PDA

View Full Version : Help...Can anyone identify these speakers

SUPERBEE
03-14-2006, 01:10 PM
There is no name on them

http://a.im.craigslist.org/1R/vG/8dvBVHzghlJUSYrUKBjwPy80GJiv.jpg

oznob
03-14-2006, 01:15 PM
What brand is the receiver? It looks to be about the same vintage as the speakers. In those days, some companies sold receivers and speakers as a set. They kind of look like an old Realistic set my folks had years ago.

oznob
03-14-2006, 01:18 PM
I forgot to ask, are the grills removable? That and looking at the connections on the back may help. They may be Advents?

SUPERBEE
03-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I forgot to ask, are the grills removable? That and looking at the connections on the back may help. They may be Advents?

Thanx OZ

The receiver is Pioneer from the mid 70s. The speakers dont have any marking at all but I havent pulled one of the grilles off yet. I guess I am going to drive up to Norht County and look at em. I wondered if they were Dynos?

GordonW
03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
The grille style (with the black recessed area between the grille and the "frame" of the box) makes me think they are either KLH Model 22s, or maybe Criterions of some sort. Looks like the "classic" 8" 2-way Criterion.

If it's the KLH, it's a VERY GOOD little speaker. The Criterions are, IMHO, completely forgettable.

Regards,
Gordon.

SUPERBEE
03-14-2006, 06:13 PM
They turned out to be Harmon Kardon HK 40s. It all sounded great there. I fiddled around with everything for like a half an hour and everything worked perfect. I get it home and clean it all up, Go to fire it up and NOTHING. Its just making a clicking noise inside the receiver.

I just cant win.:banghead:

Titanium Dome
03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
If the Pioneer has this, did you inadvertently disconnect something like the pre out/main in link or maybe hit a switch that separates the amp from the tuner/pre amp?

I've done this a couple of times, and it took me days to figure it out. :banghead:

I've also put the speaker wires on incorrectly and wondered why nothing worked, or I've had the Tape Monitor engaged or the Mute button on or some such thing.

I hope it's something like this. You'll feel stupid, but relieved. I know I do. :o:

SUPERBEE
03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
If the Pioneer has this, did you inadvertently disconnect something like the pre out/main in link or maybe hit a switch that separates the amp from the tuner/pre amp?

I've done this a couple of times, and it took me days to figure it out. :banghead:

I've also put the speaker wires on incorrectly and wondered why nothing worked, or I've had the Tape Monitor engaged or the Mute button on or some such thing.

I hope it's something like this. You'll feel stupid, but relieved. I know I do. :o:

TD

I guess one of the speaker leads was in contact with something to make it clip. I re-wired everything up an BINGO, We got sound. I am still helping my friend put together a little system. That is why I am going thru all this.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN1575.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN1582.JPG