PDA

View Full Version : what speaker to use for 3 main for HT

shillyar
02-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe i started this project with the wrong train of thought. so let me just ask.

you guys all said 250ti's sound would be hampeed if i shove em in a flush wall and then i need to find a matching 240/120ti's for the center.

well here's what i got.

room size is 22x50x10 tv areas is 1/2 of the room.

equipment i have now is

1 s800 2x200 or 900 mono
1 2500 sdec2500a
denon reciever
2 infinity ssw 210 subs
4 jbl synthesys s4's 3 fronts s4 are sold.

im not to concern with the side and rear as im not changing them

equipment in transiet

3 more s800's

my plan was to run 900 into each L C R and 2x200 into each rear and then into the 2500.

the sides will be connected to the amp from the reciever as the sdec2500 is only 5 channels prein and out.

stickin with sythesis speaker is not really an option as the 9800 and 5800 are out of my budget

I guess my main requirement/issue is my fake wall i have to slide what ever i get into

Maybe I should look at some nice matching monitors/araays for the front 3 ? and forget the 250ti thought.

thoughts ?

Titanium Dome
02-26-2006, 06:39 PM
This is unclear to me.

4 jbl synthesys s4's 3 fronts s4 are sold.

Can you clarify how many S4s you have and where you plan to use them?

shillyar
02-26-2006, 08:43 PM
well I have 7 jbl synthesis s4 inwalls mounted. I have techincal sold the front 3 via ebay but, I have not discd em. I spoke with the calibration person that suppose to calibrate the sdec2500 and he said my room is technically 2 big for the s4's and to get the 3 S2's for my front and center. However if i go that route I want to explore my options as the s2's are not cheep if i have to buy em new and its a crap shoot if i find some on ebay.

I have had 250ti in the past that i loved but, I never had em shoved into a wall for a flush look. I sold em but a few years ago but, I did find set of 250ti classics that im working on buying but im finding out that may not be a good idea. I might just get em and hope for the best and worse case ill tear down my fake wall.

thoughts

Zilch
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
You've still got the center problem....

Mr. Widget
02-27-2006, 12:44 AM
If instead of a false wall you had a "wall" of grille cloth, essentially a giant speaker grille, I would expect you could get fairly good results with the 250Tis. As Zilch pointed out you would still need a center though. It is really impossible to give you useful answers without more info. A room plan showing the screen location, seating, and proposed speaker locations would be a good start.

I assume your existing speakers are these S4s? These are essentially the Performance Series in a different skin. Have you tried them or were you just told that they won't work? How hard will you be pushing the system? I would doubt that the 250Ti would have significantly greater umpf... Are you sure your Infinity subs are up to the task? I am not familiar with them, but in a large room, you need quite a bit of VLF capacity for HT use.

Widget