Thread: A serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    I've been a small part of this forum for a couple of years etc
    Great post Steve.

Ken

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Great post Steve.
    Then we completely disagree on what a great post is. I consider this just another shot from the 0.01% of the forum that simply doesn't get the age old adage - "When in Rome..."

Isn't there a website you guys can all go to and commiserate? An AOL chat room or something? We've got this list, and it's a really short list, especially considering the current membership count, and I'm wondering why you guys keep coming here to a place you are obviously conflicted with.

I'm just not getting it. We create off-topic and then catch hell for deleting a few inappropriate posts. Who decides what is inappropriate? Don does, and by his charge the moderators do! What the hell!? It's Don's site! If he had a problem with the moderation he would call the moderators and discuss it. Let's get back to the business at hand instead of constantly dragging this tired old topic out for endless discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Then we completely disagree on
    My friend, I suspect we disagree on many things outside of our passion for all that is JBL. But we can share that.

Ken

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    My friend, I suspect we disagree on many things outside of our passion for all that is JBL.
    I don't even bother to contemplate such things. It is out of the scope of this website.

norealtalent
    ..."When in Rome..."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_in...as_the_Vandals

Damn, the logo is everywhere- and yet we are so caught up in the trivial aspects of what this forum ultimately strives to achieve. We all love our JBL products and (as Ken said) 'we can share that'. Where the hell is this 'pub' we all talk about!?

Yesterday, I made a post that hinted at (what I perceive to be) favoritism with regard to moderating. It was more suggestive than accusitive, and yet perhaps I should delete it. I have the highest respect for those that give the "extra" to make this site/forum a special place to be and learn. I learned something yet again:

I should focus on what this place IS rather than what it
    a. could be
    b. should be (IMO)
    c. isn't

The fact is- if someone is posting something negative that involves me- I can hold my ground. I don't need a moderator to come rescue me. It's nice when they do because (to quote Bo) it keeps 'a sense of decorum'.

Giskard,

You inarguably contributed more than most anyone to get this site where it is. As such- you are targeted more than most anyone. Truth is- I don't care if you call some one a 'dumbass'. You can call me a dumbass, and it makes no difference to me. It's a double standard for sure- but so long as you keep posting the tech and advice...

(post deleted - never mind...)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Let's get back to the business at hand instead of constantly dragging this tired old topic out for endless discussion.
    Now that's a good post.

Please, allow me to beat the dead horse.

I received a couple of PM's regarding what my intentions were in my previous post. Let me spell it out:

I don't want to come off sounding cynical but I want my children to know (early on) that life is not always fair. Inherently, life cannot always be fair. The food chain, governments, weather, natural disasters, etc are not fair. (Why should this forum be any different?) The sooner people learn that- the more prepared they are (IMHO). It's nice to keep leaders in line, but I try not to belly ache over every little injustice. Life's too short for that.

When I am in a leadership role, and the position of power is on my chest- I strive for equality and fairness in every way I can. I believe in division of goods. It is one of my core values. "Respect for others" is another core value I hold near and dear. From what I have observed- there are a few great moderators that strive for the same things. That's great! However, anytime that position of power lies with other people- I cannot simply EXPECT them to operate as I would. I cannot expect that people have the same values I do.

If someone wants to call me names or attack me on the forum- so what (?). It's a reflection on them - not me. It's also a reflection on their lack of respect for James B. Lansing.

Does this mean I won't defend myself? Naaa! I'll go toe to toe with anyone. If a moderator is snoozing for whatever reason- I'll play vigilante until the post/thread gets deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I'll play vigilante until the post/thread gets deleted.
    Please don't.

That is exactly the type of thing that gets us into wasting time with threads like this... as I mentioned to Steve last night in a PM... if you see an offense send a PM to a Moderator or to several moderators... you can PM up to 10 people at once here... By acting on your own it clouds the issue... all of a sudden instead of one jerk we have two or more. One person yelling into the wind looks pretty dumb... if you respond we spiral into the sort of abyss that we have seen too many times.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Please don't.

That is exactly the type of thing that gets us into wasting time with threads like this... as I mentioned to Steve last night in a PM... if you see an offense send a PM to a Moderator or to several moderators... you can PM up to 10 people at once here... By acting on your own it clouds the issue... all of a sudden instead of one jerk we have two or more. One person yelling into the wind looks pretty dumb... if you respond we spiral into the sort of abyss that we have seen too many times.

Widget

Ok.

Angry was it a member

Somebody posted a picture killing a kitten,tell me it wasn't a member.That's weak.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool
    Somebody posted a picture killing a kitten
    as i recall the post did not have a picture of a kitten being killed, if you followed the link there were a series of pictures that were somewhat/pretty graphic (BTW there was a warning that the link went to pages that we not for animal lovers that are faint of heart)

Also, i recall the point of the post was to try and determine what was being typed (it was in a foreign language) and said about the graphic photos...

sorry about that post (and some others, that were IMO humourous) that disappeared

also for the record, anyone can delete all my posts if it is deemed necessary or prudent, I won't mind

also btw, I think you have to be a member to post at all...

faint of heart

i did'nt see the post or link, just what i read on this forum .But what is the point,for such links on this forum,in my 57 years i have never been called faint of heart.semper fi.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool
    But what is the point,for such links on this forum,in my 57 years i have never been called faint of heart.semper fi.
    First off, Thanks for your service to our Country. maybe 'faint of heart' wasn't the proper phrase for me to use. sorry about that

as to why i posted the link here....

this is really the forum with the most international members that I hang out on frequently.... I was trying to find out if the pics were a hoax or not; and what was being typed/said about the pics... the website/photos were obviously stirring quite the controversy in it's country of origin (judging solely from the exclamations, bold type and large fonts)

in the end, I was just trying to get some quick and easy help breaking the language barrier. here seemed like a good place at the time when i first saw the link; so i posted it....

FWIW I did not raise any objections when the thread got whacked. not one complaint or nasty PM from me at all...

For the record, I have also been quick to revise my posts when PM'd by moderators or other interested individuals

Thread Information