PDA

View Full Version : How about recorded "Live" music

edgewound
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
At Mr. Widget's suggestion, here's a new thread about what great...or even good...live recordings do you particularly like. I commented about quality of "Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr.: The RatPack Live at The Sands" from Sept. 1963. Another live album that I really liked as a teenager, and still do... and so did some 30 million other fans was "Frampton Comes Alive"...still like "Deep Purple Live in Japan", and "Humble Pie, Rockin' the Fillmore"..oh yeah..."Allman Bros Live at the Fillmore East"(I think). Not only is the recording very good on these, but so is the Performances. One more...:) ... Rare Earth Live...the one in the backpack looking cover, two record set. I really like a good mix of the crowd noise when done well....I think it adds to the concert listening experience...like those live at the Sands recordings....adds ambiance...Yeah baby.

Titanium Dome
03-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I expect a little flack on this, but I've always felt Live at Leeds! was a great live album perhaps the GREATEST live rock album ever. Daltry was hot that night, Townsend was on fire, Entwistle was impeccable, and Moon was insane.

I wore one copy out and had to buy another. The remastered 1995 CD with a ton of extra music is even better, giving you a feel for how much of an experience a Who concert really was. No freaking studio limitations here. The studio only put these guys' nuts inside a tight rubber band. Here the rubber band is off.

Here are some reviews that say it better than I.

http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/w/who-liveatleeds2.shtml

http://www.inkblotmagazine.com/rev-archive/Who_Leeds.htm

edgewound
03-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I expect a little flack on this, but I've always felt Live at Leeds! ....

No flak here...I remember my brother bought that one. I'll have to check out the CD....alot of this great stuff is now on DVD too....though some of it is better left to the imagination due to the spotty video/film quality at the time.

Thanks for the tip, TD.:)

hapy._.face
03-07-2006, 05:26 PM
I said it in the other thread- but I'll say it here:
Alison Kraus . Union Station
Stunning. Exceptional.

toddalin
03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
How the West Was Won by Led Zepplin on DVD-Audio got critical acclaim in S&V and lots of it does sound good..., but some not so good.

For the most part I find that recordings of live performances don't measure up to their studio counterparts, and while the concerts can be great and generate a lot of energy, some of this energy is lost when you sit and listen (critically) by yourself.:(

There are of course some exceptions. One song that is good both in the studio and live (and both get lots of air play) is Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. But ya gotta crank it!!!

Hamilton
03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow, you won't get any flack from me on everybody's choices!! Great music!

"Live at Leeds" is probably my all time favorite album, ever. And like you Dome, I wore out one vinyl...had to get another.

Alison Kraus is probably the most "perfectly" performed music I've heard, good luck trying to hear any mistakes.

On the more rebel side of the coin, both Judas Priest "Live" and AC/DC "Live" CDs are monster...if you like the sound of big blasting Marshalls. Both mixes are excellent.

What do you guys recommend for live Pink Floyd?

Thanks.

Titanium Dome
03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
(snip)

What do you guys recommend for live Pink Floyd?

Thanks.

I'm guessing member 4343 would recommend Pulse. I use it all the time when checking out new speakers when I want to know what they've got.

There's some great live work there on two CDs.

I have the Delicate Sound of Thunder LD, and that's a pretty good show, but Pulse is better IMO.

Robh3606
03-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Have you tried the Roger Waters Live double?? That's damn good especially the SACD version.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
03-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I expect a little flack on this, but I've always felt Live at Leeds! was a great live album perhaps the GREATEST live rock album ever. Back in the day I bought the UK import version... it came with all kinds of re-printed memorabilia including their invoice for playing Woodstock.

It is a great performance, but it always sounded really thin in the bottom end to me. Odd how a live show usually has tons of bottom, but so many live albums sound thin. Kind of OT here, but not entirely... one of my favorite live recordings is of the phony band Still Water from the film Almost Famous. Played back at concert levels the live music portions of the movie are surprising. The damn thing sounds like there really is a 70's era band playing in the room. ...and a big room at that!

Widget

norealtalent
03-08-2006, 04:05 AM
Dire Straits, Live Alchemy

Title says it all...:bouncy:

Fangio
03-08-2006, 04:15 AM
I'd like to add Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. A legendary Live Album!:applaud:

whizzer
03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Do you guys remember The Thirteenth Floor Elevators? They were the first group to actually bill themselves as ''psychedelic.'' A live recording of some San Francisco performances by this Texas band became available for the first time, so far as I know--and I thought I had all their stuff (even ''A Bull in the Woods'' which was awful), a couple of years back. The recording is not impressive for the sound quality, which even for the mid-'60's was just so-so, and the idiots who spliced the tapes together boosted the recording level for the applause and cheering in between, which is extremely annoying, but the performances themselves were, well, pretty ''electrifying.'' King Crimson's ''Absent Lovers,'' recorded live in Montreal, in 1984, even though the tracks were laid down 22 years ago, in one of the best recorded live pieces I've ever heard--even with the idiosyncratic vocals. This band plays with a lot more power and punch (Tony Levin's bass playing, in particular, is astounding) than is evident in their studio renditions. Weirdly, though, the song ''Absent Lovers (Neal and Jack and Me),'' is not included in this gem.

Hamilton
03-08-2006, 10:32 AM
It is a great performance, but it always sounded really thin in the bottom end to me. Odd how a live show usually has tons of bottom, but so many live albums sound thin. Kind of OT here, but not entirely...
I have noticed that from when I started buying vinyl in the mid 50s, some would sound great while others sounded like they had already been played a 1000 times. My guess is that it was a bad pressing. I bought Buddy Rich live in the early 70s and it was the worst pressing I've ever heard, and I know the master couldn't have sounded that bad...

Titanium Dome
03-08-2006, 10:35 AM
So, let me get this straight: "Absent Lovers" is absent from Absent Lovers?

"In Bizarro World, that must mean it's really there."

johnaec
03-08-2006, 11:03 AM
The DZIHAN & KAMIEN Orchestra - Live in Vienna. It also includes a bonus CD. Excellent recording!

BTW - don't let "orchestra" confuse you - this is vary avant-gard electric stuff, with limited vocals.

John

moldyoldy
03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I'd like to add Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus. A legendary Live Album!:applaud:

I agree! I played the album almost exclusively for 2 months after it was released, THEN got to see them do it live in KC. Lick for lick, note by note, the live performance matched the recording I already knew by heart, including the Tower of Power horns! Probably one of my most-played recordings, and definitely my favorite concert. Sure do miss the Fat Man.......:cheers:

Rolf
03-10-2006, 12:55 AM
I got two favorites live albums (Cd's). 1) Zappa/Mothers - Roxy & Elsewhere and 2) Mighty Sam McClain - Joy and Paine.

Zappa/Mothers for the humor and fun they had on stage, the "liveness" of the sound, and it is recorded well to. The Mighty one for the extreme good sound that really makes you feel you are in the room he is playing.

Of course the music is very good to. (In my ears)

The Zappa/Mothers album was mostly recorded live Dec. 10, 11 & 12, 1973 at Roxy, Hollywood.

Joy and Paine was recorded live during a tour in Germany at "Moments" in Bremen Oct. 9, and at Town Hall, Detmold Oct. 11 1997.

For those of you not having these albums, GO GET E'M!

jerryjg
03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
mICHAEL tILSON thoMAS S.F symphony, Profkiev Romeo and July.Live recording.1996 DDDwww.classical music .com.

Steve Gonzales
03-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughn, 'Live At The El Mocambo', super set.

Hoerninger
03-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Don't forget
Led Zeppelin "The song remains the saim" (Soundtrack from the film) with long drum and percussion soli (1976)
and
The Electric Prunes "Live in Stockholm (Sweden)" with a good climax in their permormance (1967)

Regards
Peter

jim campbell
03-29-2006, 10:46 AM
try the other led zep live dvd.the difference will amaze you.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-29-2006, 11:27 AM
This is a great thread as is (the other). Could they not be combined and cleaned up if need be?

Lets keep the suggestions rolling in. I just picked up Etta James "Blues To The Bone" CD and its great. Not a bad cut on it and very well recorded.

I also picked up Joss Stones Live DVD "Mind Body And Soul Sessions". I would pass on this unless your a hard core fan. The quality of the performance and recording is so-so. I like the studio cd much better.

Ken

jim campbell
03-29-2006, 01:24 PM
yes,this is a thread that should live;thrive,even.

Hoerninger
03-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Jim,

could you please name the title. I found other titles then "The song ..." aswell and their discographie is not well known to me.

Regards
Peter

hjames
03-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Jim,

could you please name the title. I found other titles then "The song ..." aswell and their discographie is not well known to me.

Regards
Peter

Oznob recommended this in another thread here - I'm not a huge Zep fan but this is a more recent 2 disc DVD and is quite good!

Led Zeppelin (2003)

DVD Features:
Available Audio Tracks: English (DTS), English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (PCM Stereo)
2 DVD Box Set:
DVD 1:
Live at the Royal Albert Hall (1970)
1969 - 3 titles from Danish Television (31 min Stereo)
1969 - "Communication Breakdown" Promo - Paris (9 min Stereo)
1969 - "Dazed And Confused" - Supershow (7 min Stereo)
DVD 2:
1972 - Immigrant Song - Splodge Edit Live (4 min)
1973 - Madison Square Garden - New York (24mn) - 4 titles not included in the film "The Song Remains The Same"
1975 - Earl's Court - London 49 min - 6 titles
1979 - Knebworth - Angleterre 52 min - 7 titles
1970 - NBC interview with the band (mono)
1972 - Rock N' Roll + interviews from Australian Television (4 min Stereo)
1975 - Interview with Robert Plant - BBC Old Grey Whistle (4 min Stereo)
2 clips : "Over The Hills" and "Travelling Riverside Blues" (4 min)

jim campbell
03-29-2006, 05:46 PM
that would be the one!enjoy!!!

Hoerninger
03-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Hello Jim and Hjames,

thank you for the tip.:)
@Jim: I'm still using the LP version of the soundtrack.

Peter

Hoerninger
04-05-2006, 03:53 AM
May I kindly remind of the concert in Madison Square Garden 20.October 2001 which has been broadcasted worldwide.

The elderly Who played at their very best. Their was a good mix of the band and the audience. When they finally played "We wo'nt get fooled again" they were fully appriciated by the audience and the Who showed that they are best on stage.
The Rolling Stones in Madison Square Garden had a professionel perfomance as usual.

Relating the Stones I rememeber a concert in Hannover June 1998. The CD "No Security" - with recordings mainly from Holland I suppose - gives a very good impression of this in my opinion wonderful concert.

JuniorJBL
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Steely Dan
Two aginst Nature LIVE DVD w/DTS
Video is not that great but it does sound good!!:applaud:

hjames
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM
I recently got a DVD of David Sylvian and Robert Fripp: Damage - Live at the Nakano Sunplaza in Japan on 10/26/93. Also features Pat Mastelloto on Drums, Trey Gunn on (Chapman) Grand Stick and Michael Brooks on guitar. Very fine performance - nice DVD as well .... Found it on ebay - doesn't seem to be an American release ...
Of course - The Concert for George DVD is great stuff, as is the Cream Reunion show at the Royal Albert Hall.

JuniorJBL
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
I just got home from a Dave/Don Grusin concert here in Denver and it was very good. I got to talk with Dave for a few moments. It also sounded very good. WOW it was fun to see a Jazz band that I have listened to for many years!!!
Shane:applaud: :applaud:

alskinner
04-14-2006, 09:59 AM
One live album that make my 4344 clones shine is "Last of the Mississippi Jukes", the soundtrack to the documnetary by the same name. Everything from the bass lines to the cymbals fall right in line on the JBLs. Recorded live at the Subway Lounge in Jackson, Mississippi, it's a good sampling of the Delta Blues and the often unrecognized talent from this part of the county. One outstanding track is "Hole in the Wall" by The King Edward Blues Band. If anyone has the time to visit the Subway Lounge or Morgan Freedman's " Ground Zero" in Clarksdale Mississippi it's worth the trip.

AL

peterepete
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
i love LITTLE FEAT "WAITING FOR COLUMBUS" IMHO in the top ten of live albums.i've seen jukes and loved it because of the story and music involved.:applaud::

CONVERGENCE
07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Recorded from a live venue would be more appropriate,

There was this famous opera singer scheduled to perform a concert in a large baseball stadium. The finest PA equipment in the world was installed to reproduce the sound of the artist and the orchestra to the thousands in the audience. It sounded wonderful.

The opera star wanted a recording to be made of this landmark performance, but he insisted that it be made from the signal sent to the PA system. You see he wanted the resulting CD to sound just like the concert! So, the recording engineer mixed the concert over the PA system. He adjusted the tonal quality of the singer's voice for greatest clarity and tuned the subtle balance between the sections of the orchestra and the singer all the while using the PA sound as his guide.
After the concert, the opera star wanted to hear the recording. So the engineer played back the tape (made from the signal sent to the PA system) right back through the PA system. The singer was ecstatic! This is just what he was looking for. It sounded just like the concert! (No surprise here.) Enthusiastic, he asked for a copy of the tape to take home to play for his wife over his expensive home hi-fi system. And her reaction? You guessed it. It sounded terrible. Of course, we realize that everything about the playback systems and environments were different;. different equipment, acoustics, equalization, etc. No one would expect sound mixed over a PA system in a stadium to sound correct over their home hi-fi system!

.................................................. .................................................. .........

Russellc
09-12-2007, 06:36 AM
You guys who are into live music should look a sites like dimeadozen, if it still exists, and other sites where you can down load "Bit Torrents", which are uncompressed files. These collections are from where people actually recorded them with some apparatus they carried on them, (usually poor quality) and much better ones which were from where someone was allowed to plug into the sound board. Zillions of concerts are there, I even found a bit torrent of a Led Zep concert I attended in 1975! These are totally legal to down load, as no copy write exists, and if anyone complains, they pull the torrent. You will also have to download some soft ware to download the torrents. great music available, from Miles Davis to Bruce Springsteen!

Russellc