PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an opinion on Marantz Imperial 5 speakers?

SUPERBEE
03-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I am picking up a set today and I dont know anything about them.

TYIA!

SUPERBEE
03-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Ok......Well, I think I did pretty well. I am going to give them to my loser friend who needed the turntable

Now he needs a good amp/receiver

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN1493.JPG

Mr. Widget
03-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Pull the grilles off... let's see what they've got!

Widget

SUPERBEE
03-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Pull the grilles off... let's see what they've got!

Widget

Widget you cheeky bastard..........I shoulda known

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1112667/DSCN1495.JPG

Whadda think?

Mr. Widget
03-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Those old CTS phenolic tweeters... the mainstay of the affordable loudspeaker... are those butyl rubber surrounds on the woofers? I wonder if they are original... I thought Marantz used foam...hmmm.

I expect the tweeters are still working, but you might want to replace the dented one... they made millions of those things.

So... how do they sound?

Widget

SUPERBEE
03-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Those old CTS phenolic tweeters... the mainstay of the affordable loudspeaker... are those butyl rubber surrounds on the woofers? I wonder if they are original... I thought Marantz used foam...hmmm.

I expect the tweeters are still working, but you might want to replace the dented one... they made millions of those things.

So... how do they sound?

Widget
They sound good, I am not the best judge on the small stuff but everything seems to work, they handle all the power we threw at em, and its very comperable to the Dyno's I had

The cabs were in pretty bad shape but I hit em with Howards Restore A Finsh and then Howards polish and they look brand new

doodlebug
03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
when they hit the streets. Yep, those CTS drivers were everywhere in those days. Pay attention to them, though, because the outside edge of the tweeter cones will separate from the basket.

The woofers did, indeed, have foam surrounds so someone has done a job on them. I'd also suspect the caps in the rather simple crossover network will need to be addressed, too.

Outside of that, they're pretty nice speakers for the era. BTW, Bose made a similar speaker in their private label, Interaudio, that competed with both the Dynacos and Marantz speakers. Used the same drivers as the Marantz. Dyna speakers, of course, used different drivers and still retain a following while the Marantz/Bose stuff have pretty much disppeared into the fog of history.

Cheers,

David