Thread: DIY compact XPL 3 way system

glarre

DIY compact XPL 3 way system

I want a small system between Xpl 90 and 140 in size . The drivers I have are ti046-1, ti030 and 115h-1. So I do want some input if this is a good idea to work with . I have not done anything like this before .

// Tom

Quote Originally Posted by glarre
    I want a small system between Xpl 90 and 140 in size . The drivers I have are ti046-1, ti030 and 115h-1. So I do want some input if this is a good idea to work with . I have not done anything like this before .
    Opinions ??

- IMHO / It's a nice idea for a small box if you're committed to using a subwoofer below that small box. I'd use le14(s) or even le120H-1(s) .
    ( I've bought some 035Tia(s) & 115H-1(s) for just such a project / I suppose I should grab some T030(s) before they disappear ).

- If you want a workable small box woofer for a dedicated 3-way / set aside the 115h-1 and instead use the le10h ( or some Europeon produced counterpart / if there is one ).

Just my 2 cents

It sounds like a neat idea. One thing to consider (at least in my opinion) is that with a woofer that small making the system a three way and adding a midrange may actually confuse things more than help things.

Mike

glarre
    I was in to an octagon box , but I think Giskard plan solved the problem really nice Thanks alot !

Giskard do you have a network for this constillation ?

Earl K and mike I might use a subwoofer later with an active crossover .

// Tom

Smile

It strikes me that the 115H-1 isn't good enough to give you what you want. I consider it the weakest link in the XPL200. I've owned XPL200s for less than two months and listened to them for less than three days so far (as I just finished restoring them), so you might want to keep that in mind.

Nevertheless, my impression is that the XPL200 has three glorious drivers, plus the 115H-1.

I might have been biased in advance by this comment from Greg Timbers, who knows a heck of a lot more about it than I do:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1&postcount=12

The use of the T030 will require differences in the crossovers as compared to using the 093Ti or 095Ti.

If I were looking at the same kind of project and trying to use most of what you have, a 908Ti, T030, 046Ti combo would be in my sights, or perhaps a 906Ti, T030, 046Ti combo. If I had a choice, I'd use an 093Ti or 095Ti instead of the T030, but given how hard it is to find any of those 3" Ti drivers, you're lucky to have the pair you've got.

Good luck!
    Out.

Glarre,

- This is a start . Might be an end / who knows / as far as I'm aware, there isn't anyone here who has done any DIYing with the T030 . For your network, don't use any components marked out by the big red Xes .

- I know that I'm not intimately familiar with the 115h-1(s)' use. ,,,, but
    - I suspect I may agree with TiDomes 115h-1 assessment ( but then I'm a SR sort of guy & the 115H-1 struck me as pretty much a weenie sort of driver, best left in the drawer / of course, I just happen to like big magnet/motors).

- Don't blow too much money on your crossovers till you know you like this mix of components ( ie ; use cheaper Mylar caps till you are confident about your results / then, if you like what you hear, Charge-Couple™ the whole sheebang. This will cost you quite a lot of money compared to the initial Mylar approach. )

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by me
    - I suspect I may agree with TiDomes 115h-1 assessment ( but then I'm a SR sort of guy & the 115H-1 struck me as pretty much a weenie sort of driver, best left in the drawer / of course, I just happen to like big magnet/motors).
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard

Take the 115H-1 in context. It works just fine in the L20T, L20t3, 18Ti and 4406.

- I actually bought my 115H-1(s) so I could learn more about context in the HiFi world ( & about polypropylene cones ). Too many decades in SR has left it's mark .

glarre
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Glarre,

- This is a start . Might be an end / who knows / as far as I'm aware, there isn't anyone here who has done any DIYing with the T030 . For your network, don't use any components marked out by the big red Xes .
    Earl K , This is the 200a networks without 2214 LF driver . I agree that might be a good start .

// Tom

Quote Originally Posted by glarre
    This is the 200a networks without 2214 LF driver .
    I'm glad you recognize it because posters who can display that they have done some research tend to get treated more seriously .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I agree that might be a good start .
    - It could be the end-point for all we know.
    - As relayed to us via Giskard, JBL themselves go through multiple network revisions before they figure the voicing of a new speaker is "just right " .
    - The point ??? It's impossible via the internet to voice a "new" speaker ( collection of parts ) for someone else.

- Do a search for all the threads started by Don C. At one time he felt his 093Ti(s) ( or was it a 095Ti ?? ). were too hot ( in his XPL200a(s) ??? or the original XPL200(s) ). Anyways, Giskard reworked the values of the padding resistors so that Don could pad down the 093 if he so desired.
    - You'll want to have on hand, this optional padding information for your T030 circuit .

glarre
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - Do a search for all the threads started by Don C. At one time he felt his 093Ti(s) ( or was it a 095Ti ?? ). were too hot ( in his XPL200a(s) ??? or the original XPL200(s) ). Anyways, Giskard reworked the values of the padding resistors so that Don could pad down the 093 if he so desired.
    - You'll want to have on hand, this optional padding information for your T030 circuit .
    Here it is ....
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...6&postcount=12

Thanks alot guys for helping me out !!!

// Tom

Use the 115h-1's they sound just fine. After you live with them for a while look into upgrades if you want. Definitely build in the attenuator of the XPL200A network. The 093's are a tad hot, up a couple of dB.

Rob

glarre
    I can get a pair of 806G-1 is it worth replacing the 115H-1 with them ?

// Tom

Hello Tom

What are you trying to do?? Use the 115H-1 ported or are you going to use it sealed with a crossover to a woofer like the XPL-200??? If you are going for the XPL-200 build the speakers stock.

Rob

glarre
    Hi , Rob
    I´m trying to build a compact 3 way fullrange system with drivers from the XPL line that I have . The 115H-1 will be ported and use the same volume as the XPL 90 .

// Tom

glarre
    Hi again ,

The 115h-1 is no more and replaced with 806G-1 . I´m not a network ace and need some help to modify the XPL200A network to fit with with 806G-1 .
    Some info from WT2.
    Name:  806G-1.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  199.7 KB

// Tom

Thread Information