PDA

View Full Version : JBL center speaker

Inspector34
03-18-2006, 11:57 PM
How much of a difference is there between the SVA center and the HLS center. The HLS center's show up frequently on Ebay and are VERY cheap.

johnaec
03-19-2006, 12:26 AM
The SVA uses substantially better components. The HLS series uses very light-duty, stamped-frame drivers, with very small voice coils, and the actual HF driver has to be the smallest JBL I've ever seen. That said, I haven't heard either of these center channels, so I can't comment about the sound quality.

John

Titanium Dome
03-19-2006, 05:29 AM
They have some similarities in design and sound, and, while you can cook both, the HLS fries up much more quickly and completely.

I have knowledge of at least three SVA tweeters that've burned up from abuse, but many more HLS Centers have cooked one, two, or three drivers and even crossovers when driven too hard.

I know what you're thinking about, Inspector34, because I've had those thoughts, too. An HLS Center will work better with SVA Series speakers than any other center EXCEPT an SVA Center (and the current HT Series HTH4). But it's a superficial partnership that's bound to disappoint over time, especially as the HLS cannot keep up when the power is applied.

Johnaec is spot on to bring up the disparity in driver quality; overall it's just not as robust.