Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: XPL200 Rehab

Regis
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    It's a bit of a pain putting the 2214H-1 woofers back in. Of course, they're heavy and unwieldy

Poor baby! I'll take those big heavy clunkers off've your hands! But seriously, that's one of my favorite 12" JBL drivers. They move a lot of air and they go pretty lo-o-ow!

Dome

great job...I'm sure it's exciting.. here's something to try if you get the time or desire....

I was noticing that it looks like they used the same monster wire on all four speakers...

anyway, try rewiring the the tweeter and mid-range with Zilches' wires ( you know what I mean - and get the wires with the better insulation) and hear the difference.. of course do one speaker first and then compare..should be different.....

Nice resuscitation, TiDome....nice cabinet restoration!
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Man you do nice work Dome.

You mentioned "new speaker smell", home the cigarette smoker aroma is gone for good.

Those speakers should thank their lucky stars to have ended up in your capable hands.

Good save!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Regis

Poor baby! I'll take those big heavy clunkers off've your hands! But seriously, that's one of my favorite 12" JBL drivers. They move a lot of air and they go pretty lo-o-ow!

Sorry, I'll have to hang on to them for now.

Once they've got some hours on them, I'll be running them side by side with the LE120H-1 woofers in the L7s to get some perspective. I'm sure the drivers will sound different; I just don't know how that difference will express itself.

Should be fun!
    Out.

Smile ZMC, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by JBLnsince1959
    Dome

great job...I'm sure it's exciting.. here's something to try if you get the time or desire....

I was noticing that it looks like they used the same monster wire on all four speakers...

anyway, try rewiring the the tweeter and mid-range with Zilches' wires ( you know what I mean - and get the wires with the better insulation) and hear the difference.. of course do one speaker first and then compare..should be different.....
    Yeah, that's worth a shot. Perhaps I'll give it a go once I become accustomed to the stock sound.
    Out.

Question To grille or not to grille

The grilles that came with these speakers are virtually worthless. Most of the mounting pegs are broken off, the cloth is snagged and torn, and they are broken in several places. Inasmuch as I really don't need to put grilles on them, I'm in no hurry to do anything about it, except, it seems like they should have grilles on when not in use.

If there's a pair of decent grilles available, I'd be surprised, yet it never hurts to ask. Any knowledge of grilles for XPL200s?

Also, there's a logo at the bottom of one speaker, but not the other, and my XPL160s have no logos at all. Anyone have a source?

Harman will put them on my wish list, but the price is high and the wait is uncertain.
    Out.

Steve Gonzales

That is the question

I'd love to see those grills, can you post a pic?. You've done a great job Ti Dome, a wonderful distraction from the feuding in other parts of the forum. Anyways, I assume the grill frames are made of that plastic composite stuff that the L100t's are made of?. What weave is the original?. As I recall, it is a very light weight cloth. Thank you again for sharing your resto. with us, well done Sir, Steve G.

Smile Grilles Front View

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    I'd love to see those grills, can you post a pic?. You've done a great job Ti Dome, a wonderful distraction from the feuding in other parts of the forum. Anyways, I assume the grill frames are made of that plastic composite stuff that the L100t's are made of?. What weave is the original?. As I recall, it is a very light weight cloth. Thank you again for sharing your resto. with us, well done Sir, Steve G.
    I had to do a little propping up (you'll see why later), but here are the grilles from the front. One obviously has some big problems. What you can't see well is the tearing on the left edge grille cloth of the grille on the left.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Red face Grilles Rear View

Here the many problems are abundantly revelaed. I Photoshopped orange dots at every point where the grille frames are broken or mounting pegs are missing.
    Out.

Unhappy Grille Damage Close Up

Here the worst is revealed, or at least partially revealed. What doesn't show are all the missing vanes, connectors, and small stiffeners that are completely missing under the sagging cloth at the top.
    Out.

Steve Gonzales

Wow

Those are almost as bad as the Altec 19 grills I am working on!. I've saved some before, but this looks like the mother of all restorations. I have actually 'sugically' removed pegs from other grills and epoxied them cleanly to another frame. I have also found that there is an epoxy called 'Plastic Fusion' that performs very well in these types of applications (Home Depot). Once the grill cloth is removed from the frame and it is epoxied back together, I use brad nails to act as 'rebar' to reinforce the new grafted pin by drilling a pilot hole carefully through both pieces while they are lined up. There is usually more of a 'pad' built into the frame where the pegs are placed to facilitate this. You could add small pieces of wood, plastic or metal across the breaks in the main frame to act as stiffeners also. This is also a very tedious process, but short of finding new grills, it is at least a glimmer of hope. Wish I lived closer.

BTW, You must keep the alignment spot on during the rebuild.

Maserati,nice car
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by northwood

Maserati,nice car
    One of the first things I did was replace the speakers with JBL co-axial drivers with Ti dome tweeters. I put a JBL sub in the luggage compartment.

Now that I've got the 095Ti bug from the XPL200s, maybe I'll grab some of those JBL T030 drivers for it.

BTW, her name is Beatrice, as in Dante's La Divina Commedia, since she came from Italy, and she's my vision of perfection.
    Out.

Speaker Grilles

Hey Dome!!

Very nice work!!
    I have done a lot of plastic repair and could repair your grilles. They would take some time but could be salvaged if you would like PM for details.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information