Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: XPL200 Rehab

The Next Level: Fully Active!

While the XPL200 by-pass switch does remove the power robbing inductor from the woofer circuit along with the caps, the upper drivers are still using the passive network when driven by the DX-1.

A fully active system is the next step if one really wants to explore the possibilities!

Many have complained the 093Ti as being over bearing; I claim the 2214H & 115H simply just can’t keep up……..

My experiments with a fully active system without ANY passive elements have taught me if you put in the extra time & work, the rewards are well worth the effort!

Happy Holidays,
    VSN

Obsolete
    One could use LEAP to come up with an active solution for the passive network voltage drive.

Quote Originally Posted by VSN View Post
    While the XPL200 by-pass switch does remove the power robbing inductor from the woofer circuit along with the caps, the upper drivers are still using the passive network when driven by the DX-1.

A fully active system is the next step if one really wants to explore the possibilities!

Many have complained the 093Ti as being over bearing; I claim the 2214H & 115H simply just can’t keep up……..

My experiments with a fully active system without ANY passive elements have taught me if you put in the extra time & work, the rewards are well worth the effort!

Happy Holidays,
    VSN

Or get lucky and have Greg Timbers build the XPL200A cards for the DX-1 and call it a day.

(Yes, I know a few guys who can do what's proposed, but I'm not one of them at my current level of commitment. I just want to listen to music while someone else who's experienced and knowledgeable does most of the work. )
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    One could use LEAP to come up with an active solution for the passive network voltage drive.
    Careful. Someone is going to ask you to do the modeling, then design the schematic, then...

Oh heck, you know.

Hasn't that already been done here somewhere?
    Out.

I actually purchased a spare pair of crossover networks for the 200's for the purpose of redesigning/modifying them at the time I was testing the DX-1's and looking at ways of improving the signal path from the speakers to the DX-1. The crossover boards are very well jam packed and hard to get into/pull apart and wasn't about to start destroying the boards in the process.

Some improvements to the 200 crossovers would be to replace the wiring and capacitors for a start but I would be interested in a project where the internal crossover can be completely bypassed for a true active setup. Another project

Cheers

Anyone have any real good photo's of the LF DX-1 card?? I need to build up a LF card but I want to make a PCB and need good photo's for the art work. Beter yet anybody have a spare LF card?? Can't hurt to ask

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Topside pics from Pasadena in old thread I reference in that other ongoing XPL-200 thread... Shows parts placement on general purpose card

Just a small suggestion from my years of cabinet making and custom veneering. A really useful approach to re-gluing veneer that is lifting is to slit the veneer, then use a small gauge hypodermic needle and syringe to inject what's known in cabinet making as "assembly" glue. It's a much thinner glue than the traditional white or yellow glues used in woodworking. It's used in dowel joints to avoid blow outs caused by pressing joints together so fast that the hydraulic pressure of the glue in the dowel bore can't escape fast enough. By using a much thinner glue, that sort of blowout can be avoided. This sort of glue is quite watery and a white color, so it looks sorta like whole milk. Then you can do a quick wipe down with water, apply wax paper or saran wrap or something similar to keep from gluing anything extra to the panel, and finally a sand bag for pressing the veneer down as the glue sets. If you prefer to use the thicker white glue, you can microwave it briefly and it will flow through a 22 or 18 gauge needle as well.

Can anyone still get these replacement diaphragms?

Can anyone get their hands on these still???? [email protected]

Titanium Dome who started this thread years ago had a hard time finding them then. If you want to find one the come up for sale every once in a while on the bay. One was on there just recently. How bad did you hurt yours? If just a dent you may be able to hold it near a vacuum cleaner and suck it back out. Good luck
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Thread Information