Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK 3480 Stereo Receiver?

HK 3480 Stereo Receiver?

I am looking for a stereo receiver for a third system. Harmon.com is practically giving these 120 watt receivers away for $200. I checked at Fry's who still had them for over $400! Anyone have experience with this receiver. Will be driving an old pair of L1's.

Thanks

Obsolete
    They have a ton of power for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    They have a ton of power for what they are.
    I guess for $200 and a full factory warranty I can't go wrong.

Nightbrace
    UM, yes you can, the warranty is probably only good for 90 days, be sure to read the fine print. HK is amounst the hardest to service of the newer receivers/amps. HK is a great company for consumer gear, but nothing to brag about, and definitely not Hi-Fidelity. I'd liken it to the older Kenwood, technics type sound, warm and smooth, but overall in just the ok class. If you need wattage and want something that if it breaks you can get repaired before the warranty wears out, go for it, but after the warranty expires, its a worthless endeavor. Its truly a throw-away piece of consumer electronics that I guess we all are becoming accustomed to. But even that said its better than most of the new gear, especially for that price.

Just curious, what speakers will you be driving should you bite the bullet and get the amp?

The HK is a very nice receiver and you are right that is a smoking deal and you can pick one up off their E-bay sales for a Tadd less. All of the refurb stuff carries the full factory warranty and you will be very impressed with the build quality at the price level.

Quote Originally Posted by rockecat
    The HK is a very nice receiver and you are right that is a smoking deal and you can pick one up off their E-bay sales for a Tadd less. All of the refurb stuff carries the full factory warranty and you will be very impressed with the build quality at the price level.
    Thanks for the encouraging comments. I just went ahead and bought one. Don't worry Rockecat, I will not blame you if I hate it. I have an old Sony that's going to the work shop. The HK will be used in a bedroom system and should work nicely. I am going to compare it with my Yamaha RX-777 receiver I use in my living room. As crazy as this may sound, I haven't found an integrated amp or other stereo receiver that sounds better than the Yammy? Believe me, I have had quite a few even in the $2K range. It's just a great piece and a real sleeper IMHO. I'm looking froward to the comparason.

Poor Bass???

It's funny to read the consumer reviews of this receiver. One common complaint is the lack of bass. Then, at least some, list the speakers they are using. I wish I could tell them that it doesn't matter if you have this receiver or 500 watt Crown mono blocks, you are still not going to get real bass out of a 6" Polk driver! Some added a sub and you will never guess, they had bass! How amazing is that!

Obsolete
    There is no lack of bass in Harman Kardon amplifiers or receivers.

"it doesn't matter if you have this receiver or 500 watt Crown mono blocks, you are still not going to get real bass out of a 6" Polk driver"

You got it.

clmrt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    UM, yes you can, the warranty is probably only good for 90 days, be sure to read the fine print. HK is amounst the hardest to service of the newer receivers/amps. HK is a great company for consumer gear, but nothing to brag about, and definitely not Hi-Fidelity. I'd liken it to the older Kenwood, technics type sound, warm and smooth, but overall in just the ok class. If you need wattage and want something that if it breaks you can get repaired before the warranty wears out, go for it, but after the warranty expires, its a worthless endeavor. Its truly a throw-away piece of consumer electronics that I guess we all are becoming accustomed to. But even that said its better than most of the new gear, especially for that price.

Just curious, what speakers will you be driving should you bite the bullet and get the amp?
    Warranty = 2 years. I've bought 4 amps from Harmanaudio, all refurbs, 1 was down in the first week - repaired in 3 days and returned, no issues since, 5 years runnin'.

http://www.myharman.net/HK/Warranty/HK1021%20LR.pdf

hk 3480

i have listen to the 3480, And to my ears, i liked it better then the denon dra 685 stereo receiver.Fuller sounding,with more range.i bought a dvd 25 floor model with no remote,called hk,faxed them the bill of sale and they sent me a remote no problem.Not everbody would do this for FREE.

I got the receiver yesterday but haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, maybe Monday. I will be curious to see how it stacks up against my Yamaha RX-777, which is a great piece for what it is.

Impressed!

I hooked it up to the 4430's yesterday and had it on all day. I have to say I am pretty impressed! Plenty of low end and more articulate highs and mids than the Yammy. The Yammy may have the advantage in the bass dept. but It does most everything else better IMHO. I'm going to keep it in my main system for a while and let it break in. It may be a refurb but looks and works like brand new with the FULL warranty! Not bad for $200!

Obsolete
    Cool! I'm not familiar with the Yamahammer but I can't imagine much of anything having a better bottom end than the H/K. The current dump in that little bastard is nuts. I suppose times change. I've owned alot of Yamahammer stuff over the decades but nothing recent. I liked it all.

clmrt
    Any chance of getting a nekkid photo (of the HK.. )?

Quote Originally Posted by oznob
    I hooked it up to the 4430's yesterday and had it on all day. I have to say I am pretty impressed! Plenty of low end and more articulate highs and mids than the Yammy. The Yammy may have the advantage in the bass dept. but It does most everything else better IMHO. I'm going to keep it in my main system for a while and let it break in. It may be a refurb but looks and works like brand new with the FULL warranty! Not bad for $200!
    Does this mean I am off the hook!!
    I have owned several H/K recievers and they have always been big bang for the buck$$$

Thread Information