PDA

View Full Version : Need LE5-12 new dome or whole speaker

mbdrums
03-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to either purchase just a dome for a JBL LE5-12 speaker, or do you have to buy the whole reconing kit?

Also...I went on the JBL website and could find no listing for the LE5-12 speaker.
Is there anywhere they can be bought either new or rebuilt? I tried bidding on one on eBay, but lost the bid. Does JBL still have them in stock or is there a newer one they make that is basically the same with the same screw configuration for the L96 cabinet?

The speaker works fine, it's just that I had the grill off the front of my one L96 speaker (down in my cellar where I teach drums) and one of my students must have pressed in on the dome & dented it.

Many thanks in advance. Hope someone can help.

Mark

Zilch
03-18-2006, 03:59 PM
There's two singles on eBay rignt now.

Any JBL reconer can replace the dome for you.

There's also several ways to "unpooch" them documented in these pages.

See also the "LE5 Matrix" in the Tech Ref forum....

mbdrums
03-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the reply, Zilch!

Well...I checked out the 2 new LE5-12 eBay listings:
The one looks just like mine with the dented dome & the other one looks a little beat.

Actually, I'm sending an LE10H-1 to be refoamed by South Florida Speaker Repair (who did a great job refoaming my other LE10H-1, for pretty cheap), so I guess I'll also just send them the LE5-12 to replace just the dome. Hopefully they won't charge for a whole reconing.

Thanks again for the help, Zilch!

Mark

Thom
09-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't know the driver you speak of or the condition of the dome but many a dome has been straightened using stickey tape (scotch tape, electrical tape, duct tape you get the idea) Don't know if this will work in your application or not.

John
09-18-2006, 01:38 AM
No It will not!!! The dome is made of aluminum and once it is pushed in it will never look the same no matter what you do. I heard they were longer available but maybe someone has some stock or there is a replacement available??? :(