 Hz. Extremely loud. Now I actually read every word of your post and answered to the point. I also posted that for true violence I would double the amplifier power.

Your reply:

Please allow me to repeat what I'm looking for - pretty much a turnkey solution. No DIY or dealing with non-consumer professional stuff.

Ok, so 4645C is out. My second post was with respect to the S1S. Once again, It would not be prudent for me to elaborate on why the 4645C is THE correct stock 2242H platform. Mr. Widget now knows and I'm sure he will suggest the 4645C over the S1S in all future subwoofer discussions, especially after having touted his builds for Scott.

Does any consumer subwoofer come to your mind (whatever brand) that would be a good match for my system needs?

To which I replied the 1500 Array. Again, a very specific reason why I didn't suggest the S1S.

Thank you for your thoughts, Widget.

I looked into 1500's but they are not quite appealing to me. Imagening those subs standing beside my K2's I would feel sorry for them. I want something with bragging rights included, something big, something fierce.

The 1500 Array is quite capable of standing along side a K2 and filling in the VLF.

The 1500 is a good match for the rest of the new Array lineup, but the K2 is a different league altogether IMHO.

I disagree, and not lightly.

You are aware that the K2's go down to 45Hz (linear)... So even for a pure stereo application I would recommend a subwoofer...

I think usable response of the K2 is lower but I'll have to drag out the engineering specs tonight. The target market seems to feel the K2 is fine for pure stereo without a sub.

Frequency Response (-6 dB): 50 Hz to 50 kHz (Anechoic)

f3 (-3 dB): 60 Hz

Usable response to 35 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I looked into 1500's but they are not quite appealing to me. Imagening those subs standing beside my K2's I would feel sorry for them. I want something with bragging rights included, something big, something fierce.

The 1500 Array is quite capable of standing along side a K2 and filling in the VLF.

The 1500 is a good match for the rest of the new Array lineup, but the K2 is a different league altogether IMHO.

I disagree, and not lightly.
    Personally I prefer the aesthetics of the Project Array Series over the K2s but that is subjective... as for matching up to the performance of the K2, the new Array sub is easily the best suited JBL and possibly one of the best possible choices period. In Japan they offered the earlier version of it to go with the K2-S9800.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    You're quote of mine is misrepresentative. Perhaps if you put his words in a different color...

And I believe you mean the HB5000 and not the HB1500.

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/produc...ons/hb5000.htm

You're quote of mine is misrepresentative. Perhaps if you put his words in a different color...

And I believe you mean the HB5000 and not the HB1500.

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/produc...ons/hb5000.htm
    I did that once I saw the quote. I guess they changed the model once it went into production... I took it from the photo.

Widget

Dammit, Bo

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Did somebody say something about a sub?

thelion is a member with a question. Regardless of what others may think- I'd like to continue hearing answers to his questions....without the drama..
    So would I. Though realistically... drama aside, I think we did pretty much cover it from the current Lansing perspective. If someone wants to discuss subs in general in the Off Topic are that might be appropriate.

Widget

The HB1500 used our SUB1500 driver aka REVEL 15. The HB5000 uses the torrid W1500H which is also used in the 1500 Array.

Starting with post #8

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?p=68909
    Always a font of JBL knowledge...

Widget

If JBL doesn't float ones boat, this would have appeal in all the missing but pointless areas. Visually over the top, loud beyond reason and exclusive. Always wanted a subwoofer with a built in light show. Notice the horn can be extended; choose from four eighteens or six fifteens. How could you go wrong?
    http://www.core-systems.com/avhosp/speakers/walkin.html
    Doesn't go that low, but no one would live to notice.

JBL's are available for an upcharge. This is as off topic as I am going to get.

Clark in Peoria

PS Did you see the spl's?!!
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information