Thread: After 30 years I still love JBL

After 30 years I still love JBL

As some of you know, I sold my beloved 4343's here recently and have been hunting for something to replace them within my budget that would satisfy my long love affair with that JBL sound. I had planned to buy a Harmon Kardon AVR7300Z from the online clearance site, and inquired about the 412's that were shown, but not available. I got an amazingly helpful (not to mention financially delightful) response from Scott, the details of which are pasted below. When a company like JBL offers such phenomenal products for decades, coupled with such remarkable personal service and support, how could I ever consider anyone else? Here's to another 30 years of loving JBL...

Here are the emails:

Hello,

I have purchased from you several times, as well as referring a number of friends and have always been delighted! I am about to order the AVR 7300Z, and have a speaker question. I am interested in the S412PII’s but I’m a little puzzled by the price. You show them at 849.00 each, which seems very high? Should that be per pair? Please let me know…

Thanks as always!

Paul Berendsohn
    ************************************************** *********************************
    Hello Paul,
    The pricing for the S412PII is for each unit. But since these are an older model if you wish, I can offer a pair of these to you for $550.00. Let me know if you do want to take advantage of this offer.

Sincerely
    Scott Schatzel

(PS... that's right... he said A PAIR!!!)

Hi Scott,

You have no idea how happy you have made me!

Let me tell you a quick story you and your colleagues there may find interesting. I decided recently, for a variety of reasons, to downsize my hugeeee audio system and have sold my beloved 4343 monitors. If you are unfamiliar with these, they are approx 175 lb beasts with 15" woofers, which I bought new 30 years ago and have adored ever since. Aside from refoaming the woofers a few years back they have been flawless and a joy to own for three decades. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was choked up to sell them. I have started shopping for replacements for the first time in 30 years and realize that there is still just no substitute for that distinctive JBL sound. I had bought rear surround and a center channel speaker from your website a few years ago and was delighted. The 412s have been strongly recommended and I am so confident of JBL's quality I'm comfortable ordering them without so much as a test listening.

Please let me know how best to order these, as well as the 7300Z receiver? Thank you so very much for your personal attention to a lifetime JBL lover, I'm very grateful...

Paul Berendsohn
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    By the way Scott,

I am a member of a JBL "Legacy" community on the internet, and was asking some folks there about finding these 412s. I get the impression there are some folks there that would also jump at this offer, if you want to move some out but didn't want to mention your generous offer without your permission. Let me know if you want (or don't want) me to mention this?

Thanks again, you really have made me very happy!

Paul Berendsohn
    ************************************************** **************************************************
    Paul,
    I can place the order for you manually in our system. I would need your complete billing information such as name as it appears on the credit card, the home billing address and phone number that the credit card company has on file for you.
    If you wish you can contact us by phone at 516-682-6438 M-f 9am to 6pm EST.
    This set of S412PII is the last one we have so I would not be able to pass along the same offer to others on within the "Legacy" realm, but your more than welcome to provide them with information regarding our site at www.harmanaudio.com and the level of service we provide.

Sincerely
    Scott Schatzel

(sorry guys... I tried!)

Hopefully, by the time you read this the 412's will be on their way! Thanks JBL and Scott, you took some of the edge off my "loss". That's what I call a legacy!

PaulB

Obsolete

Groovy

And now you know first hand why there really is no point in being a JBL Consumer Dealer.

I'm not sure I agree with that Giskard. I was in the photography business for 30 years so I know all about undercutting and slim to none margins.

However, I was thinking of going for 310's as a temporary speaker. When I did some research, I found that B&H Photo/Video actually had significantly lower prices on these than the clearance website. If someone in this area had the 412's, I would undoubtedly have bought them, even at a bit of a premium. But let's face it, these are a discontinued model and I'm sure they were heavily discounted at retail when they were closed out.

The discount was obviously a delight and icing on the cake, but the real message here is the service and extra effort that Scott showed a JBL fan.

PaulB

Obsolete

Nothing New

I've never known JBL or Harman to fail when confronted by a customer one-on-one.

Bingo. And as many of us know, the pros at JBL Pro are wonderful to us.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Smile Sometimes...

Things work out well. They sure did in this case.

Congrats!
    Out.

WOW, what a deal...amazing...Glad you got it..Geez and that price is for both... Good job

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB

This set of S412PII is the last one we have so I would not be able to pass along the same offer to others on within the "Legacy" realm.

(sorry guys... I tried!)

Three years later and I'm still looking.....

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    And now you know first hand why there really is no point in being a JBL Consumer Dealer.
    Bingo...sooner or later retail dealers will no longer exist....anywhere.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Sorry JBLn...I'll give you dibs on these! But if I like em nearly as well as the 4343's (OK, maybe a stretch) you'll have to wait 30 years.

PaulB

Sorry JBLn...I'll give you dibs on these! But if I like em nearly as well as the 4343's (OK, maybe a stretch) you'll have to wait 30 years.

PaulB
    Well, understand it's just for fun for me..I have more speakers than I wish to admit to and most are in storage( and I sell most of them)..... The universe has a way of doing right and the person who needs them the most got'em.

They really are very good speakers - and no, they're not 4343's so it will take some getting use to ( esp. after listening to the same speakers for 30 years), you'll need to listen to them for a few months at least...That's how long it took me get use to the PS series ( and find the right equip for them)

I can't even fathom getting the 412's for that price...WOW

well we expect a complete "review" when the time is right..

congrads on a great steal, I mean deal....

and..if they don't float your boat you know my PM ( keep the boxes )

I'm not sure I agree with that Giskard. I was in the photography business for 30 years so I know all about undercutting and slim to none margins.

However, I was thinking of going for 310's as a temporary speaker. When I did some research, I found that B&H Photo/Video actually had significantly lower prices on these than the clearance website. If someone in this area had the 412's, I would undoubtedly have bought them, even at a bit of a premium. But let's face it, these are a discontinued model and I'm sure they were heavily discounted at retail when they were closed out.

The discount was obviously a delight and icing on the cake, but the real message here is the service and extra effort that Scott showed a JBL fan.

PaulB
    Congrats Paul , I have had nothing short of great Experience when dealing with JBL. I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase. Please let us know how it all works for you.

Thread Information