Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec model 15 ?

Altec model 15 ?

I have a nice set of 15s and can't seem to ID the woofer.
    Guess they made this speaker with a few variations at different stages of its life.
    Mine have plastic bent horns with 802-8Gs attached and they sound wonderful. I racooned the woogers and they too sound fine but I wonder if 414s might be a better choice. The stock woofs are cast frames, not stamped and appear to be the better of the woofer offerings for the 15s.

I know there are charts and numbers that determine what woof goes into what size cabinet and I would like to think Altec has this right. Then I get to wondering if cost might have played a roll and there could be something better.

Anyone have any ideas. This is the stock woof before refoaming.

RCA.

They don't look like Altec Woofers to me. The surround frame is not flush to the ground.

Anny way a 414 b's would be better. And if you can wait GPA is coming out with a new 12" .

.................................................. ..........................

I am certain I was the first to ever open these speakers since new and these are the original woofs that came in them.
    This is not to say Altec might not have used other drivers but I think they should be Altecs.
    Here is the front and cones with numbers.

It's a RCA.

Bill at G.P.A. told me this so I have to trust him.

I would trust Bill H. myself but sure wish you could be a bit more specific with this.
    If Bill says it is an RCA then I believe it. This would also indicate to me that ALTEC put RCAs in Model 15s from the factory. I would not doubt this either.
    I can certainly wait for GPA to produce the new 12" woofs but have to admit there is nothing wrong with the RCAs right now and my reason for asking this was to see if anyone knew if 414s might even be a better sound for this cabinet.
    It does seem odd Altec used a great 802-8G and then paired it with an RCA woofer indtead of one of their own. Then again I was pretty surprised when I found the 802-8Gs attached to a chincy plastic horn.
    I do believe towards the early 80s, Altec, like most companies started cutting some corners and these 15s could be the result of the cuts.

So give me some hope here. If I install some good GPAs or original 414s and possibly even some bent metal horns these might really come to life.

Oppinions?????

The cabinets are gorgeous, I just finished the grills and they look great so they are worth making right.

Those cabs look great. Congratulations! Your 100% right with 414 b"s and metal horns like the ones in the A8 I imagine. Then you got yourself an extremely efficient speakers system.

RCA don't sound right to me . Altec used OEM cone tweeters. But never thought they would use 12" from some cheep company like RCA.

I knew that on certain big projects they used JBL woofers when demand was high and suply low.

It proves one thing : better to have more frames on the shelves and wait to cone them.

.................................................. ..............................

Very interesting on this as I just got off the phone with the guy I got these from. He claims he bought them new and never did anything with them but play them till the foam went bad and sell them to me. Swears the woffs are what came in them from the box he personally opened.

If they really are RCAs then I have to believe Altec put them in.

John, if you know Bill H. well enough maybe he can shed some light on this.
    I think the horns that have the 90 degree bend and are metal are # 32s so I will search for a pair of these to go with the 802s.
    I really like the idea of the new GPA 12" woofs as a buddy just got a pair of the new GPA 515s and says they are better then any 515 he has ever heard. Great stuff happens at GPA and they deserve alot of praise from us.

Gary

For those who don't know what were talking about. Here is a picture of Altec model 15. Metal horn 32B.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wish I could have seen that pic about a month ago when I was trying to figure out the grills. Originals had thick foam and some sort of band to seperate top from bottom. My foam was shot so I had to use regular cloth but figure out the band part. On mine it is now a strip of Walnut stained to the same tone as the cabinets.

Never knew there was a series 2 either and wonder what is different from mine or how to tell which I have.
    They look about identicle.

I don't know the difference between series 1 and 2 . The other site might be able to help. Probaly has to do with when Altec moved from Anaheim to Oklahoma.

Here is a picture of 32B Horn.

Steve Gonzales

model 15

Those are the correct woofers, I'm 100% sure. here are photos of my 15's. BTW, I thought about putting some 414-8B's in them also. Sold them before taking it that far.

Thanks Steve, it sure looks like yours and my woofs are identicle but the question still remains if they are real Altec woofers or RCAs as mentioned above.
    I have attempted to research this a couple of times now but on this slow poke dial up it becomes little more then frustrating. Click and wait is what I call it.
    I don't really know the specs on the 414s at all or if they are a good choice for these boxes. Like I said in the first post here, I like to think Altec knew what they were doing but still wonder if they did not cut some corners. The plastic horns sound great but I had to repair one that cracked down by the base and I expect it was from a very heavy driver hanging off it while being transported with the speakers facing up.
    Hopefully, John can get some info from Bill at GPA and get me moving in the right direction.

Hi Gary Bill does not spend much time online as he has too much going on running G.P.A. and keeping everyone happy? But if you call him on the phone he will freely share his knowledge and experience regarding Altec. The way I remember it Altec had RCA build these for them, I think they call this out-sourcing to altec specs. So they are Altec 12's made by RCA. The thing about RCA being cheap, well I had the same perception but some say they made good stuff back in the 40,s- 50's.? Before my time

Thanks John, I just spent some time on GPA and did see that all 15s were supplied with RCA 33785 Woofs.
    I did ask him for some guidance to see if he thinks the 414-8 woofs and the 32 B horn will be a better choice for my speakers.
    Will wait to see what he says.
    Bill has been great with me in the past and also with a friend so I have complete faith in his guidance.
    I do know he is as busy as a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest so I try not to bug him or take him from getting others speakers running. He sure did get my 19s going and in break neck speed.

Thanks for all your input here, nice to get good info when I need it.

Gary

Thread Information