PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Samson pix, not much other info though

mech986
02-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Hi,

A while back I mentioned I had some info on the SUMO Samson sub. I did manage to track one down and haul it back home. However the seller had no literature or information about the sub. He also had the matching Delilah active crossover but wanted to keep it for the time being.

I haven't been able to find anything listed for them in my Audio Magazine Equipment Directories of the relavant time period so far.

Right now they are sort of buried in my garage so if anyone is looking for dimensions or measurements, it may take awhile. Anyway, the box is finished in an Oak butcher block and is decidedly rectangular with 2 big vents on the right side. It has a wrap around grille frame/cloth. There are no casters, that's my moving dolly.

I'll try to answer any questions as I can. I believe its another 2235H driver in there, was refoamed correctly about a year ago.

Regards,

Bart

majick47
02-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Mech986 I have some material on the Sumo Sampson from late 1980s Audio magazines. The stock woofer is the JBL 2235h and the sub is a clone of the JBL B380 sub. I gave up trying to find two (2) Sampsons and ended up with two (2) Velodyne ULD15 subs. I have a Sumo Delilah crossover that was the companion component for the Sampson that is "surplus" and was listed on Audiogon a day ago. I do not have the manual for the Delilah, another difficult item to locate, but the setup should be fairly simple and similar to the JBL B380 crossover.

Zilch
02-26-2006, 12:42 PM
That's kind of a nice design.

I wonder what's going on down at the bottom there. It seems to be elevated from the panel above the dolly.

That might be a smarter place to put the ports, rather than on the side....

:hmm:

4313B
02-26-2006, 01:21 PM
That's kind of a nice design.

I wonder what's going on down at the bottom there. It seems to be elevated from the panel above the dolly.

That might be a smarter place to put the ports, rather than on the side....

:hmm:Right... we all know how the ports on the side really jacked up the B460...

Maybe Steve Gonzales can add to this thread. I think he has some information.

Zilch
02-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Right... we all know how the ports on the side really jacked up the B460...Well it DOES impose certain limitiations upon how one might place a pair of them B460's with 4435's....

[And they were not available mirror imaged, either.... :p ]

What IS that at the bottom there?

4313B
02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Dunno, looks spooky though.

mech986
02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi, thanks for the questions. Here's another picture from lower with the grille on. I thought it might be the variable magnetic levitation system to isolate the main cabinet from the base - imagine a system where you could raise or lower the cabinet to best height :blink:

What is there is a thick bottom base plate (likely MDF trimmed in oak) and then a pedestal of about 1 or 2 inches separating the base from the main enclosure. With the grille wrapped it looks kinda nice, no?

Here's also a closer picture of the Oak top, its pretty thick so could easily function as a chopping block or a good sized coffee table. How about this as part of your SuperBowl party?

Regards,

Bart

Steve Gonzales
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey Bart,

My Brother in law owned two of those Samson's and a Delilah crossover. I had just asked him about getting the literature to post on this site not too long ago but during that time he passed away suddenly. He did manage to send a scan of some of the original literature he received. I remember seeing this back in the mid 80's when they were purchased. Sumo used a reprint of a published review to advertise them. I don't recall any other info ( if any exists at all). He originally wanted 2 B460's to compliment his L250''s and they were not available soon enough in lil' ol' Bakersfield so he bought the Sumo's because they used the 2235H and are suppose to mimic the B380.