Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY amps.Pre and power,and things like that.

Nice work Northwood and Ian. Handwork has it's rewards, even if it isn't a "Fast" process. The "Kick" for me is to maintain precision BY hand. To that end, I have used laminate flooring "Planks" for templates when straight, "Square" exact edges are needed. The planks measure up true and square using a machinist square. I've clamped a plank (or several) on the panel (wood or metal) to be "Trued Up". A three-flute, flush-trim, router bit, with a CLEAN free spinning bearing, follows the true edge of the laminate "Template".

I cut the aluminium on the table saw. Have to prepare the blade with wax, and rub some wax where you will cut. Cut slowly.. I used a candle.

Beware of hot aluminium.

This case was cut on the table saw. Front panel 10mm thick, bottom panel 6mm thick, rear panel 5mm thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Forbidden Planet Anyone!

Very nice work.

I agree 90 % of the work is in making the case

Here is my Aleph 2. I never got around to polishing it.

I thought about making a traditional Aleph case but how do you pick it up without burning your fingers?
    Your A2 looks familiar to me,I must've seen them in PassDiy or DIYaudio before,you are my "grand old man" which does not mean you are aged .
    PS:I love your A2,looks perfect,you need not to polish it,PASSDIY is a special taste like what HappyFace said.
    The JBL behind A2 looks good too,please tell me more about it.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Quote Originally Posted by rek50
    Nice work Northwood and Ian. Handwork has it's rewards, even if it isn't a "Fast" process. The "Kick" for me is to maintain precision BY hand. To that end, I have used laminate flooring "Planks" for templates when straight, "Square" exact edges are needed. The planks measure up true and square using a machinist square. I've clamped a plank (or several) on the panel (wood or metal) to be "Trued Up". A three-flute, flush-trim, router bit, with a CLEAN free spinning bearing, follows the true edge of the laminate "Template".
    Thanks for your advice,REK50.

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    I cut the aluminium on the table saw. Have to prepare the blade with wax, and rub some wax where you will cut. Cut slowly.. I used a candle.

Beware of hot aluminium.

This case was cut on the table saw. Front panel 10mm thick, bottom panel 6mm thick, rear panel 5mm thick.
    Very standard design and work.
    I like it
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Northwood,

How do you cut and finish the aluminum panels?

The reason I ask is that my shop sells the panels cut to size but they are never dead square and I spent hours filing then true.

My next challenge with be to build a router table with a jig to finshing the panels. I will share the design when I am finished and it will make building cases much better and quicker!

You can get an excellent finished edge with an aluminium router bit.
    When I bought the aluminum board I asked the factory to cut the size I request.
    But they drove me crazy,because they have no proper saw,they just incise the aluminum half depth then broke up the boards by hands,I found that when they posted the boards to my family,what made me more nuts is that no packaging for the board,the surface became like shit.
    I had to file every edge of the six aluminum boards,4 times 6,almost 10 m for me to file all by hands with steel filing board,of coz I had to polish the surface of them at last.
    From then on,except very small works,I use machine tool to do the job.

Time here is 9:00 AM.got to do something else,I'll be keeping watching here and uploading more pics,thank you guys.
    Have a nice weekend

Quote Originally Posted by northwood

Your A2 looks familiar to me,I must've seen them in PassDiy or DIYaudio before,you are my "grand old man" which does not mean you are aged .
    PS:I love your A2,looks perfect,you need not to polish it,PASSDIY is a special taste like what HappyFace said.
    The JBL behind A2 looks good too,please tell me more about it.
    Yes it has been posted on the diy forums and Pass Gallery, they were all the rage a few year ago.

That speaker is now old project and many updates since to JBL 4345 super*.

I get bored after a while and make other stuff.

The last pic is the real deal. See the real stuff in the flesh gives me goose bumps!

Bye for now, have F1 race here.

*Special treatment

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Jesus!
    Typical American diy style.
    Amazing works.
    I'll learn more from you from now on.

Slightly off topic re: the 4425 pic

This is a cool discusison thread. I've built one of the Pass Pearl phono preamps and find it quite nice. I'm still playing around with tube gear these day but may someday build up a Pass amp - someday.

What caught my eye in this thread, though, was the 4425 pic. Specifically, what looks like a set of UREI monitors in the background.

What store was that in? They sell candy, right?

Cheers,

David

VOL
    It took me 6 hrs to make it.Does it look nice?^___^
    It has great effection to the quality of sound.

@_@

inside

FACE

just photoshopped a logo on the pic,not real on case's face

case

As what I said in this thread,I abandoned the case that took me one month to make.
    This is a model Taiwan made.
    Looks very cool,huh?
    Whole set costs 2000USD.
    Too expensive!
    Two channels in one case,though 100kg per,I dun think it's good for a "cooker" like "A class aleph 1.2".
    mono would be perfect.

Thread Information