Thread: Advice ...........Again. This time its Turntables

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice ...........Again. This time its Turntables

Everyone here has been terrific about giving it, So I will ask again.

I have been running a Thorens 125 MK II with a Linn Basik Plus arm and a Shure V15 type 5 cartridge. Today as I tried to play a record it sounded HORRIBLE and I noticed the needle was off angle and the cartridge was almost dragging on the LP. I figured it was time to replace the cartridge as it is almost 6 years old and I started to order one up but then I thought I would ask the forum here for recommendations.

Any suggestions?

If you wanna stay with a moving magnet (to keep the same signal level to the preamp), I'd seriously look at an Ortofon 540 Mk II... around $280. Or, they have the 530, for less $ ($220 or so).

Basically, I'm a BIG fan of line-contact styli... MUCH quieter background noise level than ellipticals. And Ortofon makes some of the best styli (Fritz Geiger, on the higher models!) of anyone...

If the sky-is-the-limit... the Benz Ace ($500) is available in a high-output version, that will work with most "normal" phono inputs. You would need to get a "loading kit" to plug into the interconnect at the preamp... to load the cartridge down to like, a 300 ohm load or so (instead of 47K for a moving-magnet cartridge). One of the simply most amazing cartridges available, at any price, IME...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Call Brooks Berdan

I highly recommend this gentleman:

http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/

Brooks Berdan is a former JPL engineer that followed his passion for analog recording reproduction. He is world renowned and a very nice guy...and in SoCal. He'll take good care of your turntable needs.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    I highly recommend this gentleman:

http://www.brooksberdanltd.com/

Brooks Berdan is a former JPL engineer that followed his passion for analog recording reproduction. He is world renowned and a very nice guy...and in SoCal. He'll take good care of your turntable needs.

EW

Just to let you know that guy sold my friend a defective table that he "Promised" would work fine. After 3 weeks my friend took it back for a refund and the guy was kinda jerky. I am NOT saying the guy is a bad egg but YMMV.

"Gettin' Into the Grooves"

Great article on turntable optimization in the current issue of Mix (March 2006).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

OK....

After much reading I think I am gonna keep the V15 type 5 and just get a VN5MR replacment. I found them for like a C note

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    OK....

After much reading I think I am gonna keep the V15 type 5 and just get a VN5MR replacment. I found them for like a C note
    Hang onto that Shure, They stopped making them last year because the beryllium used in the shanks became too hard to get. They pledged 5 more years of needles unless they can get more Be.

I bought mine from MD music in Chi-Town last march and now they are all gone. I will get a spare needle next year JIC.

I really like the Shure, it tracks wonderfully and provides a great amount of detail. The response is really good.

Thread Information