PDA

View Full Version : How. Do you care for your speaker Cabinets?

jerryjg
03-14-2006, 12:33 AM
how do you care for you speaker cabinets?many new ones Like MDF and vennered particle board require just a rubdown with furniture polish, but the older solid wood cabinets ..how do uyou care for them? I have had recent sucsess simply washing the wood with a damp cloth and a bit of mild soap/detergent, than a rinse with a damp cloth with water.Then I very lightly oil the wood with pure LEMON oil. Dont ask me where to get it,beacuse I only have one bottle. Albertsons used to stock it. It amazingly brings out the grain in the wood, but it remains a bit
oily unless you wipe it down real well. its different than some of the other oils i have tried, like neatsfoot oil, or the prepackaged leather care products.

majick47
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Jerry JBL recommended useing a mixture of three parts boiled linseed oil and one part pure gum turpentine, applying a liberal amount of the mixture over the entire finished surface of the enclosure. In fifteen minutes wipe off the remaining oil with a clean, dry cloth going with the grain. I have used the JBL oil formula on my walnut cabinets with excellent results. The oil can also be used on rosewood and teak finishes. I would avoid useing furniture polishes etc.

edgewound
03-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Watco Danish Oil is very good

SUPERBEE
03-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Howards Feed N Wax

http://www.howardproducts.com/images/feednwax2003.jpg

I also like their Restore A Finish

norealtalent
03-15-2006, 07:09 AM
To each his own of course. I personally would not use anything with wax, including sprayons like Pledge. Wax clogs the pores of the wood and prevents it from breathing which can cause a number of different problems with the finish. I use strictly lemon oil. The guy who turned me on to JBL swears they sound better when kept well oiled. He also smokes alot of that good green, but then, who am I to argue?:dont-know Lemon oil makes a great room freshener too. :bouncy:

hjames
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Castrol 20w50 - I love the scent in the morning ...:applaud:

briang
03-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Castrol 20w50 - I love the scent in the morning ...:applaud:Synthetic or Conventional? Those PAOs keep my bearings happy...;)

oznob
03-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Howards Feed N Wax

http://www.howardproducts.com/images/feednwax2003.jpg

I also like their Restore A Finish

What SUPERBEE said, I use them all time, they work great!!!

toddalin
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Totally carefree painted finishes! Occasional dusting on the tops.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/speaker1.jpg

Storm
07-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I just used Howard Feed and Wax on my ALTEC 846 U - natural birch - speakers.

WOW!

I think it helped that the previous owner sanded them, because this stuff just sank in and - INCREDIBLE ! - what a GLOW!

I went to Home depot to get this stuff on the advice of this thread.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

And to think I was going to sand them and re-stain them...what in the world was I thinking!

Glad I was able to bring out the ORIGINAL finish.

Thanks again!

:applaud:

Will post picture soon, both before and after.

Anthony L100
07-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Synthetic or Conventional? Those PAOs keep my bearings happy...;)

Synthetic / Castor hybrid, for faster, tighter bass;) ;) ;)

Storm
07-28-2006, 05:19 PM
:)

Take a look at what Howards Feed and Wax did to restore my Altec 846U Birch speakers.

I went back to the store to get two more bottles so I can have them on hand. Last time I went, they were sold out - guess everyone found out how good this product is!

I am so happy with the result. I was going to stain, but this way it restores the natural finish.

What do you guys think of my Altecs?

Does anyone else on this forum have a pair of 846's in Birch?

I just love how these speakers look in Birch. Don't get me wrong, the walnut version is nice, but the Birch just looks 10x's better - IMHO.

Well, without further ado...the stars of this post -

:applaud:

JBL 4645
07-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Furniture polish is what I use and bit of elbow grease, a good ole wipe around the topsides and front.
Dust is a bitch! :banghead: