PDA

View Full Version : Refoaming prices on rise?

Titanium Dome
03-08-2006, 11:48 AM
This may not belong here since JBL officially does not recommend refoaming as opposed to reconing. Please move it to the correct location if need be.

I took a pair of 2214H woofers to Don Ramon's in Los Angeles for new foam surrounds. I checked the Web site before I went, and also emailed to confrim the price of $30 each.

When I got there, I was quoted $45 each. Fortunately, I had a copy of the email, and a quick, on site check of the Web site confirmed the $30 price there, even though their new in-shop manual now quoted $45.

I got it for $30 each, but may be the last one to get that price. I also noticed they had copies of the price lists for other reconer/refoamer shops in the area, including Orange County Speaker, and it looked like eveyone's prices were as high or higher.

edgewound
03-08-2006, 01:02 PM
I actually charge a little more than that...price is dependant on the woofer size for generics, and higher for premiums like JBL. It takes time, skill and patience to do the job right...and foam prices are increasing with the price of oil. If a recone runs close to $200.00 or even higher you can bet the refoam prices will be more expensive on that driver too...if you want premium work done, and done well with the right surround.

I think you'd agree that SoCal is not an inexpensive place to live and do business.

briang
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Here is my theory:

Foam is a petroleum based product. The cost of the raw materials, the manufacturing and the transportation of the materials and finished goods are thus higher...the market is begining to see the effects now...:)

Titanium Dome
03-08-2006, 05:38 PM
I felt $30 was an excellent deal, which is why I confirmed it by email. Basically, they hadn't updated their Web site for a long time. I think they'll update soon.

Edgewound have you ever been to Don Ramon's shop? They've got to give a guy some kind of price break to get him to go into the area. It's pretty tight around there. I always make sure I've got my qui es mas macho posture when I get out of the car, and that loco look on my face.

The shop is a real clutter, but it kinda looks and smells right for an old speaker/hi-fi/pro shop. They do nice work, too, usually on the correct side of the cone. (I usually mention that for confirmation. ;) )

BTW, $60 for the pair means I've got $420 into those XPL200s now. If I can keep it under $500, I'll be stoked. I've still got to do something about the 095Ti diaphragm and the finish. The 095Ti is the only real question mark.

BMWCCA
03-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Are you saying they re-foamed 12" JBLs for $30 each? Including the surround?
With six surrounds and a pair, each, of L150A and L112s sitting here waiting for me to get the time, I find those prices unbelievably cheap for any skilled craftsman. What do these places pay their techs per hour? I think you'd get maybe three spark plugs changed in a BMW for $45!

My own estimate, having never done surrounds before (but having spent two hours searching and reading about it on this site :applaud: ), is that I'll spend at least four hours per surround, maybe slightly less on the PR300s which I plan to start with. I've got about $75 in kits here and about 24 labor hours ahead of me. My math says my time would have to be worth about four-dollars an hour for me to even start saving money on DIY. Did I miss something?

JBL Dog
03-08-2006, 08:13 PM
I paid $50 each for 2114H's five years ago. $30 is WAY below current market value. That will be a break-even proposition at best for the shop. But, if it's advertised, they did the right thing by honoring it.

Titanium Dome
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Yes, they did the right thing, and yes, it's really that cheap.

I've done business there before, including some LE14H-1 refoams. They did nice work.

johnaec
03-09-2006, 07:52 AM
As I recall, the latest time I checked with the local dealer, 12" surrounds were over $60 here.

John

Titanium Dome
03-09-2006, 09:38 AM
As I recall, the latest time I checked with the local dealer, 12" surrounds were over $60 here.

John

I feel lucky. :bouncy:

'Til next time anyway.

edgewound
03-09-2006, 09:53 AM

John

That's about right...for JBL's anyway....give or take...depending on the model.

GordonW
03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
We've been charging $45.00 each for refoaming 122As, 128Hs and 2214s... however, remember that Atlanta is one of the cheapest cost-of-living areas in the country. And, we probably will be going up a bit, soon...

Regards,
Gordon.

BMWCCA
03-09-2006, 11:17 AM
My yet-unasked question could be: "How much do you charge for re-surround on a 128H after I screw it up?" :)

-Phil

Shop labor rate:
$85/hour
$95/hour if you watch
$125/hour if you help

GordonW
03-09-2006, 03:44 PM
My yet-unasked question could be: "How much do you charge for re-surround on a 128H after I screw it up?" :)

-Phil

Shop labor rate:
$85/hour
$95/hour if you watch
$125/hour if you help

And $1000/hr if you need it done before we start. Time travel is expensive, you know...

Regards,
Gordon.

Edwards
03-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I have no affiliation with this place but I have done 5 transactions with the People at Millersound Labs, in Lansdale, PA. I ship the drivers to them, and usually have them back as good as new the following week.
215-412-7700 ask for Bill. Probably quicker for an east coaster!

johnaec
03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
As I recall, the latest time I checked with the local dealer, 12" surrounds were over $60 here.OK - I just got a current email reply from them - they charge $70 for both 8" and 12" resurrounds! But they are also a JBL authorized repair center, and have always done good work for me, (but now I try to do it myself...). Also, they're in Marin County, one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S.

John

Titanium Dome
03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
How much is a recone?

johnaec
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
How much is a recone?'Don't know, though I expect they're at JBL's suggested prices, (no discount...).

John

DavidF
03-09-2006, 10:59 PM
OK - I just got a current email reply from them - they charge $70 for both 8" and 12" resurrounds! But they are also a JBL authorized repair center, and have always done good work for me, (but now I try to do it myself...). Also, they're in Marin County, one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S.

John

Sounds like Charlie and crew down in San Rafael. Not the cheapest and that is fine with me. Seems to me that a proper refoam should not be any less than a recone (on the labor side). Especially if the surrounds are the right fit and installed the way WE like them installed.

DavidF

johnaec
03-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Yep, that's Charlie, and they've always done good work for me.

John

edgewound
03-10-2006, 09:37 AM
And $1000/hr if you need it done before we start. Time travel is expensive, you know...

Regards,
Gordon.

....now that was funny....good one Gordon:applaud: :rotfl:

sunnysal
03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I am having a hard time finding a hsop in weshchester to refoam my L65 jubals. the reconnig association's (or whatever they are really caled) web site map fucntion does not work (only the international directory)...can anyone recommend someone within an hours drive from new rochelle who can do the refoam? phone or email addie please too....thanks? tony

Studiomaster
03-10-2006, 06:22 PM
This may not belong here since JBL officially does not recommend refoaming as opposed to reconing.

They don't? :confused:

When I first e-mailed them regarding my 127Hs that had disintegrated, I was under the impression that I would have to recone, but in their reply they told me that refoaming was an accepted method of restoring speakers of that era. They even bothered to snail-mail me an "official looking" document on their letterhead describing the reasons for foam deterioration and ways of correcting it, etc.

BMWCCA
03-10-2006, 08:28 PM
They even bothered to snail-mail me an "official looking" document on their letterhead describing the reasons for foam deterioration and ways of correcting it, etc.
Still have it?

Titanium Dome
03-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Yeah, I'd love to see that, too.

You might have a collectable there.

Studiomaster
03-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Still have it?

I might have it here somewhere...stay tuned...

juar
03-12-2006, 09:40 AM
I had to pay 250 $ for refoaming 2 of mine 2214
and I had to send them to an other country:( at http://www.audiolab.nl/
I would be thankfull with 45 $ a peace:)
but they did a good job

Titanium Dome
03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
I had to pay 250 $ for refoaming 2 of mine 2214
and I had to send them to an other country:( at http://www.audiolab.nl/
I would be thankfull with 45 $ a peace:)
but they did a good job

Welcome and congratulations on your first post.

That's a lot of money to be sure, but thankfully you got a good repair. You must like those woofers a lot! ;) I don't spend that much on my girlfriend.

At those prices, I might try to do it myself. :hmm:

Now I will not complain about $45 the next time I need this done. I am very glad to get it done for $30 this time. :yes:

juar
03-13-2006, 05:22 AM
Welcome and congratulations on your first post.

That's a lot of money to be sure, but thankfully you got a good repair. You must like those woofers a lot! ;) I don't spend that much on my girlfriend.

At those prices, I might try to do it myself. :hmm:

Now I will not complain about $45 the next time I need this done. I am very glad to get it done for $30 this time. :yes:

thanks, yes I now but they are from a set of studio monitors 4425 witch I inherited
so it was worth it
next time I will try DIY ;)

Titanium Dome
03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
I picked up the 2214H woofers today, Good refoam, the speakers are back to spec, and $60 for the pair out the door.

Don Ramon said the prices on the Web site will be going up, but he's likely to keep it 20% under other SoCal competitors, so we'll see where things settle down.

Happy for now. :yes: