PDA

View Full Version : KLIPSCH. Do I really need to say anymore?

BigBusa
10-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Right here baby:D

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/91152/10.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/91152/11.jpg

Ron K
10-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Are they loaded with JBL drivers? Having built 8 pairs of corner horns using the klipsch design I am very familier with them. regards Ron

Mr. Widget
10-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by BigBusa
Right here baby:D

Can you say EAR PLUGS!:barf:

Guido
10-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Thats not very kind Widget:coolness:

But look at the EQ... :slink:

4313B
10-21-2003, 03:13 PM
They always looked a helluva lot better than they sounded eh?

"Thats not very kind Widget"

Not very kind? Huh? Not very kind is posting Klipschit on a respectable forum! :p

JBL Dog
10-21-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm confused!! Is Klipsch the name of the winning horse in that poster above the TV??

:confused:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
And they will play loud! Thats a fact. Extremely efficient, and jagged midrange!

Although these arent JBL,s they can be gotten to sound pretty good on tube amps!

Now about those EQ,s! Audio Control EQ,s? I see you have the lower bass boosted considerably! Some of the lower frequencies look to boosted almost all the way! This is correct? Considering the efficiency and corner loading of these horns why do you need so much boost! Low end should be pretty hefty without excessive EQ boosting!

However, they do look nice, enjoy em! :cool:

P.S. These speakers, like your altecs were, are too big for that room.

Alex Lancaster
10-21-2003, 03:58 PM
All those folded horns were great when amps were very expensive, like in the 30's, and 80Hz was deep bass; As You know, You need a very long horn for real bass.

As for the unmentionables, 20+ Years ago I was not impressed, and really disappointed when I saw the el-cheapo components.

Alex.

4313B
10-21-2003, 04:06 PM
"really disappointed when I saw the el-cheapo components"

That was a real issue back then. Certain highly esteemed members of the Audio Engineering Society were dead set against building/purchasing transducers of the caliber of JBL, Altec, Bozak or EV. They thought such transducer "overbuilding" was ludicrous, IOW "total overkill".

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Giskard

That was a real issue back then. Certain highly esteemed members of the Audio Engineering Society were dead set against building/purchasing transducers of the caliber of JBL, Altec, Bozak or EV. They thought such transducer "overbuilding" was ludicrous, IOW "total overkill". Evidently so did Klipsch.

Mr. Widget
10-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Guido
Thats not very kind Widget:coolness:

But look at the EQ... :slink:

You're right Guido. What I meant to post was, " Shouldn't this be posted in the Off Topic section?":D :D :D

4313B
10-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Geez, I don't even notice anymore. Even off-topic would be a real stretch :rotfl:

Audiobeer
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
My girlfriend had a very sensitive klipsch.:eek: Are the amps Mcintosh?

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Audiobeer
My girlfriend had a very sensitive klipsch.:eek: Are the amps Mcintosh? :jawdrop:

Audiobeer
10-21-2003, 04:39 PM
My Bad...........:banghead:

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 04:43 PM
My Bad...........:banghead: I just find your post hilarious! never thought of that one myself! If we ever meet, remind me to buy you a drink! :cheers:

Robh3606
10-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Geez give the guy a break!:rotfl:

Those amps look like Dynaco ST 400's with meters. I had a 400 great amp. Why 2???? 600 watts straped into 8 ohms. With those speakers ears :cooked:

Rob :)

Audiobeer
10-21-2003, 05:03 PM
They look good don't they? I have yet to hear any Klipsch from yesteryear. They must be making some money, they recently bought Mondial. I guess that's why all those pallidium Amps are so cheap now. (Since We are off topic) Anyone Ever give the Pallidium Mono Blocks a listen? I'm on the fence as to whether to buy or not?

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Robh3606
Geez give the guy a break!:rotfl:

Those amps look like Dynaco ST 400's with meters. I had a 400 great amp. Why 2???? 600 watts straped into 8 ohms. With those speakers ears :cooked:

Rob :) Two of those amps in mono in such a small room!

Considering he could achieve loud sound with a McIntosh MC-240.

Or a small amp with EL 34 tubes is what those speakers really want!

Alex Lancaster
10-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Giskard

That was a real issue back then. Certain highly esteemed members of the Audio Engineering Society were dead set against building/purchasing transducers of the caliber of JBL, Altec, Bozak or EV. They thought such transducer "overbuilding" was ludicrous, IOW "total overkill".

WOW! THOSE LAST POSTS!

To get slightly on topic, a customer had an old early Telefunken console, He came over and listened to some 4333 copies, a Luxman receiver, Technics TT, etc; He really liked it and said He would buy it only if I fitted it into the old Tele., I thought that was really funny, but He really liked the woodwork, early danish, nice bird's eye veneer, and lots of polyester; Business is B, and He was real happy, You should have seen the speakers, worse than the unmentionables, I wanted the cheesy magnets for my refrigerator door, but the guy insisted on having them packed to keep them, He died about 10 Years ago, wonder what happened to my magnets.

Alex.

JBL Dog
10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Oh, so Klipsch is not the horse in the picture above the TV..... Then what exactly is a Klipsch??

:hmm:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JBL Dog
Oh, so Klipsch is not the horse in the picture above the TV..... Then what exactly is a Klipsch??

:hmm:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band: When the moon covers the sun its an E-Klipsch.

:duck:

Alex Lancaster
10-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Isnīt it a beer brand?

scott fitlin
10-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Klipsch Lite = Less Filling, Same Great Taste!

boputnam
10-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by BigBusa
Right here baby:D You gonna part those out...? Might be some money in it, and then get some JBL's...

Alex Lancaster
10-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Bo:

I don't think You'd get much for the components, they are not JBL.

Alex.

GordonW
10-22-2003, 09:26 AM
They look good don't they? I have yet to hear any Klipsch from yesteryear. They must be making some money, they recently bought Mondial. I guess that's why all those pallidium Amps are so cheap now. (Since We are off topic) Anyone Ever give the Pallidium Mono Blocks a listen? I'm on the fence as to whether to buy or not?

Having been up-close-and-personal with the 8008BB for lengthy periods, I'd say the Palladiums (being mono-block versions of the same design) would deserve a big thumbs-up. Great control, AWESOME bottom end.

My one-sentence description of the sound of the Aragon amps in general, would be "A Krell, but without the etched upper end and the cosmetic doo-dads". Same power supply gusto, a simpler, more mundane looking cabinet structure (that's why they're so much cheaper than Krells- the circuit design is EVERY MUCH as sophisticated as Krell, it's just less expensive to used stamped steel and standard front panels, than 1" thick milled aluminum that doesn't do anything for the sound anyway), but a more livable midrange and top end. Very neutral, very satisfying, will drive virtually anything (1 ohm loads? Pshaw! Call me when you have something challenging! :D ).

Disclaimer: I work for a shop that is technically still an Aragon dealer, even though since the merger, we've not done much stuff (we sold much more Acurus than Aragon, and since that's all gone now... :banghead: ) recently with them...

Regards,
Gordon.

Audiobeer
10-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Glad to hear that GW! What abount warranty issues now that Klipsch bought Mondial. Mondial was fantastic.....you could pick up the phone and talk to the engineers of the amp even. My only concern before pulling the trigger is in a year from now if something goes wrong will Klipsch stand behind it or have parts long after warranty?

GordonW
10-22-2003, 10:07 PM
I have some of the same warranty concerns... truthfully, I haven't seen any "welching" by Klipsch so far, but I've had more trouble getting things addressed, than I used to. First off, you have to call some central clearing-house number for warranty... no more direct-connection with the Mondial engineers. Secondly, everything seems to have to go to California now... and I'm not sure the guys out there have the expertise that the guys in New York used to.

Dunno how it's going to come out... but the one GOOD thing, is that I can count the number of Mondial pieces we had to send back in 7-8 years, on one hand. And one of those was probably a lightning hit. Really reliable stuff...

Regards,
Gordon.

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Gee if the KLIPSCHORNS are so bad why arn,t the JBL HARTSFIELD still in production? And i,m not talking about Hartsfield cloans. I agree the componenents in the KLIPSCH are cheep I always recemend using JBL components for mids & tweets & throwing the cheep drivers in the trash. But the horns are still viable.

Alex Lancaster
10-23-2003, 06:31 AM
Possibly, because for the money it would take JBL to make Hartsfields, they are offering other combinations that are and sound better; the Hartsfilelds have very expensive woodwork, and You end up with less very lows and highs.

I think JBL would not keep on flogging a dead horse, even for the money, to me, mostly, their philosophy has been honesty, repeat, mostly.

Alex.

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 07:19 AM
Very low lows or very high high,s are not realy that importent for good sound reproduction. It shurley wouldnt help Brittny Spears. But the Klipschorns are still in production (over 50 yrs) with all its falts. You cant say that for any JBL system no matter on how high the quality. You probably would spend more on a sports utility truck than support JBL in buying a K2

Alex Lancaster
10-23-2003, 07:35 AM
Well, to each His own, some still think A7īs sound great.

Alex.

Robh3606
10-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Hello Maron

"But the Klipschorns are still in production (over 50 yrs) with all its falts. You cant say that for any JBL system no matter on how high the quality."

That's the point exactly. JBL moves on and constantly improves its products. So of course there are no JBL runs for 50 years. But even their vintage products stand the test of time. As far as the Klipsch horn it was the first and is unique and a classic. It was a real accomplishment and as long as there is demand why not keep it production faults and all, cause frankly, name one speaker that doesn't have them.

Rob :)

4313B
10-23-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
Gee if the KLIPSCHORNS are so bad why arn,t the JBL HARTSFIELD still in production? And i,m not talking about Hartsfield cloans. I agree the componenents in the KLIPSCH are cheep I always recemend using JBL components for mids & tweets & throwing the cheep drivers in the trash. But the horns are still viable.

Very low lows or very high high,s are not realy that importent for good sound reproduction. It shurley wouldnt help Brittny Spears. But the Klipschorns are still in production (over 50 yrs) with all its falts. You cant say that for any JBL system no matter on how high the quality. You probably would spend more on a sports utility truck than support JBL in buying a K2
JBL has never showed a propensity to sit and stagnate on any one loudspeaker design (although one could argue that it sure took them a helluva long time to kill off the 4430/4435! :p). They tend to have an insatiable appetite for R&D and they don't seem to hesitate in applying that R&D. The K2-S9800 is simply light years ahead of the Hartsfield. (I think it would be great to get a panel of experienced listeners together that know virtually nothing about either system, to give both systems an A/B to confirm the claim :))

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Any one that comes to me stateing they like the A-7 I send to an audio oligest Then to a nut doctor. All Im saying is the KLIPSCHORN is not ALL that bad just change some of its components. You need not listen for humming bird wings or low rumble of a bowling ball. NOW lets get on to the poor quality of the TANNOY WESTMINISER horn system.

4313B
10-23-2003, 07:56 AM
"NOW lets get on to the poor quality of the TANNOY WESTMINISER horn system."

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I love the Tannoy Westminster!!!

4313B
10-23-2003, 08:02 AM
I had to go look up what one was :p
Never seen 'em, never heard 'em, but I love 'em :rotfl: :rockon1: :bash: :bs: :nutz: :thmbsup:

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Dont say love to me about Westminister that gets my eye twitching. Yes we need to study the JBL K2 closer.

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 08:11 AM
That picture of the WESTMINSTER looks like a fancy A-7 with a horn attached to its tail or is it a fancy refrigerater?

4313B
10-23-2003, 08:18 AM
They are big and goofy looking. I think I like the style of the Klipschorn better. So you've actually heard a pair of these Tannoys?

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Yes I heard the WESTMINSTERS in St Louis along time ago. I dont know if id call the unit a horn or a expanding LABYRINTH behind the coax speaker. The one now made for the JAPAN market is a tad larger with a better coax driver.

Maron Horonzakz
10-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Here is another speaker ( Westminster) thats been around for along time. & you dont throw the baby out with the bathwater because your R&D says hey I got a better design!!!! TANNOY has improved on it slightly. Then they reversed themselves on outer surround material (hard edge to foamsurround & back to hard edge surround.)

scott fitlin
10-23-2003, 10:47 AM
I happen to love straight front loaded horns! Of course I use these in a commercial application, in a very big room. But I love them. Yes I do mean Altec front loaded horns!

But I dont think I really want to listen to these at home.

:cool:

Mr. Widget
10-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Robh3606
As far as the Klipsch horn it was the first and is unique and a classic. It was a real accomplishment and as long as there is demand why not keep it production faults and all, cause frankly, name one speaker that doesn't have them.

Rob :) [/B]

Very well put! I am sure that there are those in the audiophile world at the upper echelon where they actually do spend $25K and up on speakers that feel exactly about the K2 as Maron feels about the A-7.

Every speaker has it's pros and cons, and beyond that we bring our own hearing anomalies and bias to the table.

I think it would be a kick to have a speaker museum where you could compare the classic Altecs, Tannoys, Klipschs, ARs, .... and of course JBLs. Actually there was and may still be a small museum of horn speakers at the original Klipsch factory in Hope Arkansas.

GordonW
10-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Haven't had a set of Westminsters in the shop, but I have heard the Churchills. And the Definition series. And the Dimension series. And the Saturns, the new Sensys Dual Concentrics, etc...

I'll say this: for all it's purported "faults" (usually cited by people who have either never heard it, or only once or twice for short times, funny how that goes? :p ), if I had to pick ONE speaker system to take with me to a desert isle, the Churchill Wideband would be on a VERY short list I'd be picking from. IME, it has every bit the visceral "slam" and speed of a JBL big monitor, but without the edginess, and with image focus NO JBL big monitor has ever been able to give me, at least in any room smaller than a banquet hall. In fact, I can't say for sure, that ANY multi-driver system can do what those dual-concentrics can, when set up right, as far as focus and coherency go, IMHO... there's something to be said, for the closest thing to a true POINT SOURCE that most people are ever going to hear.

Not bad, for a system that truly approaches 20 Hz bass extension on the bottom end, and is still nearly 100 dB sensitivity... :rockon2: It's heartening to see that at least SOMEBODY is bucking the "smaller is better" politically-correct trends, IN PRODUCTION MODELS FOR HOME USE, these days...

Regards,
Gordon.

scott fitlin
10-24-2003, 09:30 AM
The coherency and imaging of point source sound is what the dual concentrics and coaxial speakers systems are all about.

I have found, using Altec 604,s that getting these speakers to do what they are capable of, can be tricky! In my experience, some of these speakers are quite amp sensitive, and need a proper room, and placement to allow them to perfom their magic.

But, its worth it, as they can make amazing sound!

Robh3606
10-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Hello Scott

I would have to agree that they can be really something when set-up. They offer a very coherent and natural presentaion, especially on vocals. Voice sound so natural through them it can be startling at times.

Rob:)