PDA

View Full Version : the dumbing down of audio

MJC
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I found this editorial on the current state of many speakers, mp3, ipod.
I couldn't have said it any better.
We have two extremes of audio; DVD-audio, SACD and then there is ipod and mp3. But does the general public embrace DAD-audio, Nooooo. But they will jump on the ipod wagon and listen with cube speakers.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/DumbingDownAudio.php

scott fitlin
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
In a nutshell, "WE" the consumer public, are our own worst enemy! We love the convenience items, shop them to death, and fully accept the tradeoffs. Which, in this case is low quality music on low quality recordings in trade for tons of easy to use, low cost downloads, and CD,s and 99 cent store "Toaster Oven" quality CD, and Ipod players and XM radio recievers. And itsy bitsy, teeny weenie speakers that are heard yet not seen.

Years ago, manufacturers strived to make better products, and we strived to make more money so we could afford better products.

If "WE" didnt buy the crap so many manufacturers put out as Top Shelf, Innovative New Technology, and demanded higher quality, they would have to respond by making better goods.

But, unfortunately, "WE" DO buy the convenience crap marketed to us, and we buy it in the hundreds of millions of dollars worth, every year, year in, and year out.

briang
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
The longer I live, the more I'm convinced I don't fit the "average consumer" demographic.

norealtalent
03-15-2006, 07:43 PM
The longer I live, the more I'm convinced I don't fit the "average consumer" demographic.

The longer I live,the more I am convinced that the average intelligence of humanity is easilly dwarfed by that of a box of rocks. I stopped at a little deli for lunch today. They had some country music channel on the tv. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE country music, most any MUSIC for that matter. I don't care too much for singers, excepting Norah Jones, of course. Any way, to the point, 4 different videos from 4 different artists played while I ate lunch. EVERYONE of them sounded the same. I wanted to puke. It was like they were intentionally immitating each other but none of them had any quality to immitate! We're doomed.:blink:

rgrjit8
03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
I enjoyed the spirit of that article but I had to stop reading when he attacked 18 inch woofers as mere novelty items. Then there was this on foam surrounds:
"Today foam is reserved soley as a cheap substitute used only in low-end speakers where price range is most critical."

I guess this guy wouldn't think much of the 2245.

House de Kris
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
He also implies that controlled dispersion in PA systems is a bad thing. And, states that he sat 30 feet from the speakers at a Yes concert and can't figure out why it was so loud.

QwertyAccess
03-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Haha i would know personally how bad the audio level has been dumbed over the years, I'm fifteen and grew up in the age of bad audio, needless to say, I grew up thinking there was no way that audio could be any better other then them to get louder, and shake the house more.

It's saddening for me to watch my friends at school listen to their ipod at full volume, pumping out over 100dB in their eardrums of crappy sound, Its one thing to have crappy recordings, but another to have equally crappier headphones or speakers. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, i cannot tell the difference between a lossless recording and a 192-320kbps mp3, maybe the speaker setup i have isnt good enough or something? But in any case its a big improvement from a pair of 50$ pc speakers from altec lansing (wow those guys actually made quality stuff at one point...)

My setup is a denon receiver with bose acoustimass 5 (yes they blow, i didnt buy em) and a pair of L77's with the HF not working (no idea why, looks fine tho), Hoping to find a nice pair of L100 or something similar (aiming for anything JBL vintage with atleast 10 inch woofer, without passive radiator) though someday, but i can only afford to drop down around 200$ for speakers..

louped garouv
03-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, i cannot tell the difference between a lossless recording and a 192-320kbps mp3, maybe the speaker setup i have isnt good enough or something?

don't feel bad about that....
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89835&postcount=8

altec lansing (wow those guys actually made quality stuff at one point...)

how sad...... :(

but i can only afford to drop down around 200$ for speakers..

try to hit some garage sales, goodwill types stores, and craigslist in your hometown.... you would be suprised what will show up sometimes....

a guy i have been posting with on another board just scored a DJ mixer for under $20 that someone else on that particular board is trying to sell right now on ebay for $500..... just keep your eyes peeled

good luck!

QwertyAccess
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
haha true, maybe i'll be lucky sometime, i'd have a pretty L100 right now if my dad's friend didnt end up selling it in a garage sell for 20$ while back -__- it was supposed to be like perfect condition too.

By the time the music comes out of my speakers its been equalized to my likings, so it might have hid the effects of compressed recordings, but yeah im a bit glad i cant tell between lossless, so everything sounds good to me.

MJC
03-17-2006, 09:44 PM
He also implies that controlled dispersion in PA systems is a bad thing. And, states that he sat 30 feet from the speakers at a Yes concert and can't figure out why it was so loud.
I didn't say he got it all right. But the truth is the masses would rather spend their money on cheap shit, than on a DVD-audio/SACD player and discs, and good quality speakers.
I don't know about large cities, like LA or NY, maybe there are plenty of DVD-audio discs available there. But around here there is next to nothing. So I take it that they don't sell, because if they did the stores would replentish their stock. The local BB had a desent selection about 1 1/2 years ago and then went down hill with only the discs they couldn't sell, and then none at all. Have to buy online now.
Thirty years ago there were REAL hifi shops, selling really good speakers and gear, and now we have BB, CC and the like selling crap.

Ducatista47
03-19-2006, 10:19 AM
... So I take it that they don't sell, because if they did the stores would replentish their stock. The local BB had a desent selection about 1 1/2 years ago and then went down hill with only the discs they couldn't sell, and then none at all. Have to buy online now.

The word I heard - I was not there - from the CES was that the nail is in the coffin of SACD, and the body of DVD-A was feeling pretty cool to the touch.

Darn, my new Denon DVD player does both and I have a great system to play them back now. I don't own a single one.:(

Clark in Peoria

briang
03-19-2006, 10:27 AM
The word I heard - I was not there - from the CES was that the nail is in the coffin of SACD, and the body of DVD-A was feeling pretty cool to the touch.

Darn, my new Denon DVD player does both and I have a great system to play them back now. I don't own a single one.:(

Clark in Peoria

Everything I like dies in the marketplace.:banghead:

Uncle Paul
03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Everything I like dies in the marketplace.:banghead:

Yup - if nobody buys 'em they'll stop making them.

I don't know when, if ever, the focus of audio in the general marketplace will swing from convenience back to quality.

jim campbell
03-19-2006, 04:14 PM
my daddy used to say "dont buy that cheap stuff",and launch into a tirade about the quality items that were designed ,with care to last a lifetime.i dont know when we hit the tipping point but around 1980 a local harley dealer showed me an improved release bearing which usually had to be replaced annually as opposed to the one in my bike that was original equipment1955 and designed in 1940.the just throw it away and get a new one ethic has now crept into everything and music and its reproduction is no exception.i suspect that most members of this forum grew up in a time when most fathers told their sons to buy a good one and look after it.hopefully a cottage industry catereing to dinosaurs like us will thrive to provide us with the music and replacement parts we crave but in the mean time we must look after our priceless vinyl,jbls etc

Rusnzha
03-19-2006, 10:47 PM
http://www.amusicdirect.com/

This place has a real selection, over 1700 SACDs and 300 DVD-As.

Forget Best Buy, the selection is drying up.

jim campbell
03-21-2006, 06:48 AM
i wonder if the other half of dylans catalog will find its way to sacd any time soon.