PDA

View Full Version : Grilling an L19

Scooter
03-11-2006, 05:03 AM
I would like to replace the worn brown grill cloth on my L19s with some black cloth, but I first need to seek some advise on how to cut the cloth to get neat corners. Tests so far with scrap are less than professional looking--still have those little folds of fabric on the ends of the corners. Grrr! Any suggestions, directions or advice would be very much appreciated.

Scott

majick47
03-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Scooter if you do a search Steve Gonzales and at least one other person posted instructions on applying grill cloth to frames. Also since your not going to be recovering the grills with the original brown cloth have you considered Zilchs JBL blue grill cloth? The L19s would look terrific in JBL blue for not a lot of money, probably one yard would do it.

Zilch
03-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi, Scott.

Gotta stretch to get the corners neat:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7941

Scooter
03-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Yeah, I need to work on stretching the fabric. It's the black material from Parts Express. Not the best. Not really black either, more of a dark chicory brown. Think I will look for better material and be persistent in my frustration. I think too that a black grill compliments the wood better and contrasts the metal JBL logos, but thank you for the suggestion. Does anyone know if the glue that comes in a spray can gets tacky right away?

Thanks much,

Scott

Baron030
03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi, Scott

After reading several threads involving repairing grills, I am surprised that no one has suggested any tools for making this job any easier. Art supply stores will usually carry a tool called, “Canvas Stretching Pliers”. They really are ideally suited for stretching just about any fabric.
And with jaws about 2 1/2 inches wide the job is a lot faster too.
Baron030

Scooter
03-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Hmmm, tools. Interesting concept. Think how much longer we might have had to wait for that suggestion had you not brought it to our attention. Great idea. I'll check it out next opportunity.

Scott

majick47
03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Scooter I have used the 3M spray and it is tacky right away, just be careful with overspray. I used it to attach insulation to the insides of speaker cabinets.