PDA

View Full Version : 15" 130A Cone Surround Question

pocketchange
03-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Does this speaker have a surround that should or needs replacing due to age?

From the available info, the paper cone (surround region) is coated with rubber and no actual surround
was employed in the design of the 130A. Is this correct?

Thank You,
gary

toddalin
03-03-2006, 02:07 PM

From the available info, the paper cone (surround region) is coated with rubber and no actual surround
was employed in the design of the 130A. Is this correct?

Thank You,
gary

I have a pair of original 130As that have never been reconed and still perform as they did since the 70s.

BTW, these are for sale to any LM member for $250/pr + shipping. They are listed as 8 ohm.
http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/speaker4.jpg

Mr. Widget
03-06-2006, 12:35 AM

was employed in the design of the 130A. Is this correct?I am not sure about the treated paper surrounds, but I have seen 130As with a simple rolled paper surround with no coating and 70's era 130As with a cloth rolled surround. JBL did use a treated paper surround for some models, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the 130As used this type of surround.

Unlike foam surrounds none of these types tend to rot out, however the paper surrounds can wear out and eventually crack.

Widget