PDA

View Full Version : 4345 Ownership

Ducatista47
03-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Since I am caretaking a pair of the beasts myself, hopefully until death, and I keep reading the comment "So rare," I was curious how many members actually have and use a working pair of 4345's. I am even more curious how many clones - home built units per the construction thread - are in use.

I wonder if most of the alleged one hundred pair produced are lost, destroyed, parted out :banghead: or gone to asian collectors never to return.:( I doubt many are still in studio use, but I may be very mistaken on that score.

This inquiry is strictly my own curiosity, please don't make anything out of it or think I am trying to invade privacy. No salesman will call!:D I am a very curious fellow, just ask my friends!

Clark in Peoria

Ian Mackenzie
03-04-2006, 03:16 PM
I have a nice clone inspired by Bo who has the real deal..heard 'em go...Fab.

There was a pair on Ebay in NZ ages ago..but not seen none since.

Ducatista47
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Thank you for responding, Ian. I imagine your speakers sound as good or better than mine do. While my 2245's and 2122's are new (Subwoof would be a very handy neighbor to have!), the 2421 and 2405 diaphrams are original. At twenty-five years or better they must be a bit tired, but the retail price of the needed pieces and their installation are beyond me at the moment. I can imagine the cabinet construction was an unholy bitch. My factory built unit is constructed like a tank and I'd not look forward to cranking it out in a home wood shop.

I am dying to hear them, but you live a little far for a sojourn up the road. Perhaps you could give me a detailed impression of how their presentation strikes you - what they sound like! If this topic is hopelessly boring for the membership at large, you could PM me if you could find the time. They must shine with your PassLabs powering. I am (today anyway) using a small SET EL84 unit on top and a JBL/UREI 6260 on the 2245's. This setup hits the sweet spot for my ears and taste, but the endless experiment continues - because it is fun!

Any other 4345 home-builts out there?

Clark in Peoria

Ian Mackenzie
03-05-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3068&postcount=7

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=21288&postcount=111
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=15677&postcount=130
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=15845&postcount=144
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=15737&postcount=136
They really hate it when I talk up these systems around here so I don't post much at all these days. And I don't spend much time thinking about what the poor people listen to either.

The Passlabs gear is an excellent marriage for these JBL's

hapy._.face
03-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Ian-

Your descriptions of things audio are usually very good.
I remember when you talked about the project amp- you said it sounded crisp- like snapping chalk. Great image of that sound!
You've had time to let those 45's break in- tell us how they are now with all your updates.

JBLnsince1959
03-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Ian-

tell us how they are now with all your updates.

yes, and how do different caps make a difference also..seems you've done a lot with the crossovers

Ian Mackenzie
03-05-2006, 03:24 PM
My wives you mean...how dare you talk about them in such terms!

They have a way of pampering me and slapping me around like no other.

I propose to build a charge coupled network next..I think I will leave them be then for a while.

The rest is not for public disclosure other than to say they are probably the most unique 4345's on the planet..like the owner:D

Ian Mackenzie
03-05-2006, 04:20 PM
DRG obviously had a "momentary lapse of reason"

The woofers are for me still what makes this a great loudspeaker.(model 2245H)

You can hear similarities on other models like the 4344 but that woofer is something different. The woofer was designed be Greg Timbers who also engineered the 4345.

IMHO it is the most musical woofer that can also hold the title of being a true subwoofer.

Years ago a HiFi magazine voted the 2245H the king of all woofers because of its special qualities. There are other woofers that may play lower but not as high, and then those that play higher but not as low, the 2245 is just right.

On really fine equipment the woofer and indeed the whole system imparts every nuance in such a way that you can not only hear but feel the recording environment.

The transitions between the drivers are completely seemless and this is a testimony to the skill of the designer mention above.

Anyone who owns or has attempted to build a large system would appreciate this virtue.

I might take some pictures internally and post them later on if there is interest.

hapy._.face
03-05-2006, 04:43 PM
...if there is interest.

There is.

JBLnsince1959
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
I might take some pictures internally and post them later on if there is interest.

excuse the pun but.... BIG TIME!!!

Ian Mackenzie
03-05-2006, 07:59 PM
:D Okay,

But I need fresh AA batteries for the wireless mouse, can't run the Coolpix and the mouse at the same time!

Ducatista47
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Ian, thank you for the links. You don't need to answer what has already been written. I apologize for setting off a new fever of inquiries.

At least now you know the membership is not tired of hearing about - ahem - the best JBL's! Yes, I admit to being a little prejudiced there.

Thank you again, Clark in Peoria

Ian Mackenzie
03-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Yes but it is important for new members to know who's and and what's what.

To happyface , they never needed breaking in. I would say that its still all in the mix and setting up you need to work at that. I find even a small difference if 1/3 a db in the adjustment of the L pads to be do or die for my nirvana. Hence I like it flatened from 30hertz -20Khertz within the confines of the room.

The downside with these 4345's is you literally hear even the most subtle changes to the signal path and the smaller the difference the more annoying it can be so I tend to keep the old stable mates the Passlabs Aleph X 100 or Aleph 60 mono blocks handy for when I want to really chill out.

Will post pics soon.

Need to find the house cleaner!

boputnam
03-08-2006, 06:57 PM
At twenty-five years or better they must be a bit tired, but the retail price of the needed pieces and their installation are beyond me at the moment. Maybe not so, Clark.

The diaphragms are available, and the replacement/refurbishing work is not too very hard. There are threads here "refurbishing your compression drivers" (I think...) that speak to it. The difference with new diaphrams seems audible, but I did not measure anything, and not sure one can - it is not frequency response per se, but the sonic/acoustic quality one is judging.

DRG
03-08-2006, 07:18 PM
DRG obviously had a "momentary lapse of reason"I posted in the wrong thread.

Ken Pachkowsky
03-08-2006, 08:41 PM
IMHO it is the most musical woofer that can also hold the title of being a true sub-woofer.

Years ago a HiFi magazine voted the 2245H the king of all woofers because of its special qualities. There are other woofers that may play lower but not as high, and then those that play higher but not as low, the 2245 is just right.

I agree completely. My dual 2235H's sound fantastic but just don't have the extra depth of a single 2245H. I know the charts and specs say a pair of 2235H's closely match the sound characteristics of a single 2245H but having owned 4345's I found a 2245H just better sounding. Were not talking a huge difference, but you can hear it.

I would love to put a pair of 2245's on each side of these.

Ken

Ducatista47
03-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Maybe not so, Clark.

The diaphragms are available, and the replacement/refurbishing work is not too very hard. There are threads here "refurbishing your compression drivers" (I think...) that speak to it. The difference with new diaphrams seems audible, but I did not measure anything, and not sure one can - it is not frequency response per se, but the sonic/acoustic quality one is judging.
Thanks, Bo! Subwoof, I think it was, said he had seen the 2421 diaphrams on eBay for as low as $90. I should look. The retail is over $200 now, and $100 for the slots. Each. I saved the excellent thread on doing surrounds - yours I think? - but I should have searched further. I think it was also your post about what a big dif the new dias made. Then again, some days I'm lucky I can remember my wife's name.

Wow, I'm listening to Sonny Rollins in Japan, Powaii. I think these are the best speakers in the world, no exaggeration. I have never heard this cut sound half this strong before!

I was going to PM you this Bo, but I'll ask for all to see. Tell us just how good your speakers sound... Time to talk up the 4345's. Too many nonbelievers out there, you know. Ian is right as usual. Maybe we can encourage more members to build their own. I don't think they could do as well with other projects, listening experience wise.

Clark in Peoria

Mr. Widget
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
I think it was, said he had seen the 2421 diaphrams on eBay for as low as $90. I should look. The retail is over $200 now....Tread carefully... many eBay bargains are no bargains. If the diaphragm isn't JBL or if it was "lightly used"... I wouldn't pay for the shipping.

I was going to PM you this Bo, but I'll ask for all to see. Tell us just how good your speakers sound... I've heard Bo's bigboys. They are quite possibly the best sounding JBLs I've heard. Of course... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s... :D That was for you Bo.;)

Widget

Ducatista47
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Correct as usual, Mr. Widget. I already have decent sounding used components, and I hate eBay with some depth. I should just get a second job and order the parts from JBL Pro.

Thanks for the advice, Clark in 4345 Land.

Ian Mackenzie
03-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Tread carefully... many eBay bargains are no bargains. If the diaphragm isn't JBL or if it was "lightly used"... I wouldn't pay for the shipping.

I've heard Bo's bigboys. They are quite possibly the best sounding JBLs I've heard. Of course... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s... :D That was for you Bo.;)

Widget

Perhaps you should have also added the new diaphragm warrenty is void unless they are installed by an authorised JBL service centre..

boputnam
03-09-2006, 07:45 AM
... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s... :D Dammit, you little Widget!! :bash:

Ian Mackenzie
03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Tread carefully... many eBay bargains are no bargains. If the diaphragm isn't JBL or if it was "lightly used"... I wouldn't pay for the shipping.

I've heard Bo's bigboys. They are quite possibly the best sounding JBLs I've heard. Of course... the only other JBLs I've ever heard were a pair of L100s... :D That was for you Bo.;)

Widget

Speaking of comparisons:

I "saw" you built a nice pair of 4355 clones a while back with Westlake cloned horns and flogged them off a time later.

Obviously they didn't rate a mention here against Bo's 4345's either!

Hey Bo,

Game over Man, Game Over, the 4345 rules the Lansing Heritage monitor series:D

Ian Mackenzie
03-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Seeing is believing

Mr. Widget
03-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Speaking of comparisons:

I "saw" you built a nice pair of 4355 clones a while back with Westlake cloned horns and flogged them off a time later.

Obviously they didn't rate a mention here against Bo's 4345's either!It isn't quite that simple. I think the 1200Hz and up range was better with the Westy and 2441, but below that the 4345 is definitely better. If you are into outrageous SPLs there is little to compare with the 4350/55... at more modest yet still crazy loud levels I would say that I do prefer the 4345. The 2202 really kicks ass, but it doesn't quite have the finesse of the 2122. My ass kicking days are over... these days I'll take finesse any day.

Widget

Charlie4350
03-09-2006, 10:20 PM
10" more snap on snares.
12" better horns, trombone, baratone sax. Weight, timbre.

Is this what you describe Mr. Widget. Cause this is what I find, but kept the 4350's.

chuck

JBLnsince1959
03-10-2006, 07:44 AM
10" more snap on snares.
12" better horns, trombone baratone sax. Weight, timbre.

chuck

I agree...the 12" sounds best below 700-800, 10" best above 600
( IMHO - no debate please)

I always wanted a custom 4345 using both crossed around 700 or so

boputnam
03-11-2006, 12:48 AM
I was going to PM you this Bo, but I'll ask for all to see. Tell us just how good your speakers sound... I tried to stay out of this, but the thread persists... :o:

Your question is moot. Few get to trial these, so what is the point of a report? Anything said will be perceived as arrogant, and that is not the point. I realize how fortunate I am to have these.

All that can be said is, if they are set-up properly - and I think I did pretty well - they are wonderful. Nothing else comes close (except Widget's latest design which is truly stunner.. :applaud: ).

The 4345's, set-up correctly, are incredibly efficient, astonishingly responsive and very honest (acoustically true). Even playing crappy source material they amaze. They are unlike, and a marked improvement upon, any lesser-sized or peer models. The 4345's are an incredibly clever combination of elements that present music in a most realistic way. It is goofy to single out any one element for praise - the 2245H's are huge, but it doesn't stop there. The realism is persistent from every component.

Every chance I get, I'm parked in front of them. TV dark, just listening. I haven't tweaked their EQ for almost a year. The new 2245H's continue to break in, and just keep adding to the whole.

As I say - the only thing ever to come close -for me - are Widget's most recent, incredible design. They come close - very close. But, I still would not switch. Not yet. I'm far too enamored with what these do. ;)

Ducatista47
03-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Thank you for posting that, Bo. My goal in starting this thread was anything but arrogant. Since so few do get a chance to hear 4345's, I was hoping you, Ian and anyone else who has given them a good listen would report here how wonderful they are, especially on a daily basis.

I notice the high DIY level of the membership and am hoping more members, if so encouraged, would build their own. I don't want to gloat, start a war about what speaker is better or put anything or anyone down. I want more members to have these in their own rooms. I am just a guy in Peoria who likes to listen to music. You, Bo, as well as Ian, Ken, Widget and anyone else who chimes in, unlike myself, carry some weight with those who might hear what you have to say.

While neverending experimentation in design is a lot of fun, I needed you and the other heavy hitters to tell how good these speakers are as designed, improved or not. What other project could be as rewarding in delivering musical pleasure? There may be others, but this is the one I know about and I wanted to spread the wealth, not hoard it. That is the point of a report.

For what it is worth, little old me agrees with everything you said, and exactly. Great description. Every chance I get - oh yes, in my case to the point of never getting enough sleep any more. I love the way Ian stated his case, too. I admit I was trying to draw the two of you out to offer your unique and knowledgeable takes.

Clark in Peoria

Ian Mackenzie
03-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Thank you for posting that, Bo. My goal in starting this thread was anything but arrogant. Since so few do get a chance to hear 4345's, I was hoping you, Ian and anyone else who has given them a good listen would report here how wonderful they are, especially on a daily basis.

I notice the high DIY level of the membership and am hoping more members, if so encouraged, would build their own. I don't want to gloat, start a war about what speaker is better or put anything or anyone down. I want more members to have these in their own rooms. I am just a guy in Peoria who likes to listen to music. You, Bo, as well as Ian, Ken, Widget and anyone else who chimes in, unlike myself, carry some weight with those who might hear what you have to say.

While neverending experimentation in design is a lot of fun, I needed you and the other heavy hitters to tell how good these speakers are as designed, improved or not. What other project could be as rewarding in delivering musical pleasure? There may be others, but this is the one I know about and I wanted to spread the wealth, not hoard it. That is the point of a report.

For what it is worth, little old me agrees with everything you said, and exactly. Great description. Every chance I get - oh yes, in my case to the point of never getting enough sleep any more.

Clark in Peoria

Mr Kent,

No need for me or Bo report as such.......

If yo ain't heard Bo's 4345's U wanna saddle for a few days ride and go hear'em.

Me, I flew over 12,0000 miles on the big Bird across the great Pond with a squawkin baby in my ear the hol the damn way.....and it was worth every second to hear em go, every second!

..With a few Large glasses of CA Red I have many happy memories....CA Blondes are an added bonus me tinks!

Ian

FYI...Below, Bo, Mackabags and The Widget

Ducatista47
03-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, it has been two weeks since I posted the call for 4345 owners. There is Bo and myself for "original" units. There is Ian with a homebuilt clone. I know of one more member in Colorado who has an original pair.

I am not too surprised at the count of three for vintage ownership, but the confirmed count of one for new units is very sad to me. There were alegedly one hundred original pair built, so three in membership hands is unfortunately low but realistic. It can be gathered from my posts on this thread that I would love to see many, many more LH members enjoying new 4345 units every day at home. That Ian seems to be the only one so far is, I hope, an inaccurately low report.

Are there any members currently building 4345's?

I don't know what I can do to encourage this other than to point to the posts on this thread as testaments to the rewards of having a pair of these. Personally, I don't think a DIY listener could do better. Even if only a 2" compression driver floats your boat, Subwoof has communicated how to do that with this speaker. (Personally, I think the 1" driver would yield a better balance and a more seamless presentation, but I can see it for fans of huge SPL listening.) I am sure that Ian's speakers are equal to or better than original units.

4345's - buy or build!

Clark in Peoria

remusr
03-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Duc,
I am working up to it. Drivers first!
2245H - need 1 more
2122H - looking, NRT says 2123H can be reconed
2421B/2307/2308 - have 2307&2308's and LE85,2420,2425's that could work
2405 - I have
3145 - will build, 1st ones ever
cabinets - have the threads of cabinet plans, will build.
listening room - now that might be a problem! L100T,L300,4430,4435 there already!
- Roy
PS - do you have a Duc?

Ducatista47
03-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Duc,
2245H - need 1 more
2122H - looking, NRT says 2123H can be reconed
2421B/2307/2308 - have 2307&2308's and LE85,2420,2425's that could work
2405 - I have
3145 - will build, 1st ones ever
cabinets - have the threads of cabinet plans, will build.
listening room - now that might be a problem! L100T,L300,4430,4435 there already!
- Roy
PS - do you have a Duc?
Great Job! Congratulations on your project.:applaud:

2245's seem to appear on ebay, but usually pairs. I have been so tempted by some as spares, but I'm broke.:( Of course, they are still available new from JBL Pro. If you can build crossovers that complex from scratch, you are braver than I would be. Don't forget the bi-amp switch, it opens up another world. I can tell you this, you won't be sorry for all your work.

There are a number of members who would be as enthusiastic as they are knowledgeable to lend advice as needed. I don't know much, I only spent all my money and drove a long way.

Does anyone out there have some parts for this man at prices a DIY Guy can afford? I know this is a DIY/Marketplace thing, but here we are. Sometimes international shipments to Canada can skip the commercial invoice. Declare value at less than $14US, 20 Canadian. Easy with used or altered parts. Anyone with a FedEx account can ship International Ground to Canada, CHEAP.

Yes, after 30 years of lust I have a Duc. 2000 M900Sie Monster with Micron cans. Waiting for warmer weather... The 4345's keep the cabin fever away.

Clark in Peoria

Ducatista47
03-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Duc,

- Roy

No problem. They will make nice elements for a 7.1 surround system with 4345 fronts!:D

Clark

remusr
03-18-2006, 01:46 PM
The 4435's are not actually in the room yet, they just arrived and are sharing my garage with cages and our 4 bikes, including my 2 GSXR1000's, 1 GSXR1000 & wife's R6. No Duc's, I hope you really enjoy yours, the Monster sure is pretty!
I have a Moniter Audio 5.2 (dual sub) setup for TV watching and I haven't thought of using my musical JBL's. Although concert DVD's could use them....
Do you think the xover will be that tough? Ian sent me the equivalent circuits for the HF & UHF so that helped.

Ian Mackenzie
03-18-2006, 02:11 PM
The 4435's are not actually in the room yet, they just arrived and are sharing my garage with cages and our 4 bikes, including my 2 GSXR1000's, 1 GSXR1000 & wife's R6. No Duc's, I hope you really enjoy yours, the Monster sure is pretty!
I have a Moniter Audio 5.2 (dual sub) setup for TV watching and I haven't thought of using my musical JBL's. Although concert DVD's could use them....
Do you think the xover will be that tough? Ian sent me the equivalent circuits for the HF & UHF so that helped.

If in doubt ask Giskard nicely and he might make a nice CC network.

You chuck the 4435's down in the cellar once to get the 4345 going with some juicy mods that I've done (it makes the 4435 sound a VOT ):p .

remusr
03-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Ian - I'm not as sure about that one! Just hooked up the 4435's and gotta say I love them. I will still be working on the 4345's but they will have to go some to beat what these just did do in my concrete-floored garage, driven by an old Hafler 500 and a Technics CD! Almost blew the grillcloth off. Fat and clean.
- Roy
PS - what means VOT?

Mr. Widget
03-20-2006, 01:03 AM
PS - what means VOT?.

Ian Mackenzie
03-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Roy,

I was only pulling you chain but the stock 2426 driver fitted with a titanium daiphragm is the weak link in these systems. If you can afford a fresh aluminium diaphragms and some 2421 or 2420 alnico drivers it will put a smile on your face.

Ian

Ducatista47
03-25-2006, 08:23 AM
All that can be said is, if they are set-up properly - and I think I did pretty well - they are wonderful. Nothing else comes close (except Widget's latest design which is truly stunner.. :applaud: ).

The 4345's, set-up correctly, are incredibly efficient, astonishingly responsive and very honest (acoustically true). Even playing crappy source material they amaze. They are unlike, and a marked improvement upon, any lesser-sized or peer models. The 4345's are an incredibly clever combination of elements that present music in a most realistic way. It is goofy to single out any one element for praise - the 2245H's are huge, but it doesn't stop there. The realism is persistent from every component.

Every chance I get, I'm parked in front of them. TV dark, just listening. I haven't tweaked their EQ for almost a year. The new 2245H's continue to break in, and just keep adding to the whole.

As I say - the only thing ever to come close -for me - are Widget's most recent, incredible design. They come close - very close. But, I still would not switch. Not yet. I'm far too enamored with what these do. ;)
Emphasis mine. Given your unprecedented level of praise for the sound of the 4345's, I have to ask. What on earth is Widget's most recent design? I'm not asking for any secrets, just throw us a bone!

I am picturing a JBL this, a TAD that and homebrew networks, with rock solid cabinetmaking. Or helium tweeters, Tinkerbell dust and serious time kneeling before an altar bearing the images of James B. Lansing, Thomas Edison and Lao Tzu.:blink:

Clark in Peoria

Chas
03-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Duc,
2245H - need 1 more

Here you go and you could have a spare too!:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/JBL-2245h-18-in-speaker_W0QQitemZ7400414083QQcategoryZ47095QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

speakerdave
03-25-2006, 09:48 AM
I was only pulling you chain but the stock 2426 driver fitted with a titanium daiphragm is the weak link in these systems. If you can afford a fresh aluminium diaphragms and some 2421 or 2420 alnico drivers it will put a smile on your face.
Or, if you are planning on getting new aluminums anyway, some 2470's, which are the same thing, but have phenolic diaphragms originally and are usually a bit cheaper.

David

Ian Mackenzie
03-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I am picturing a JBL this, a TAD that and homebrew networks, with rock solid cabinetmaking. Or helium tweeters, Tinkerbell dust and serious time kneeling before an altar bearing the images of James B. Lansing, Thomas Edison and Lao Tzu.:blink:

Clark in Peoria

A perfect description by all accounts...its Tadtastic!:rotfl:

Mr. Widget
03-25-2006, 10:52 AM
What on earth is Widget's most recent design?

I am picturing a JBL this, a TAD that and homebrew networks, with rock solid cabinetmaking. Or helium tweeters, Tinkerbell dust and serious time kneeling before an altar bearing the images of James B. Lansing, Thomas Edison and Lao Tzu.:blink:You pretty much nailed it...

I'm pretty sure I've finished the business end of the project, as soon as I have finished the aesthetic bits I'll post a DIY thread describing the journey ad nauseum.

It will be another month or two however as life keeps interrupting my progress.:(

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
03-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I will take some pics this morning: watch this spot!

Ducatista47
03-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Yo Yo Yo Ian!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Thank you for the pics. They have emboldened me to pull a back panel of one of mine to see which driver I have behind the horn.

What are the specs / type of those wires? I assume they are an improvement on the original stuff. The gray cables look heavy duty, and what is the gauge of the clear pair?

Damn Beautiful!!!:applaud:

Clark in Peoria

PS I don't want to repeat posted information. Could you direct me to something about your crossovers?

Ian Mackenzie
03-26-2006, 01:58 PM
The wire is an unknown but is quality standed.

Go to the 4343-4344 upgrade project or look at the charge coupling on the cheap thread.

Ian

boputnam
03-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Dood...

Always nice to see pictures of your great cabinets!

Is that the new JBL Blue batch you worked-up? :hmm:

Ian Mackenzie
03-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Its on my list to do..so many projects..so little time!

cheers

Ian

Ducatista47
04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
There is another pair in LH member hands. Better yet, they stay in Canada. Congratulations Chas!:applaud:

In case anyone interested missed it, this is the thread:http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10143

The seller is a member too, but they have migrated from a stored, unused item to a restoration project.

Clark in Peoria

Ducatista47
04-26-2006, 07:22 AM
There is obviously another owner in LH, as Wolfman has sold his wonderful pair. Perhaps we will all know who he is someday. All in good time.

I also notice member "Toms Studio" in Germany has an interesting avatar. If those are his, bingo.

Needless to say, Ian has hatched an idea interesting to owners.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10490

Clark in Peoria

Chas
04-26-2006, 07:36 AM
Does anyone know exactly how many were manufactured? I read here something like 100 pairs, but is that accurate?

Are any other scans of literature available, other than the brochure and the barely legible 3145 schematic on the JBL pro site?

Maybe even an owners manual?

Ducatista47
04-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know exactly how many were manufactured? I read here something like 100 pairs, but is that accurate?

Are any other scans of literature available, other than the brochure and the barely legible 3145 schematic on the JBL pro site?

Maybe even an owners manual?
I certainly hope someone has an owner's manual, if there ever was one. Anything else, from what I have read, probably ate it in the Northridge earthquake. :( Most firms don't encourage their engineers to take company documents home.
I hope I am all wrong about this. Perhaps someone with actual knowledge could shed some light.

Clark

Ducatista47
05-03-2006, 07:15 AM
A nice news day for those interested in 4345's, not to mention 250Ti's.

Wolfman in Colorado has delivered his pair to their new owner, Speakerdave in Nocal.:applaud:

Chas' inquiry about an owner's manual has some interesting, to say the least, answers. On Ian's most excellent thread "The 4345 Club," now the default thread for all things 4345, he has proposed a project for a comprehensive manual, including mods. This suddenly got off to a mighty, mighty good start yesterday when Mr. Greg Timbers posted a lengthly, thoughtful, completely informed and spirited collection of thoughts, recollections and suggestions relating to the 4345 in particular and also to the legendary 250Ti. Dare I say the comparison, not to mention the entire post should be considered definitive, considering the source.:) I am certainly not going to be able to add anything.

Mr. Timbers' post is a gift from heaven and should be carefully read by anyone with even a passing interest in this thread. Or in JBL's of any sort.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110075&postcount=27

Peace, Clark

Ducatista47
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Dead thread or not, it occured to me to post increased member ownership. Norealtalent has bagged a beautiful Piano Black pair. They were pretty messed up in the 10" driver area, but he had the necessary parts onhand.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=121469&postcount=17

He posted that he wished he had jumped on Subwoof's pair when they were up for sale. I'm glad he waited, as those are the ones now in front of me here!

I almost forgot Schloerch! Stunning in Maple!
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110236&postcount=47

Clark in Peoria

JBLRaiser
08-27-2006, 06:55 AM
I tried to stay out of this, but the thread persists... :o:

Your question is moot. Few get to trial these, so what is the point of a report? Anything said will be perceived as arrogant, and that is not the point. I realize how fortunate I am to have these.

I've got some side by side L100's that would 'bust their balls':p

Ducatista47
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Look look look! Add John W to the list and admire his handiwork...
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=122016&postcount=112
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=122018&postcount=113

Clark

Ducatista47
08-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I've got some side by side L100's that would 'bust their balls':p
I can't argue that one way or the other. I once suggested a comparison thread and had to get it shut down myself to stop the bleeding. For what it is worth, I really like the 4311 and feel it provides a different but very entertaining take on the JBL sound. I know the L100 much less well, but they must be close. You'll never catch me putting them down!

Clark in Peoria

Charlie4350
08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Those little 4311's or their brother are awewome as disigned. NEARFIELD.

I'll stop right there.