Thread: Mounting a DIY grill to a LSR monitor

qxlxp

Mounting a DIY grill to a LSR monitor

has anyone tried mounting a diy grill to a 6328p or 6332 lsr monitor with good results?

i am rolling around the feasibility of "domesticating" these speakers. i have had the lsr32's in my house before and my wife declared them as the ugliest speakers i have ever had (she loves the look of my 6' tall martin-logans, so go figure). i would be using them in my library which is also my hometheater (retractable screen), so they have to look less utilitarian because i can't hide them.

i had rolled around the idea of veneering the sides and back of a 6332 as well, but i think the rounded rear edges would represent a significant technical challenge to me.

i could potentially do a sock over the entire 6328 and build a bass module/stand housing a 252g or two which might also work well. but as i think about it, the 6328 encased in a sock might look kind of stupid. hard to say as it seems to work stylisticly for definitive technologies speakers. a 6325p might work size-wize in a "head on base" configuration, but i am not so sure it can produce the volume i need at my 14' away listening position even if i crossed them over around 300hz or so.

i am just fishing for ideas at this time. feedback about what worked or didn't work would be helpful.

I have a friend who made some floating grilles for his LSR28Ps. I helped him attach the grille cloth after he made the grille frames. I think he used self-adhesive velcro hook & loop pads at about four points to mount the grilles to the cabinets. Doesn't require any permanent modification to the cabinets (in case you want to sell later.) They look very nice, though still "techy" looking. May or may not have the WAF factor you need. I'll ask him to contact you and maybe send some pics.

Thumbs up LSR Grill Mounting

I have some LSR 28Ps and built and mounted grills on them. My friend emailed that you wanted some information.

My motivation was not aesthetics but they do look really nice with the black grills mounted. However, I have a two and three year old in the house and they seemed drawn to the circles of the woofer cones, but ignored my other speakers with grills. I barely stopped the youngest from putting an index finger into the center of a woofer one day and had to put the speakers away until I got the grills made.

Tools I used: I have access to a fairly complete wood working shop. I used a table saw, table scroll saw for the cutouts and corner radius', and electric drill, a router table for shaping the leading edges, a drum sander for shaping cutouts and curves, a finish palm sander for sanding flat surfaces, a Dremmel sander for custom fitting around woofer trim rings.

Materials included: a half sheet of 1/4" MDF, a 8ft long piece of brick mold (wood), some double sided mounting tape, wood glue, sand paper, flat black spray paint, a tiny bit of spar varnish, grill cloth, 3M automotive interior adhesive, mineral spirits for cleanup and eight self adhesive squares of velcro.

Fabrication. I used the table saw to rip the brick mold to 3/8"x1/2" strips to create a frame. The frame added ridgidity and raised the surface height of the MDF high enough to clear the tweeter and woofer. I also cut the MDF to size for each grill with the table saw. I stuck together the two MDF rectangles (one for each speaker) with the mounting tape to make further cutting and shaping two identical grill frames easier. I drew the areas to cut out on the top one surface, drilled one hole to start the scroll saw cut, then cut out the inside circles of the MDF for both surfaces at once. I was careful to not obstruct the tweeter or woofer with the grill frames by making sure openings were setback and cutouts were angled. Once cutout, I pulled the two MDF pieces apart and discarded the mounting tape. I then cut the 3/8" x 1/2" wood strips to length and used wood glue and clamps to glue them to the rear edge on the back side of each MDF rectangle. Once dry, I removed the clamps, and shaped as desired with the router table, and drum sander. I finish sanded all surfaces and dry fit to the front of my speakers. I remove material as needed to clear tweeter and woofer metal trim. I glued additional small wood triangles in each corner to provide a larger adhesive surface for the velcro and to provide a slightly counter-sunk mounting height, but that is optional. I sprayed each grill frame with flat black wood paint. Then, since wood is porous and velcro adhesive sticks best to a non-porous surface, I sealed the intended grill back mounting areas for the velcro squares with a dab of spar varnish. Finally, I cut out the grill cloth at least three to four inches wider and longer than each grill frame and applied automotive adhesive per directions to the back of each grill frame using a brush for better control, one small area at a time. Starting a corner, I glued the cloth to the back of the frame and stretched it to the opposite corner and pressed it down onto the glue. Then I stretched and glued down the other corners. Finally, I stretched and glued the cloth to the back on each side, stretching hard and working out any wrinkles. I cut off excess material with a sharp razer blade and metal straight edge. Next, I matched the velcro squares together, then peeled the back off one side and stuck it to the back of the grill in each corner. After testing the exact position for mounting each grill on the speaker baffle peeled off the adhesive back from the four corners of each grill I pressed each grill into their final position on each speaker baffle. I allowed the velcro adhesive to setup an hour or so before trying to pull the mounted grills back off. They look great and, because the cloth is stretched so tight as to be nearly transparent, I can tell very little audio difference with the grills mounted.

Design issues: Since LSR 28Ps have rounded corners, I made my grills with a matching radius on the corners as well as rounded front leading edges. The LSR 28Ps have a front baffle surface made of a glossy hard composite so the adhesive of each velcro square can be removed with no apparent damage to them. Baffles can be compounded to restore the shine if necessary. However, the LSR 6328Ps are made of black plastic. I do not know how the surface would look if you later removed the adhesive backed velcro, but mounting the grills should work the same. Since the LSR 6328s corners are squared off, making the grills match the shape should be easier than the rounded LSR28Ps.

The grills look and work great. I apologize for the length of this reply, but am very proud of the way they turned out. I am sure you will be pleased with yours.

PS. I am going to make some larger matching grills for my LSR 12P and LSR 32s soon. I do not have any digital pictures yet, but could send some if requested.

qxlxp
    thanks for the detailed construction info. if you could post some pictures to this thread, that would be great.

Thread Information