Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP 4343's

RIP 4343's

OK, so I'm finally contemplating life without my 4343's and shopping for speakers for the first time in nearly 30 years. When did 6" in a floor standing speaker become a woofer? I listened to some 1500.00 Polks and Infinity so far. They were pleasant enough I suppose but...
    It's obvious that I'm not going to get the sound I'm used to but I don't want to cringe, nor do I want to drop multi thousands. I researched the curent JBL offerings online and was thinking of the S412, which I'm guessing is discontinued, or maybe the E100 (hoping dual 10" will give me some of the bass I'm looking for). I'm more inclined to go new than used.
    Anyone have any first hand experience with these? Unfortunately no one in my area stocks either so I'm going to largely rely on my past experience that JBL sound has a certain characteristic that I'm looking for.

Thanks for any imput (as long as you don't make me feel worse for selling my 4343's to Steve )

PaulB

Just a suggestion. Why not look at the newer stuff and consider a 2235 based subwoofer. If that is where you seem to having the most trouble it might work for you.

Rob

I guess I'm just old school Rob. With the 4343's never needed a sub so I don't have any experience with them. Any particular suggestions?

BTW...When I dump my rack O gear, I'm planning on a HK AVR 7300Z, I decided it's time to simplify

PaulB

Great idea Rob. I would do exactly that. Paul, maybe you could look at 4312's or some such derivative?
    Charles.

RIP 2009
    I'd suggest 4412's - they're still current, and while they have a 12" for good LF response, the cabinets are still relatively small.

John

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB

I researched the curent JBL offerings online and was thinking of the S412, which I'm guessing is discontinued, or maybe the E100 (hoping dual 10" will give me some of the bass I'm looking for). I'm more inclined to go new than used.
    Anyone have any first hand experience with these?

PaulB

yes............

How much are you wanting to spend?????

If it were me I'll go with the S412 over the E100 anyday...yes, I know the S412's are not new , but I think you'll like them more and you should find the price real nice...I'm looking for a pair to play with...

But Mostly, Why Oh Why are you selling your 4343's???

so what are you wanting to pay..??

Sigh... the why of selling the 4343's (and the rest of my gear) is a long story. The fact is that my system is wildly overkill for my current lifestyle, and having started a new business I made the decision that as that's the case, a smaller, simpler system and a few grand in the bank is more important to me these days. As to what I'm willing to spend, I'd like to stay around 1000 or so.

Sigh... well, time to do some more research...

Thanks

PaulB

norealtalent
    OK, nobody laugh, how about some 4315's? Much smaller, still a 4 way, really could use a horn but so could everything and a whole lot more pleasant on the wallet.
    ...And don't count on new age JBL having the same effect for you as the old stuff... ain't gonna happen. Not saying it will be bad, actually better in some ways but still different from my experience.

4430 Club

I guess I'll chime in for the "4430 Club." You can probably find a good pair under $1500. You will not loose any bass you are custom to. You may even like them better than the 4343's? You can get diaphragms from JBL should you need them. There are a lot of qualified re-cone/re-foam people on this site alone if the 2235's need to be done. The only thing you will not achieve is a much smaller speaker. They are pretty close to the same size. I'll let you know how they sound with the Harman receiver I just ordered, should be here Wed. $200 for a 120 watt stereo receiver and the 4430's may make a killer and reasonably priced system?

Let's not forget 4425, for smaller with hornz.

And if you want REALLY small, we're workin' on it in another thread here....

I hate to say it but if you must have something new I would probably not even consider JBL's. I would look at stuff along the lines of Thiel, Aerial Acoustics, etc.

Mike

Smile Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I hate to say it but if you must have something new I would probably not even consider JBL's. I would look at stuff along the lines of Thiel, Aerial Acoustics, etc.

Mike

..and we hate you for saying it, too. Especially me, I guess, since I'm an advocate of the new JBL stuff over the old.

How could I have been so wrong?
    Out.

A pair of LSR 32's, used. Subwoofer to follow if you wish, but I don't think you'll really feel the absence of it.

David

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB
    Sigh... the why of selling the 4343's (and the rest of my gear) is a long story. The fact is that my system is wildly overkill for my current lifestyle, and having started a new business I made the decision that as that's the case, a smaller, simpler system and a few grand in the bank is more important to me these days. As to what I'm willing to spend, I'd like to stay around 1000 or so.

Sigh... well, time to do some more research...

Thanks

PaulB
    10-4, understand that one, but you know, the "Wildly Overkill" is half the fun

Ok, serious now..... what everyone is mentioning is good, but I would steer you away from the 4430's for a few reasons, mostly tho, they can take time and money to "get it right". they are really made for studio's and can take some time in the home to get right, PLUS it takes a lot of power ( no less than 200 watts, 300 watts better, 400 or more ahhhhhh ) to get them up to full steam ( headroom)

I would also steer you away from the "older" models such as the 4315..while they are really nice, being that old they may need attention and repair and my understanding is you want it simple and inexpensive...

the new stuff like the LSR32 are very nice speakers but they can sound "Tight" in the bass and mid-bass . Personally I think they need a sub on the bottom.

other brands well, they're nice too but the price for new or fairly new ones can be high........and they don't have the JBL feel or sound...

I'm still staying with the S412's and heres' why....
    1. They're fairly new so no work would be needed
    2. they sound really good....
    3. They can be had for around $1000 or ( a little more or less)
    4. They sound really good....
    5. They are a 4 way and sound great ( you know how GT is with 4 ways and he's proud of these), bass is nice and doesn't need a sub, mid-bass and mid are articulate and so are the highs
    6. also, the bass has it's own amp so you won't need as much amp to power it.
    7. Did I mention they sound great???

the Studio series ( S312 and S412) to me are some of the most under-rated, and "most bang for the buck" speakers on the planet, period.. The nice thing about them is that you have that 12" which can give you the JBL bass - midbass FEEL. personally I think the studio series would be your cake AND you could eat it. JBL sound, nice price, not much room taken up, 412 has it's own powered woofer........

anyway, that's my two cents worth..of course you're milage may vary, but try the S412's, I think you'll be surprised.... Well, that's all I can say on this topic

Good luck with whatever you do...

I'm really leaning that way JBLn, I just don't see myuself being happy with (ugh) 6 or 8" woofers in a small box... On the HK website they're getting 850.00 a piece for 412s, which sounds like full list. They have some great prices on other items so I'm mystified. I can't seem to find the 412s for sale anywhere else which makes me suspect they're on the way out? I have a call in to a friend who's a JBL industrial dealer to see if he can get consumer goods, but I'd be grateful if anyone can point me to someone that has 412s at a decent price...

PaulB

Thread Information