Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL S1S-EX/2242HPL the "most frightening" subs out there???

You can not hear 16 hz anyways!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Question

"Mr. Widget now knows and I'm sure he will suggest the 4645C over the S1S in all future subwoofer discussions, especially after having touted his builds for Scott."

" To which I replied the 1500 Array. Again, a very specific reason why I didn't suggest the S1S."

1) PLEASE, can anyone tell me about the "very specific" reason...

2) And what about using a S1S-EX together with a Crown K-2 in bridged mode?

3) Whats the exact difference between the 4645C and the S1S-EX?

4) Do I take it right that the best way to go would be coupling the 4645C with something as potent as the Crown K-2.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL
    You can not hear 16 hz anyways!!
    No....but you can certainly feel it! Nothing takes the place of bran like a 16Hz Freq pounding at your GI tract.

I hope I'm not pushing it but: "Again, a very specific reason why I didn't suggest the S1S."

PLEASE, can anyone tell me about the "very specific" reason...

When my S--F-- produces subsonic tones, sometimes my stomach feels like the beginning of an elevator decent!

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    No....but you can certainly feel it! Nothing takes the place of bran like a 16Hz Freq pounding at your GI tract.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    You are kind of pushing it. - No they can't and if you read what I posted the reason is revealed. I believe I posted some time back in another thread about this same topic - that one should build their own 4645C-type system and style it like the S1S if they so chose. As for the S1S-EX:

The S1S-EX is the improved version of the S1S with increased structural reinforcement and large flared ports to reduce turbulence.
    The S800 and S1S-EX compliment each other very well by design.
    I think you might be right after all - I'm really too stupid. I still don't get it. Just being European is no sufficient excuse for my stupidity ...

I'm pretty aware of the "differences" between the S1S and the S1S-EX version. What I was asking were the differences between S1S(-EX) and its pro version 4645C? They both share the same driver (2242H).

!!!!! Are there ANY differences beyond the cosmetics/housing/ports? Are there any differences from a performance point of view? Which are they? !!!!!

If there are non - I think the reason why you DON'T recommend buying an S1S(-EX) is that it is much more expensive (~ $3000.- list) than its Pro version without being different. Therefor buying an 4645C would be a wise thing to do... The same goes for the S800 - lists for ~$2500. A Pro amp like the Crown K2 (name would be a great match for my system...) gives me much more output (1500 W bridged @8Ohm) for a little over halve the price.

Is that the reason for your reservations about S1S/S800 or am I loosing it again?

Thank you

leif
    Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    How come I dont feel nothing at all with my 4430 and B460?
    That time I bought that sub, I got a demo of it playing with a pair of Infinity RS2b (2 8inch woofers). It was spectacular! It felt like someone were beating me with a pillow every time the bass kicked.
    But home in my house... I can play loud like crazy, but it give no punch I can feel physically. How come?

Leif

For some reason I thought you had a SUB1500 or two.
    No, I manage to do with the S--F--- and the W15GTI mounted in my center channel cabinet. For truly low end response, the S--F--- "out basses" the W15GTI hands down..., but we don't need to get into that here.

Quote Originally Posted by leif
    How come I dont feel nothing at all with my 4430 and B460?
    That time I bought that sub, I got a demo of it playing with a pair of Infinity RS2b (2 8inch woofers). It was spectacular! It felt like someone were beating me with a pillow every time the bass kicked.
    But home in my house... I can play loud like crazy, but it give no punch I can feel physically. How come?

Leif
    Try adding one of these to your system for bass in your face. I run one on my W15GTI, more because of poor amp sensitivity, but the subharmonic synthesizer is pretty cool.

These were originally intended to restore the lost octave cut off in the transfer to vinyl where bass tones (which take up lots of groove area) were cut in the recording process. With the advent of digital and true 20 Hz reproduction, the synthesis of a new bottom octave can truly shake the room.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=9708328453

http://cgi.ebay.com/DBX-110-subharmo...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, now we are getting somewhere.

Please allow for some remaining questions:

1) What is your personal opinion about a 4645C/Crown K2 combo? Would you suggest another amp instead?

2) My THX Receiver will handle the low pass filter are persume. What about high passing? What do I need to "high-pass" the 4645C at your suggested 25Hz? And when I choose to high pass it at only 20Hz the in room response will get me where? - eg. 18Hz +/- 3db. What do I need in edition to my THX receiver, the amp and the sub itself -> what to use for high passing and EQ (if necessary)?

3)I always here people telling me Pro Subs (read JBL) are optimized to go "just" loud but not deep. Whereas high end home cinema subs (like the best from Velodyne, SVS) are targeted at 16Hz-18Hz lowest frequency response. Is that true? Will my neighbors SVS Ultra/2 (2*12" driver, 1000W) or my friends Velodyne DD18 play louder than "my" upcoming 4645C/Crown combo in the Sub 25Hz range??? I know that for max SPL there is nothing like these JBLs. But what about the subsonic performance? Is this all a myth?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks for your time

Only to clarify that the W15GTI is a car sub.
    Sure, it's only a car sub, but can play down to about 16 Hz and all the way out to 1,000 Hz and with 1.6" of cone travel, can out bass a 2235 (and maybe a 2245?).

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...=US&region=USA

Oops! My fault!
    Yeah, I only talk to it's designer regularly so please leave me out of any conversations about it.

You guys are funny. I think I'm done with you.
    Actually, at the Heritage dinner, Don said that this design (e.g., differential symetrical drive) was the wave of JBL's future and he had nothing but good things to say about this speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Actually, at the Heritage dinner, Don said that this design (e.g., differential symetrical drive) was the wave of JBL's future and he had nothing but good things to say about this speaker.
    I assume he was talking about the Pro Audio PA stuff...

Todd, I don't want to sound rude but, I thought we were talking about state of the art home audio subs that would be a good match for the K2-S9800 in a two channel music system. In addition to the JBLs we have mentioned there are a handful of subs made by other manufacturers that would be in that league. Other than the Velodyne 1812, I don't think any have been discussed here. State of the art doesn't simply mean low and loud... there are plenty of booming cars and home theater subs that fill that bill.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I assume he was talking about the Pro Audio PA stuff...

Widget
    No, we were discussing the W15GTI. Were you there? I don't think I got that drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by todd
    ...can out bass a 2235 (and maybe a 2245?).
    OK....Do you mean it can go lower?
    Listening to my 2235's, it's hard to imagine many woofers that 'outbass' them. I know they are out there- but to actually outperform a 2235 or 2245 with regard to the musical aspects of this performance...few do the job.

Thread Information