Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: behringer amps

Quote Originally Posted by gene
    Thanks guys. I almost bought the behringer amp.I will try the crown k2 and the qsc 3602. I will let you know which one I choose at a later date.Thanks agin
    I used a K2 for mains for quite some time and it worked pretty good. It was not a home HIFI sound but it worked well and had no fan. I now use it for sub duty with 2 2242's and it will pretty much knock you down. I also tried the crown aginst a pair of proceed hpa2's and yes the proceeds sounded a bit better but the K2 just had lots of power for a good price.

BTW the proceeds bridged were 500/w per as well. They also cost twice as much used.
    Always fun learning more.......

The Verdict???

OK, my old sub amp died the other day and the Behringer is looking pretty good for the $$$. This would be to push my W15GTI (12 ohms) and occasionally the W15GTI in parallel with a 2235 (8 ohms). Thus, the need to make good power at high impediance while being able to easily negotiate a 4.8 ohm load.

Did anyone actually end up getting one and what are your impressions? How noisey is the fan?

Thanks.

Sorry to wait so long to post to this thread again(forgot to sub). The fans in both the ep1500 and ep2500 are pretty loud. My brother runs the ep1500 on two 15" subs (dayton quattro's) and I run the ep2500 on my diy subs. Luckily I run my amps in an equipment closet so it cuts the sound down a lot. My brother's amp is in the open and it can be a tad distracting at times.

I run several pro amps in my setup...the behringer is loudest by far, then the qsc plx1602 is next, then qsc usa900 and the least noisy pro amp I run is a samson s1000. The usa900 and especially the s1000 make very little noise even though they both are fan cooled like the others.

-ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenWH
    Hey guy's sorry to resurrect an older thread...and it's my first post to boot .

Anyway, I actually own a behringer ep2500 and a qsc plx1602 and ran them head to head. I already had the 1602 on my jbl 4642a subwoofer bridged to 4ohm. But found a great deal on a ep2500 so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The behringer did seem to have a little more power/volume/impact but the qsc had a much cleaner/tighter sound. The ep2500 was a good bit more "boomy" sounding. I ended up keeping the plx1602 on the jbl and use the ep2500 on my diy dual-15" sub. Now if you just want max spl and don't care about sound quality...the Behringer amps are hard to beat for the $.

I noticed that several online retailers have the plx series on sale...I don't know for sure but they may be soon replaced by the new plx2 line. I've recently seen the plx3402 on sale for less than what I paid four years ago for plx1602. Good deals to be had on a great line of amps imo.
    The PLX are really hard to beat SS amps. Like I said above, I use one with horns and it is clean as can be.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by matsj
    Hello gene.

I feed my 4 2245 with a Qsc plx 3402 and i can say i´m VERY happy with it. But for normal home use i think a Crown k2 will work very well, you´ll get 2500w in bridge mode.

I have 3 Crown K2 to feed my 8 2226 in a home cinema . I dont think i can find anything better to do the work.

You wont be dissapointed with a K2 amp.

regards mats
    Over the years I've used almost 20 different types of crown amps (including the k2) and have come to the conclusion that they are ok-not great but ok. Their specs are usually overated as is their reputation however they are still decent and have been around for a long time however the Crest Pro series are a much better amplifier then anything crown or qsc has ever made (although the crown Reference series amps are very clean and qsc also makes very nice equipment), compare the construction and internal layout of crown,qsc or others in this catagory (pro sound) to Crest, you can see the Crest equipment has an overbuilt power supply,heavier chassis construction and a heavier gauge power cord, of course the specs reflect this...there are more comparisons to be made but the bottom line is Crest Pro series amps (and some CA series)have better sound quality and durability, this is not a slight of crown,qsc or others of this ilk, just a simple truth. If absolute power is your thing they also excell in this area with the 10001-10,000 watts all night into a 1 ohm load at 20-20khz @ 0.1% thd+N- of course this amp requires two (seperate) 35 amp circuits, basically real power requires "real power"
    Power is series business

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Saturn 5
    ...the Crest Pro series are a much better amplifier then anything crown or qsc has ever made...
    'Another Crest fan here - I own 6 of them, including a CA9, 4801, P3500 and miscellaneous other ones. 'Still my favorites...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    'Another Crest fan here - I own 6 of them, including a CA9, 4801, P3500 and miscellaneous other ones. 'Still my favorites...

John
    Hi John, (excellent first name), aside from the Crest amps you mentioned what are the others you have. I myself play in an all original progressive rock band and like all original musicians,we think our material is better then the other bands, lol... however we do at least try to give ourselves an edge by using a high quality tri-amped PA system. Over the years we've tried many, many different types of amps,speakers and misc. other items, our conclusion about the Crest Pro series, CA series and even the old FA series( especially the FA-2401) is that although the stuff is really heavy there is nothing that is as well built and sonically capable, thats not to say the other brands are no good, they are all pretty good-its just that we've been comparing amps for a long time and this is the best we've used so far. Oh, I also wanted to mention the original thread about Behringer amps- because we're cheap bastards we bought an ep2500 to power the lows and mids of our drummers tri-amped JBL 4699 PA monitor,this consists of a E155 18" low frequency driver, an E110 10" mid and a 2425H high frequency driver (the driver is powered by a small EV amp), the behringer amp does well in this role and considering the price its really a good deal, of course Behringer overates their specs like many companies do, the main difference is their equipment is so damn inexpensive-we only paid $275 for a new EP2500, I mean sure, for our main FOH system we'll spend the big bucks on Crest but for monitors or a band on a budget I can't really say anything bad about the Behringer stuff, anyway hope to hear from you soon and have a nice day, John.
    Power is series business

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Saturn 5
    ...aside from the Crest amps you mentioned what are the others you have.
    I just realized I own 7 - besides the ones I mentioned, I've got an FA901, 2001A, 1501A, and 1001A. I'll run down their usage later, but at least 900 watts is always going to my bass guitar, (that's what I play live...).

John

If you do a bit of hunting around on the 'net you'll find that the Behringer is almost an IDENTICAL copy of the QSC RMX series. Talk about reverse engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    Thanks guys. I almost bought the behringer amp.I will try the crown k2 and the qsc 3602. I will let you know which one I choose at a later date.Thanks agin
    Come clean gene....what did you buy?...

Thread Information