PDA

View Full Version : Its all in the marketing!

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Thought I'd repost an earlier thread response:

"Its more the media and marketing that drives sales in both the recordings of the actual music and the equipment used to reproduce it. Why do you think the IPOD is so popular, because it sounds the best?

The competition in the 70's was fierce and it forced companies to build equipment with higher quality in order to compete. Now it comes down to what is marketed better, have you paid attention to the number of ads running for the Bose systems, I think its a joke, but then again I see a lot of my friends who have them and go nuts for them, and even show them off to me.

My generation is ignorant to what is out there, not so much because we don't want to have great sounding gear, but because most people my age view the Best Buy equipment as GREAT, I was one of them, but once I heard the Marantz 2226 with the Altec 19's I was hooked. Unfortunatly, most people from my generation aren't that lucky and would not even consider buying something that was made 30+ years ago.

Most of my friends know about stores like Tweeter that sell higher end gear, and a few of my buddies have decent systems, but the problem is that no one today can afford to spend the money needed to experience what you (baby-boomers) experienced when you were younger. There is just nothing out there marketed to the average consumer and sold at a reasonable price to open the door for those interested in experienceing a true Hi-fidelity system.

Not that the equipment and speakers in your time was cheap, it was most certainly not, but even the lowest model would sound fantastic compared to what is out there today/ Many of the entry level speakers like the Dynaco A-25's, Advents, and heck even the L100's were accessible to the average consumer which allowed the market for true hi-fidelity systems to be introduced and appreciated by the masses.

This is especially true for speakers, none can be bought for under $1000 to rival even my L36's. So how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly can't afford it, or have no way of finding out what they are missing when they are content with headphones and MP3's? I read in my newspaper, The Daily Illini (University of Illinois), in a blind trial with identical stereo systems, I don't remember the equipment used, but less than 10% could tell any difference between a MP3 and a CD. Its amazing what marketing can do to brainwash us all."

hjames
02-28-2006, 05:44 AM
The reason I have an iPod is that I can put a huge amount of my music collection in one small pocket-sized device and play it back at will. I use it mostly in the car/truck when I travel out of town, but there are times when I am at work and need to cover the sounds from the adjacent cubicle. I rarely use it at home when I can play the Lps or CDs on my main system. And I use an older set of Sony MDR-V4 Digital Monitor headphones, not those silly earbud things.

I think for most people the current sound systems are a matter of convenience - ease of use in a small package. For them, the music doesn't matter - its just filler, background noise.

We are audio snobs - for us it DOES matter! We want to hear all the different ways to hear music - we want to taste the colour of an 8" low low-mid driver, the sizzle of the slot tweeter and hear titanium domes sing.

Part of it may be the difference in music - in the 70s there was an amazing variety of stuff on FM radio. Now - its all NPR and Clear Channel - so there's not the same drive to own killer sound systems for the likes of Brittney, Jessica (& Ashley) and Eminem ...

Heather

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 06:00 AM
There are many people using the IPOD and laptops for their MAIN system. In fact many newer receivers have inputs that accept laptops and IPODs/ I understand their purpose, but for a serious listening system the MP3 format is very unappealing and very thin sounding. But I guess to each his own.

norealtalent
02-28-2006, 06:11 AM
We want to hear... titanium domes sing. ...

Reminds me of the old Coke jingle about teaching the world to sing "in perfect harmony," fortunately, 'Dome only sings in the shower and I can't hear the Titanium shrieking 3000 miles away.:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: (All in fun my Friends):bouncy:

hapy._.face
02-28-2006, 06:46 AM
snip...'how else is someone supposed to know what they are missing if they truly can't afford it, or have no way of finding out what they are missing when they are content with headphones and....'

Headphones ARE the salvation for those less financially fortunate. A great pair of headphones will rival all but the best speakers in the best environment. $300 can really get you off. (Obviously the source material should be pretty good, too.)

When I was audio poor, I loved discovering the headphone jack quality of various thrift store integrated amps/receivers. I had (at one time) a pair of vintage stax, grado, HD280 seinns, vintage pioneer, and vintage audio techs. I was quite a headphone junkie. Quality used headphones used to be available everywhere; I don't know if that's still the case. People need to rediscover what a good pair of headphones can do. :yes:

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 07:01 AM
I have a pair of Koss PRO/4AA's, they sound fantastic. I doubt ear bud headphones for the IPOD sound anywhere near as good as even the most modest JBL speaker system.

hapy._.face
02-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I don't know about that. Some of those earbud headphones they make now are supposed to be very high end. Shure makes a pair retailing at a hefty sum. Why? Must be something to it...

I'm down to one pair of headphones- Grado SR325i's (newest model) connected to a dedicated homebrew headphone amp. I have heard speaker set ups that rival this rig- but not in my own home (yet). I would need to hire a personal acoustician to get the same focus I experience with my headphones.

I live in a heavily populated area and I own a row home. I can't exactly play a stereo system at high levels without being rude as hell. I do try to time the loud music just right (neighbors at work, etc). As a result- I listen to headphones a lot, and still love it.

Those who are inexperienced in hifi should just buy a good pair, and try to improve upon that when they slowly build a system of their own. Eventually, all the pieces will fall in to place- even for the poor.

clmrt
02-28-2006, 07:23 AM
I have a good friend here at work who used $0.99 phones jacked into her PC. For her birthday I gave her a set of my old V6's.

"My God, you can hear the bass!" she said - then I lent her my component CD player for a week, w/HP out. She was miffed when I came to take it back.

Exposing people to good audio is tough, but sweet when it takes hold.

Titanium Dome
02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Reminds me of the old Coke jingle about teaching the world to sing "in perfect harmony," fortunately, 'Dome only sings in the shower and I can't hear the Titanium shrieking 3000 miles away.:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: (All in fun my Friends):bouncy:

But Nightbrace nailed it in a way...this TD really sings when he's in the slot, so to speak.

On a more serious note, I use an iPod all the time, even at home. There's an Airport Express hooked into the FAP T1+ so I can stream iTunes direct from my PowerBook if I want, plus I have a direct input for the iPod.

At work, I've got a direct iPod input into the Carver CT-3, and it plays through the Soundcraftsmen A400 into the 4430s.

In the car, I use a Griffin iTrip, and I also use the iTrip in the shop to simultaneously send the same signal to three systems at once.

At the gym, I use the iPod headphones, which is definitely the weakest part of the experience. Otherwise, walking, traveling, sitting around, I'll use my Sennheiser headphones, and they sound just fine.

The iPod (or another player if you want one) is a great way to have music with you everywhere and to get it into just about anything. It beats the hell out of carrying around 1000 CDs and a CD player, or a regular hard drive and all the connecting cables and power supply.

Remember, it's a matter of degrees. An iPod playing Apple Lossless® won't sound as good as a CD playing through the 4430s, but it'll sound a lot better than a CD playing out of a boombox or a laptop or a Bose Acoustimass®.

When someone comes into my office while I'm playng the iPod through the 4430s, they still stop for a minute and say "That sounds great! It's better than my brother's Bose system. It must have cost a bundle," or words to that effect. I say, "Thanks," but I think, You have no idea...

If I have the time and I'm so inclined, then I'll pop in a CD and say, "Now, listen to this." But whether I do or not, they're still very impressed, because after all, it's a matter of degrees.

norealtalent
02-28-2006, 09:10 AM
I admire your Spirit 'Dome, thank you Friend...:bouncy:

hapy._.face
02-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I can't do it. I, too admire your spirit 'Dome.
Me personally: I can't listen to lower grade source material no matter how much I try. I guess I'm too critical. For example- If a radio station isn't coming in loud and clear- I'm ready to rip it out of the dash. I guess I'm an audio whackjob. Perhaps the IPod lovers like music more than I do, or perhaps they are willing to sacrifice quality for convenience. I don't know..

I know a fax machine version of a great painting does not convey the same emotion. If I have a jingle in my head, and I want to confirm that I'm programmed in to it- maybe....

Bless you all- either way. At least it's still music. And in your unique case, 'Dome- you have the JBL toys at home to back it up!:)

Zilch
02-28-2006, 01:10 PM
CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) - Reaching further into living rooms, Apple Computer Inc. on Tuesday introduced a speaker system for its iPod music players and a revamped Mac Mini computer that will let users access music, video and photos across their home networks.

With the iPod Hi-Fi system _ priced at $349 _ users can dock their portable players into the speakers and use a remote control to operate it from afar. That means there's no longer a need for a cabinet full of CDs, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said during a presentation at company headquarters.

"It's home stereo reinvented for the iPod age," he said.

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
iPod Hi-Fi system

"It's home stereo reinvented for the iPod age," he said.

An Ipod by ite very definition can never be Hi-Fi. what an age we're living in, the IPOD has its place, but it should not be the END ALL BE ALL of people's experience of music, that is what seems to be happening.

hapy._.face
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
It's all going to the digital download. I'm a vinyl nut, so analog is still king in my book. HOWEVER- when these downloads get to a great high rez format, and better selection- I'm all in!!!

edgewound
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
An Ipod by ite very definition can never be Hi-Fi. what an age we're living in, the IPOD has its place, but it should not be the END ALL BE ALL of people's experience of music, that is what seems to be happening.

Only if you let it happen to you. Beware of the iPod Gestapo. They're right around the corner with their sights set on you....you have no choice.;) :p

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
When someone comes into my office while I'm playng the iPod through the 4430s, they still stop for a minute and say "That sounds great! It's better than my brother's Bose system. It must have cost a bundle," or words to that effect. I say, "Thanks," but I think, You have no idea...

If I have the time and I'm so inclined, then I'll pop in a CD and say, "Now, listen to this." But whether I do or not, they're still very impressed, because after all, it's a matter of degrees.

I think you have properly used the new technology to your advantage when its not possible to lug your JBL's around with you, in the car does it really matter with all the road and wind noise? Same goes for at work.

TD, thats the problem, people truly don't have any idea what they are missing out on and really do consider the MP3 as an UPGRADE to the CD! Most people just stop there and don't pursue what else is out there after they get their Bose system or HT system with an IPOD as the main source. Tradgecially I know many of my friends who have ditched their CD's and coverted them to MP3's, this is not all that uncommon. Why not do what your supposed to do? Keep the CD's at home and take the MP3's with you!! Do they really take up that much space? I can't have a collection of 200 CD's that all fit nicely in a CD case no larger than a binder, thats crazy! It takes up too much space!! :D I think its time for a public service announcement on NBC's "the more you know".

TD, at least you got the goods and know where this stuff stands and what it is useful for, but it IS being marketed as THE BEST NEW TECHNOLOGY, and everyone seems to be getting on the wagon without even a thought about other mediums. God Forbid anyone shares copies of CD's anymore. I thought the CD burner was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The music sounds great, and best of all you don't have to pay to download stuff, and if you have a ton of friends with a CD collection, in a sense you have that CD collection as well. I guess the record companies got tired of people "stealing" music, but then we just did the same thing with Napster, and now with file transfer software, anyone can get virtually any song for free. How does that make things better for the music industry? When the music quality is dumberd down and on top of that is being downloaded by seemingly everyone. IDK, CD's were fine for me, SACD's even a bit better, if they only would have spent the time marketing that format instead of the MP3 formet, we'd all be much happier, again just my .02/

norealtalent
02-28-2006, 02:39 PM
I really don't think the format matters. Most people haven't a clue. Punch in NS-10 and read all the raves, look at all the studios with them. Ask your average college freshmen what a glockenspiel or oboe is. I met one who thought a basson was a big ape.:screwy: This world is doomed.:wave: :scoot: :wave: I'm going to listen to my JBL's before somebody presses the button over a stupid cartoon...:bomb:

hapy._.face
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I really don't think the format matters. Most people haven't a clue. Punch in NS-10 and read all the raves, look at all the studios with them. Ask your average college freshmen what a glockenspiel or oboe is. I met one who thought a basson was a big ape.:screwy: This world is doomed.:wave: :scoot: :wave: I'm going to listen to my JBL's before somebody presses the button over a stupid cartoon...:bomb:

And that folks, is the
quote of the week!!!!
Well said, Dave! :p

duaneage
02-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I have a pair of AKG 240 headphones I like. They are about the most accurate I have had. I went through Sennheiser and Koss but did not find them to be quality built products anymore. I have used the AKG almost daily for 8 years and no troubles.

jim campbell
02-28-2006, 03:50 PM
i wouldn't have an i pood in the house.it is only because most of the titles i want are unavailable on decent vinyl that cd's have become the mainstay at the igloo and some of them sound pretty good..........ecm, hdcd,sacd, are the best of these,but the reason most of us spend so much time and money on our systems is to hear the subtleties that only the better source materials allow.i have read that as much as 90% of this is lost with mp3 and the like.it seems that these days folks must have something to distract at all times be it a video game ,i pood,and even portable dvd' players on the freeway.imho these gadgets are just so much noise and i would rather give up all of them knowing that when i get home i can hear real music on a real system.

louped garouv
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
It's all going to the digital download. I'm a vinyl nut, so analog is still king in my book. HOWEVER- when these downloads get to a great high rez format, and better selection- I'm all in!!!

there are sites that have hi rez downloads available, but the ones I know of cater to the DJ market.....

I suspect that as Ipod amateur DJ nights become more popular and ppl realize how crappy their low rez downloads sound on a powerful & articulate system; they wil start to also demand better quality (ie "loss-less") downloads

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Umm, why not just send .wav files then or burn the CD's? A high res file will take up the same amount of space!

hapy._.face
02-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Umm, why not just send .wav files then or burn the CD's? A high res file will take up the same amount of space!

Time and expense. A hard drive can be used over and over again- all at one price tag.

Nightbrace
03-24-2006, 06:03 PM
guys I know I upset a lot of people with this thread, and I assure you all I am doing my best to get ALL my prior posts removed, after a long time off, I am here to stay,

I love JBL too much, and think I have a lot to contribute, if you guys just let me!

QwertyAccess
03-26-2006, 04:16 AM
I have a pair of AKG 240 headphones I like. They are about the most accurate I have had. I went through Sennheiser and Koss but did not find them to be quality built products anymore. I have used the AKG almost daily for 8 years and no troubles.

You do know that headphones break in right? :P 8 years of breaking in vs a brand new sennheiser probably would be quite a difference. When i first got my sennheiser headphones they were good, but after playing it continously for a long time they sound wonderful now.

Right after getting my sennheiser headphones i just plug them in and set them playing in my amplifier for a very long time at a loud volume to have them break in sooner

Speaker quality might have died over the years, but with companys like shure and sennheiser around and many other headphone companys they are atleast still making quality products.

duaneage
03-26-2006, 06:21 PM
You do know that headphones break in right? :P 8 years of breaking in vs a brand new sennheiser probably would be quite a difference. When i first got my sennheiser headphones they were good, but after playing it continously for a long time they sound wonderful now.

I have a set of HD450II sennheisers that actually sound worse today than when I bought them. I replaced the lead wires twice and now the third set of wires are developing connection problems. I am sure Sennheiser makes better products, especially in the 300 - 500 dollar range but the 122.00 AKGs are really something else and I love them. And I have had no problems with them.

QwertyAccess
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
yeah, thats weird you could have a defective one, dont have that particular model but i know i've been happy with anything i've gotten from sennheiser, is the HD450II an older model? i dont notice ever really seeing that one, but in the end im glad there are a good amount of companies making good headphones unlike what happened to the loudspeaker industry.