Thread: My NEW 4343's

My NEW 4343's

Just finished a few songs after finally installing my Ashly 1001 crossover, replacing the JBL 5234 [Crown K1, McIntosh 2125, Thorens TD 145, Sony XA 20]. Well, it's just a wonderful thing! So many adjustments, so little time. The mids and highs are more detailed, and the DB level, if you want, is dangerous. Thanks again for this site-never would have known!

*5234 Crossover w/4343 card for sale..$50

Sold. You can find my contact info in the pm I sent you.

Hi,

Your system sounds interesting!
    I just got a Mcintosh MA 6900(200W X2) integrated amp to push My 4344.......
    I would like to try external crossover but the investment is huge to me!(crossover+preamp+power amp......... )
    Are you using XR 1001?
    I found it in Ebay for US $300.
    Is it worth to try?

Cheers,

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Alan Fletcher
    I am using, and have friends who are using in various systems, Ashly XR-2001, XR-4001, and Ashly GQx-series EQ's. Clean, nice stuff for the money and built in the USA. I've been told that the Klark-Teknik stuff is better, but for the money the Ashly stuff is rock-solid, both in build quality and sound quality. You can't go wrong.

-A

Thanks Alan.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Fletcher
    I am using, and have friends who are using in various systems, Ashly XR-2001, XR-4001, and Ashly GQx-series EQ's. Clean, nice stuff for the money and built in the USA. I've been told that the Klark-Teknik stuff is better, but for the money the Ashly stuff is rock-solid, both in build quality and sound quality. You can't go wrong.

-A
    I'd agree with that... don't know if you saw Bo's post of his Bryston revelation... Bo was a hardcore Ashly user for some time.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=11572

Quote Originally Posted by loman69
    I would like to try external crossover but the investment is huge to me!(crossover+preamp+power amp......... )
    Are you using XR 1001?
    I found it in Ebay for US $300.
    Is it worth to try?
    I wouldn't suggest you have to use a Bryston, but you might keep an eye out for a used Marchand or other "Audiophile type" crossovers while you wait to amass the complete system. The Bryston did make the Ashly sound pretty veiled in comparison... not a "This is a better CD player... isn't it?" type of comparison, but a oh yeah baby... there is no going back kinda thing.

That said, compared to the Ranes, JBLs, and other "affordable" pro audio crossovers I have heard/owned... I would certainly go with the Ashly over them. If you haven't already, you may be better off upgrading your amp/preamp and passive crossovers instead... going down the multi-amp road can be quite a sonic upgrade, especially with low watt class A SS or tube amps up top and brute SS amps down below, but the bang for the buck equation starts to exponentially decrease.

Widget

I think I heard that somewhere before...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    If you haven't already, you may be better off upgrading your amp/preamp and passive crossovers instead... going down the multi-amp road can be quite a sonic upgrade, especially with low watt class A SS or tube amps up top and brute SS amps down below, but the bang for the buck equation starts to exponentially decrease.
    Widget
    Widget, do I detect a slight degree of agreement with my goofball philosophy? BTW, my amps didn't cost much for what I am getting out of them soundwise. Now if I can just get that new crossover. Things are going my way lately. I did get that great deal from a really cool guy in SF on my volume control/source selector...

Clark
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Don, how are those speakers doing. I remember you posted that you had bought them but what did you have or want to do to them to bring them where they are today? Got any pics?

Giskard did a fabulous job reconing the woofers. Found a bad cap in a crossover preventing a signal to the 2405, now repaired and sounding great! While apart, I moved the 2405 t0 the outside for a mirror image and really like the difference. Works great in my small listening area.

Thread Information