Thread: Kinda Cool

Kinda Cool

My brother Gerald and his wife were over to listen to the Westlakes. He was so impressed I worked out a deal with norealtalent to purchase his BBSM15's and now there will be 2 pairs of Westies in the area.

If I would have thought my brother would be interested I would have kept that pair of BBSM 15's I bought in LA a couple months back.

Norealtalent has reconed all 4 2235's and the 2122H's so they will be in excellent condition. Gerald is pretty excited about getting them.

Ken

Congrats!

I listened to them, and they are SWEEEET! Your brother is one lucky dog.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I listened to them, and they are SWEEEET! Your brother is one lucky dog.

Its funny you should mention that. I am excited for him and Fran. Turns out my sister in law is quite the blues/jazz fan and I never new it! Kinda nice that we can share the bug. Back on subject, I heard the pair I sold in LA for about 15 minutes and was shocked how good they sounded compared to my HR1's. He is a lucky guy. The funny thing is they have never shown an interest in quality audio. This is their first REAL Hi-Fi. Before this all they had was a few hundred dollar system. I will enjoy seeing the pleasure they realize from this.

Ken

norealtalent
    I feel naked already but there's one thing I've come to know, there will always be more, until there's not... and then there'll still be more. This is my excuse to fire up the SOTA's with the 435BE's on some Smith's. First will be the 4355 x's then 4 way active for comparison. Can't wait!!! This will be my last experiment before I build my own cabs. It's been a long and joyous road. I've been thrilled with everything I've played with and truly grateful for the opportunities but the Westies were the last straw for me. They are beyond words and I hate to see them go but I HAVE to have a 4 way to be satisfied I could not have got the crossovers right had it not been for Ken connecting me with Sherwood, thank you both. I'm really glad to see them get a GREAT home.

Ken-

I changed my mind- I now feel sorry for your brother. After reading Dave's post- and making logical sense of it, I understand how addictive this hobby can be. Poor Gerald won't know what hit him!

For Fran (the blues and jazz fan) it will sound like heaven has visited the living room.

They sure are making a leap of faith- going from the 'modest' system to Westies! It's like trading in the Pacer for a Ferrari. I hope you are helping them put together the rest of the system. I don't want to imagine what a 'modest' source component and amplifier sound like through a pair of analytical BBSM's. Yuck!

Just make sure he hangs on to these beautiful refrigerators long enough to fully appreciate what they are. I look forward to their impressions of ownership. Perhaps you could talk him and/or Fran into joining the forum. (?)

It took Dave a minor audio miracle find to even consider parting with them. Those s.o.t.a. cabinets are the most impressive ones I have ever seen. They will turn out very very nice. They are even rarer than a pair of BBSM's, and built like tanks. Everything about them says- "dream speakers". Amazing! I'm sure he told you all about them...

Take care up there.
    Travis

Steve Gonzales

Very Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Its funny you should mention that. I am excited for him and Fran. Turns out my sister in law is quite the blues/jazz fan and I never new it! Kinda nice that we can share the bug. Back on subject, I heard the pair I sold in LA for about 15 minutes and was shocked how good they sounded compared to my HR1's. He is a lucky guy. The funny thing is they have never shown an interest in quality audio. This is their first REAL Hi-Fi. Before this all they had was a few hundred dollar system. I will enjoy seeing the pleasure they realize from this.

Ken
    Talk about going from 0 to 60mph in under 4 seconds!. Very nice. It is nice that you have the experience to guide them Ken, particularly with Westlakes. In this age of ipods and bose diluting the world with so-called HiFi sound, it is nice to know that some people prefer an uncompromised approach and actually let their ears be the judge. I want to give an extra measure of praise to Fran. So many people experience the negative side of the 'WAF', that it is a breath of fresh air to see that the old axiom "Size doesn't matter" is also true when you are passionate about music and you want the best for you and your spouse. Well done!. Thank you NRT for 'letting go' of those beauties, at least you know that they'll be in a very good home.

Electronics

They will use my modified 980A's and run them bi-amped. He bought a Musical Concepts, Hafler modified 110. It has the MA-3 mods with dual power supplies. It should make a decent preamp.

We will add a Klark Teknik DN360 or BSS 960 EQ.

Ken

Thread Information