PDA

View Full Version : 2231As - whats wrong here?

Fangio
03-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Someone offered me a pair of these, looking both the same, for 300. OMG :banghead:

He says they could be refoamed correctly, but my guess is they were reconed just wrong, and need another reconing. They look kind of 'hybrid 2231/2225 frankenwoofers', and applying new foam surrounds to those would offer a good chance of damaging the cones final during this dubious attempt. And who knows if the cones/spiders etc. are really 2231.. your thoughts please, are they to rescue? And what's their actual worth in current condition?

I'm thinking about offering max. 150 for the baskets. Thanks for enlightening me.

And oh, maybe its me who is wrong, and some1 could have had a conceivable reason to do that? :blink:

JuniorJBL
03-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Most likely the right cone but Definitely the wrong surround.:(

edgewound
03-09-2006, 09:49 AM
I suppose they could be salvaged, but they have been raped with the wrong surround. The cone assembly looks to be correct, but to be honest I'd just recone them and be done with it. Retro fitting a foam surround back to it will be a little messy for picky types like me, but maybe you could live with it?

Baskets are worth 'bout $50 bucks each US max. It has been discussed here alot lately that while the alnico motors are more romantic, the SFG Ferrite motors are actually better performers, and rarely need a recharge...of course there is the 'correctness' issue with a collectable, but I think alnico baskets are overpriced. I'd rather carry alnico in my guitar amp though;) , mainly because it weights about 10 pounds less.:p

On the other hand....correctness aside....maybe these will work for you for a while....they might sound "okay":o: :dont-know

Oh....your offer sounds reasonable.

Fangio
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I suppose they could be salvaged, but they have been raped with the wrong surround. The cone assembly looks to be correct, but to be honest I'd just recone them and be done with it. Retro fitting a foam surround back to it will be a little messy for picky types like me, but maybe you could live with it? Thank you, edgewound.
You're a reconer, right? And a great one I assume, you would just need the kit for 150$/ea? But I will have to pay for the time also, and removing/replacing wrong surrounds will take the same, or even more time than a standard reconing - correct? So it won't be worth it (for me).

Baskets are worth 'bout $50 bucks each US max. It has been discussed here alot lately that while the alnico motors are more romantic, the SFG Ferrite motors are actually better performers, and rarely need a recharge... of course there is the 'correctness' issue with a collectable, but I think alnico baskets are overpriced. Learned that here too, and agree, especially to the overprized point. Romantic is a great word for alnico magnets :) OTOH there are reasons for me to buy drivers with alnico motors for a project, I'm kind of forced to.. :o: will explain that another time, anyway this is a chance to get them not overpriced. More interesting here: is there such a thing like a '2235A' cone kit for these? Thought there are only 2235H woofers..?

On the other hand....correctness aside....maybe these will work for you for a while....they might sound "okay":o: :dont-know A shift to less deep bass, more mid bass, i'd think. And it could sound okay in a custom application, but not correct and just somehow in a restoration project with given specs..

your offer sounds reasonable. Hope so. He started with 400 and didn't find buyers, I was the only one who discussed the wrong surrounds with the seller.

edgewound
03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you, edgewound.
You're a reconer, right? And a great one I assume, you would just need the kit for 150$/ea? But I will have to pay for the time also, and removing/replacing wrong surrounds will take the same, or even more time than a standard reconing - correct? So it won't be worth it (for me).
Learned that here too, and agree, especially to the overprized point. Romantic is a great word for alnico magnets :) OTOH there are reasons for me to buy drivers with alnico motors for a project, I'm kind of forced to.. :o: will explain that another time. More interesting here: is there such a thing like a '2235A' cone kit for these? Thought there are only 2235H woofers..?
A shift to less deep bass, more mid bass, i'd think. And it could sound okay in a custom application, but not correct and just somehow in a restoration project with given specs..
Hope so. He started with 400 and didn't find buyers, I was the only one who discussed the wrong surrounds with the seller. And now I have an exclusive offer.

Hi Fangio...

The recone kit for the 2231A is C8R2235. The current US price for parts and labor is $174.00ea.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things.

Yeah...I'm a pretty good reconer;) ...Thank you:)
Here's one I did in January 2006. 136A from a pristine pair of L300's. I originally did it for the customer in 1991....he came back;)

Fangio
03-09-2006, 01:47 PM
some1 could have had a conceivable reason to do that? :blink:
Talked to a local reconer now who's familiar with JBL, and he said that isn't that unusual as assumed.

This kind of modification may have been the choice of a customer, who preferred the characteristics of that 'stiffer' surrounds. In fact he has done that himself some times before, on request of customers who valued 'correctness' not as high as a certain and welcomed effect on bass reproduction.

So there is no right/wrong thing but possibly a personal preference is responsible.. maybe that choice was even available from the factory? :hmm:

JuniorJBL
03-09-2006, 01:58 PM
maybe that choice was even available from the factory? :hmm:

:no:

Maybe you would buy a different woofer like a 2225 or "D", "E" series

edgewound
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
So there is no right/wrong thing but possibly a personal preference is responsible.. maybe that choice was even available from the factory? :hmm:

I doubt it...but I guess anything is possible. The only other 15" with a cloth surround from that era would have been the LE15B/2216 in the L200, and those kits aren't interchangeable with 136A, 2231 et.al. etc.

GordonW
03-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Looks like it could possibly be a K140 or 2205A kit. Of those two, I'd bet K140, due to the "triple roll" fabric surround. IIRC, 2205s had something more like an "M-roll" edge, with only two "rolls"...

Though, even those, would have had the surround glued to the BACK of the cone, IIRC...

Regards,
Gordon.