PDA

View Full Version : Need help "resizing" avatar pictures

wpod
03-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Greetings- Would it be possible for someone to explain to me in simple terms how to change the "size" of some of my stored images to the 150X150 maximum required size to use for an avatar. I have tried importing some pics into " photo shop" and resizing them there, but I keep messing it up.Your advise will be greatly appreciated , Thank you, wpod

JBLnsince1959
03-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Greetings- Would it be possible for someone to explain to me in simple terms how to change the "size" of some of my stored images to the 150X150 maximum required size to use for an avatar. I have tried importing some pics into " photo shop" and resizing them there, but I keep messing it up.Your advise will be greatly appreciated , Thank you, wpod

phot-shop is what I use..but it might be over kill...without know exactly what you are doing there it's hard to say, HOWEVER there are TWO things which must happen

1. Change the size to no bigger than 150X150
2. the size of the file ( on your hard drive .jpg is best format) should be less than 20K

if you want, let us know exactly what you are doing and clicking on in Photoshop.

( oh gooddd..I'm doing Tech Support on the forum now):banghead:

JBLnsince1959
03-02-2006, 07:01 AM
oh yes, what version of photoshop are you using???

hapy._.face
03-02-2006, 07:23 AM
If you run a fairly recent version of windows- you probably have a proper piece of software already installed.

1.Put your image in a spot where you can easily locate it (desktop is good).

2.Put your cursor on the image icon and right click with your mouse.

3.Select "open with" (or similar wording)

4.Select "choose program" (or similar)

5.Scroll through the list and tell us what options (programs) you have.

From there- we can put you right on track. ;)

Don McRitchie
03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
This is covered here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=818

norealtalent
03-02-2006, 08:08 AM
( oh gooddd..I'm doing Tech Support on the forum now):banghead:

I told you so! :nanana:

wpod
03-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Thank you. I beleive that I am a lot closer than I was when I first tried. I have both Photoshop 2.0 (windows xp) and "Picture It 9" which is an MSN program.Question- if I resize a photo to 150X150, is this going to permanently change the size of the original photo as well? Thank you, wpod

hapy._.face
03-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Thank you. Question- if I resize a photo to 150X150, is this going to permanently change the size of the original photo as well? Thank you, wpod

Yes. Make a copy before resizing. Save the same (original) image under a new name so that you have two versions. Resize one of them for use as your avatar. The other version will remain unscathed. ;)

hjames
03-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Thank you. I beleive that I am a lot closer than I was when I first tried. I have both Photoshop 2.0 (windows xp) and "Picture It 9" which is an MSN program.Question- if I resize a photo to 150X150, is this going to permanently change the size of the original photo as well? Thank you, wpod

Really - google and grab Lview 1b16 - its a funky program, but it will allow to choose how much compression you use when saving JPG files. Photoshop has the file quality option of 1-9, but it saves so much junk in the file headers its nearly impossible to save anything interesting in under 20k.
I can save the same photo as 85% quality JPG in Lview and its 9-12k

wpod
03-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I downloaded the LView as reccommended and it certainly makes resizing quite easy. Now I just have to determine why my puppy is now green. Thanx again, WpOd

hapy._.face
03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I downloaded the LView as reccommended and it certainly makes resizing quite easy. Now I just have to determine why my puppy is now green. Thanx again, WpOd

This happens when the file size is slightly too big. Better to go slightly smaller than the rec size.

JBLnsince1959
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
sorry I lost track with this thread today and didn't help more...BUT..it looks like you are in good hands with other people.