Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banquox Sound

Thanks for all the feedback. My main goal with these units was just to find out a little bit more about them, specs, etc. I'll stop in at Creative Audio and see if they know anything about them, always a cool place to check out.

Banquox Box

Hi
    I agree with Widget the tweeter is a Phillips, and the bass & mid are KEF, what a kick in the bolluox.
    Regards
    Michael

Quality?

Forgive my ignorance, although I can appreciate the technical specs, I'm not too much of an audiophile. I've only heard of KEF before, and I would regard them to be good. It may be hard to tell from the pictures, but each component has it's own chamber, and there is an ample amount of insulation (cotton?) for dampening. Oh, and these speakers are solid and quite heavy for their size.

Most places selling audio equipment usually only push specs like wattage (total power more than RMS). These KEF components are only 50watts, and I am mating them to a Yamaha amp with 110watts. I don't plan on ever cranking this system up, but I like to have the extra power to available to drive these units so that I can avoid distortion when the volume is turned up. Make sense?

Should I be concerned about the low wattage on these units? Would you consider these speakers to be of good quality?

Thanks in advance,

Rger

henry.kreindler
    Hi Roger. My name is Henry Kreindler - former owner of Banquox Sound.
    I am the person who designed and built these speakers- probably around 1974. Sorry to take so long to reply. I have not been on the forum for a long time.
    The speakers you have were identified by the previous members. Yes, they are KEF B200 woofer, KEF B110 mid and Phillips AD0162 tweeter. Good going guys. This system is avery rare Banquox system. I think I only built half a dozen pairs - or less. I do not remember the crossover network details, but I think they are 6db/octave - crossed over at 800hz and 4khz. (i'm not absolutely sure of that). There may have been a KEF T27 tweeter originally, but I replaced it with the Phillips tweeter for better power handling. The system should be able to handle the Yamaha power amp - as long as the amp is not driven into clipping. If you need to get hold of me directly, my email address is [email protected].
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Well from what you describe that sounds like 1 of my 2 pairs of Banquox cabinets. I Also have 2 pairs of cabinets that contained Altec 811+511 horns.
    pix ......Name:  DSC00082.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  110.3 KBonly took ten years to figure how to uploadName:  IMG_0118.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  276.7 KB....the two 1x15's appear to have started out life as a 2x15,similar to the other one only 18" deep instead of 15"..one is a peavey black widow and the other is an ancient marsland ,probably rescued from an old kustom...the 2x15 has 2 k140's and i found it for 200 bux.....they may even be two of the 4 k140's i sold to banquox decades ago,when my motorcycle was sick and needed parts....

Thread Information