PDA

View Full Version : Technical Reference - a perspective:

Zilch
02-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I want to spend more time away from this, finish Project May, finish some other projects people have been waiting for, work on some backend projects for the website. The forums themselves just aren't getting anywhere and the information has either been lost or buried. Fortunately it's all still in my head and a few forum members have commited it to theirs as well ;) Indeed. As someone who has spent the last year trying to find and work with the information here, I attest it is enormously difficult and frustrating using "Search" to get at it. It's unlikely I've ever found all, or even the best of it, for that matter, on any one subject of interest, and it's quite impossible to read the entire forum anymore, of course. (Yes, friends, it was once possible....)

At least with respect to technical subject matter, I believe there's substantial benefit yet to be realized from consolidating information into the read-only "Technical Reference" section. As example, we've had a recent discussion regarding 5235 crossovers and their filter cards. Apparently, considerable work was previously done on documenting this, with input from Harman. I can't find it, rather, only fragmented portions in numerous threads. No doubt this is disappointing for those who (him who) put forth the effort to compile and post it here in the first place, as expressed in Giskard's lament above.

If it were available in "Tech Ref" for all to efficiently access, the time and effort of repeatedly reposting portions of the information in response to individual inquiries on the forums could be dedicated instead to more substantive discussions of issues relating to application. I was not aware of the existence of FFBREQ cards, and I'm approaching 5235 from a new perspective now that I have "discovered" them; I'm gonna have a fun time now figuring out how to make some at N/A 1 kHz. I've also recently learned there's 24 dB/octave "active" options available, too.

From reading the forums, it's clear that some members feel there's benefit to keeping technical information arcane and difficult. You've got to "pay the price" for access. I don't see that advancing the larger purpose here, is all. There's much more benefit for everyone to be derived from operating at their "leading edge" with more of that knowledge immediately at hand.

Again, I'm only citing 5235 as illustration. There's a broader range of applicability to technical information access here....

Ian Mackenzie
02-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Zilch,

This issue has been previously raised on a number of ocassions.

There are barriers relating to publishing JBL Tech information so only limited aspects of Tech data would be available for read only. (The situation may have changed since we last looked at this and Techbot may be able to provide more current update)

The prospect of a better search function has also been considered but with Don being away this and a number of other projects have been put on hold.

I know its frustrating, particularly when the search turns a several very long threads. As a rule shorter (short) threads that contain consise and accurate information have a real practical benefit to anyone doing a search.

So as you can see its something that collectively all members can address.

JuniorJBL
02-25-2006, 05:58 PM
I have been contemplating this as well. For starters it has been suggested that people put better titles on there posts. Yes this would help allot with a Titles search and would indeed be helpful.
One thought I have had was to maybe limit threads in the tech and DIY forums to 50-100 posts or something like that. You would then continue with a new thread. No this is not a great solution but a step towards organizing on a much larger scale. It then becomes easer to search threads and to read them as well.

We could also maybe have some sort of moderator watch some of these threads that start and then ask the thread starter or the member who puts forth the answer to "summarize" the thread or condense the thread for use in the Tech ref section.
These are just ideas and should be looked upon as just that more input could add a broader base for these ideas.
Shane
:blink:

hapy._.face
02-25-2006, 06:28 PM
A delegate could start new tech titles and paste consolidated snips from previous threads along with crediting the original author. This might bypass any legality issues from JBL, if any.

Tree subcategories would be cool (though probably difficult). Example:
CATEGORY: JBL SPEAKER MODELS (alphabetical list)
SUBCAT: 250Ti [post general info here (not found in the library) including the links to relevant library pages.]
SUBCAT2: MODS & MISC (tweaks, interesting facts, historical info, etc.)

It's obvious that one of the principal frustrations is stemming from the repeated posting of information. It's tiring to the person who answers it again, and again, and again, and- Well, I'd get fed up, too! It needs to be consolidated- somehow.

Titanium Dome
02-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Perhaps we could be assigned some individual responsibility to help pull some of this together.

For example, I would accept an assignment to look at some of the threads I've started for things I actually know something about: Performance Series, L Series (1990s), SVA Series. Then I could be responsible for searching the entire forum for tidbits and pieces here and there, bring those bits together, and acutally collate and summarize the parts that really matter.

Those parts would contribute to the advancement of the forum's knowledge base and flush all the bullshit and humor out of the new, locked Performance Series Super Thread, which would be the real trove of knowledge.

All the original threads would still be intact and available for archival purposes, but unless somebody needed to find an old insult or smart-ass comment, there wouldn't be much point in going in there. Everything that mattered would be in the PS Super Thread.

If someone has a new angle or bizarre idea to discus about the Performance Series, then, fine, start a new discussion thread on that topic, and if it generates anything useful, it could be summarized, linked, and added to the PS Super Thread by whoever is in charge.

JBL has a boatload of products, but we tend to focus on many of the same ones over and over. Once we got our main Super Threads in place, a lot of the reptition would disappear.

Plus, I'd love to have a locked L100 Super Thread where there wouldn't be any space for certain people to take cheap shots. :D

I think a lot of us, given the privilege of supervising the content of a locked Super Thread about our favorite speakers, would do a hell of a job keeping the place neat and tidy, yet at the same time be constatnly on the look out to add substantive new information to the knowledge base. :yes:

Ian Mackenzie
02-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Perhaps we could be assigned some individual responsibility to help pull some of this together.

For example, I would accept an assignment to look at some of the threads I've started for things I actually know something about: Performance Series, L Series (1990s), SVA Series. Then I could be responsible for searching the entire forum for tidbits and pieces here and there, bring those bits together, and acutally collate and summarize the parts that really matter.

Those parts would contribute to the advancement of the forum's knowledge base and flush all the bullshit and humor out of the new, locked Performance Series Super Thread, which would be the real trove of knowledge.

All the original threads would still be intact and available for archival purposes, but unless somebody needed to find an old insult or smart-ass comment, there wouldn't be much point in going in there. Everything that mattered would be in the PS Super Thread.

If someone has a new angle or bizarre idea to discus about the Performance Series, then, fine, start a new discussion thread on that topic, and if it generates anything useful, it could be summarized, linked, and added to the PS Super Thread by whoever is in charge.

JBL has a boatload of products, but we tend to focus on many of the same ones over and over. Once we got our main Super Threads in place, a lot of the reptition would disappear.

Plus, I'd love to have a locked L100 Super Thread where there wouldn't be any space for certain people to take cheap shots. :D

I think a lot of us, given the privilege of supervising the content of a locked Super Thread about our favorite speakers, would do a hell of a job keeping the place neat and tidy, yet at the same time be constatnly on the look out to add substantive new information to the knowledge base. :yes:

My vote would be to assign this task to our most prolific poster(s).

The issue would just go away and our capacity to seach for specifics would increase at a geometric rate!

Zero
02-25-2006, 11:01 PM
My vote would be to assign this task to our most prolific poster(s).I have ONE post.... :snore:

JuniorJBL
02-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I have ONE post.... :snore:

Is this your nomination for "Thread consolidation moderator" Your Cat looks mad!!:rotfl: :rotfl:

SonicX