PDA

View Full Version : 120ti questions

oznob
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5877677780&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I saw these on ebay and they are close to home. My questions are;
1. Do the woofers look like the originals? I know it's a poor picture.
2. Aren't the 120ti's supposed to be mirror imaged?
I thought if I got them cheap enough, they would make a good garage or shop speaker.

Thanks

leif
03-08-2006, 11:42 PM
They are supposed to be image pairs, yes.
The wooferes? I dont know. It looks like the woofers are not originals.
Or may be they are, but are refoamed with some other kind of foam?
The pictures do not match that well, do they?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1984-ti/page05.jpg

JuniorJBL
03-09-2006, 12:31 AM
No they do not look like the correct woofers..... But this would be a great opertunity to get a pair of 044Ti's and a pair of 104H's for a L250 upgrade.

;)

oznob
03-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys, that kind of confirms my suspicions. I may ask the seller if I can check them out in person. They look pretty rough and looking at the address, I don't think that's the best area of Sacramento?

Titanium Dome
03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey, relax everyone, it's a rhetorical question.

He wants check or MO. Hmm. :hmm:

They're obviously not a pair and one of them looks like it belonged to a cat. Hmm. :hmm:

The woofers are wrong, so they'd need to be made right if you keep them. Hmm. :hmm:

If you're going to harvest the good parts, then it doesn't matter too much, unless some of the original drivers don't work. Hmm. :hmm:

The dark, smokey looking marks on the fronts are disconcerting. Hmm. :hmm:

oznob, you're really in the best position to check them out. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole unless I could hear them before buying and pay cash at the time I picked them up.

In top condition, they can be good speakers, but even then, they are older, middle of the line speakers. (It was, however, a great line to be in the middle of. ;) ) The 104H and 044Ti drivers are the main value there IMO, IF they are functional and not on their last, wobbly legs.

edgewound
03-09-2006, 10:08 AM
They're worth 100 bucks max. From the limited eBay pics, it looks like some "expert"...I'm being nice;) ...decided he'd "fix" that foam rot problem and stick some aftermarket 2213 wannabe's without aquaplas in the 128H-1 baskets :biting: :banghead: . Recones will cost about $364/pair plus tax.

A caveat with 044ti tweeters....diaphragms currently NLA. I think the Ti series are awesome speakers with beautiful Teakwood enclosures. These babies were not cheap when new, and really the last of the the great home speakers finished in real wood.

Maybe they could be resurrected with some TLC as long as the tweeters are good. Even though they aren't matched, could be a decent buy for the handy.

4313B
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
He wants check or MO. Hmm. :hmm:He's probably 8 years old. Nobody in their right mind posts their real name and address on eBay.

I think the Ti series are awesome speakers with beautiful Teakwood enclosures. These babies were not cheap when new, and really the last of the the great home speakers finished in real wood.That is the internal consensus as well (excluding the Statement Systems).

mike
03-09-2006, 03:51 PM
I think that a lot of 120Ti's got mixed up by dealers; some customers got two left speakers, some got two right speakers. I've seen a lot of 4312A's like this as well.
Nicer 120Ti's seem to pop up about once or twice a year on Ebay and they usually sell pretty cheap.
Personally I don't think that they were a middle of the line speaker, but rather a top of the line 12" 3 way bookshelf speaker.

Mike

oznob
03-09-2006, 05:20 PM
With the bids all ready at around $240, I'm not even going to bother. Hopefully somebody won't get stuck paying over $500 for these! It looks like "A PIG IN A POKE" to me.:no:

Titanium Dome
03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
(snip

In top condition, they can be good speakers, but even then, they are older, middle of the line speakers. (It was, however, a great line to be in the middle of. ;) ) (snip)

(snip)
Personally I don't think that they were a middle of the line speaker, but rather a top of the line 12" 3 way bookshelf speaker.

Mike

Given the following order

18Ti
120Ti
240Ti
250Ti

I was kind to call them middle of the line since they're really in the bottom half, :p but as my parenthetical statement implies, it was a darn good line to be in. I wasn't indicating that they were in the middle of the 12" pack or even in the middle of all the other speakers around at the time, only that they were in the middle of the Ti Series.

Titanium Dome
03-09-2006, 07:26 PM
With the bids all ready at around $240, I'm not even going to bother. Hopefully somebody won't get stuck paying over $500 for these! It looks like "A PIG IN A POKE" to me.:no:

Yes, it's too much too early, and given the condition I wouldn't have much hope for the mids and tweeters.

oznob
03-09-2006, 09:00 PM
He's got other audio stuff for sale including a pair of D130's. One looks original, the other was certainly reconed. I'm not sure what it was reconed with but I know it's not correct! In Police Work, we call that a clue! I'm staying far away from this guy!:bs:

Michael Smith
03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
What about flying the 4430s' in the garage,now that's what I'd call a serious start to the garage system......
Then start looking for 4435s', the up selling of this may be difficult;but on the positive side ''there's more room for doilies sweetheart"
Be brave it's easy for me I'm a pond away
Regards
Michael
ps the 120tis' look like shitters!

Zilch
03-10-2006, 01:08 AM
THAT's what that stain is.... :p

edgewound
03-10-2006, 09:49 AM
He's got other audio stuff for sale including a pair of D130's. One looks original, the other was certainly reconed. I'm not sure what it was reconed with but I know it's not correct! In Police Work, we call that a clue! I'm staying far away from this guy!:bs:

His D130's both look to have been reconed at some point with E130 kits. One speaker has been painted black around the cone.