PDA

View Full Version : Lens Ringing Problem with L222

ngccglp
02-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Any L222/L220 owners experienced ringing L94 lens when playing loud? Is there a way to damp it? It is quite loud and I could hear it, and its rubbing against the grill as well.

Thanks.

Robh3606
02-24-2006, 06:05 AM
Hmmm

I use the L94's on my 4344 clones and they do vibrate a bit, they seem to pick it up off the baffle. I have the soft velcro as a buffer between the baffle and the lense and that keeps it from being audible. Don't know if you can do that with the L220. You could also add foam at the ends of the lenses to keep the edges for being lively but I have never had that problem with the 4344's.

Rob:)

ngccglp
02-24-2006, 09:29 AM
I think there is supposed to be foam behind the horns, but over time it has disintegrated. I'll try to stick something soft behind to see what happens.

You are right, the lens picked up the vibration from the baffle because it is hard mounted.

ngccglp
02-26-2006, 03:27 AM
Just to update, its not the lens ringing that I'm hearing, it may be the sub-baffle assembly (that mounts the LE5) buzzing against the divider board that separates the bass and mid/high section. It is glued and screwed to the main baffle by 4 screws. Visually it is supposed to be resting on the divider board, not sure if any glue was applied.

The loud rocking and the tremendous amount of bass energy, and age may have loosen the sub-baffle. I tried tighening the screws but it did not work.

Anybody has experience with this? I am thinking of getting some wood putty and apply it all round.

PS - Save all L222/L220. They image like crazy and the bass is...WOW!!!

Steve Gonzales
02-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Just to update, its not the lens ringing that I'm hearing, it may be the sub-baffle assembly (that mounts the LE5) buzzing against the divider board that separates the bass and mid/high section. It is glued and screwed to the main baffle by 4 screws. Visually it is supposed to be resting on the divider board, not sure if any glue was applied.

The loud rocking and the tremendous amount of bass energy, and age may have loosen the sub-baffle. I tried tighening the screws but it did not work.

Anybody has experience with this? I am thinking of getting some wood putty and apply it all round.

PS - Save all L222/L220. They image like crazy and the bass is...WOW!!!

Hello there,

I've owned six pairs of these speakers and never had that problem, just the L94 ringing due to the stock foam pieces at either end of the L94 being rotten. The piece of wood you speak of actually sets the L94 back the proper distance from the main baffle, it also is critical in the vertical alignment of it too. If I was going to put something in between that piece of wood and the divider, I would try some VERY thin strips of felt or cork. I also wouldn't overtighten the four wood screws that hold the LE5-9's sub-baffle in place, as very little of the wood screw actually penetrates the back of the main baffle to anchor it. There should be a bed of fiberglass insulation lining the divider too, that may help dampen resonances also. If that doesn't work, order yourself a small sheet of 'Dynamat' brand sound deadening material and affix it to the interior pieces until the problem is solved. Let us know what does the trick and good luck, Steve G.

ngccglp
02-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks Steve.

Can I get the Dynamat materials from DIY/Hardware shops? How about wood putty? Can I use that since it is readily available?

Steve Gonzales
02-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Here is one place to get it: http://www.sounddeadener.com/ . You can usually find it at high end CarAudio shops. It does work!. I hope this helps, Regards, Steve G

BTW: I wouldn't use the woodputty, I would use the felt. For the best result, Dynamat.

scott fitlin
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Here is one place to get it: http://www.sounddeadener.com/ . You can usually find it at high end CarAudio shops. It does work!. I hope this helps, Regards, Steve G

BTW: I wouldn't use the woodputty, I would use the felt. For the best result, Dynamat.Ditto!

ngccglp
03-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi, before I used those damping materials, thought I should try some quick and easy fix first. The gap is too narrow for anything to be squeezed in-between. So I applied white wood glue all around the part that touches the divider. I think I may have solved the buzzing problem, the only thing is not sure how long this solution will last. I was rocking to SOULIVE NEXT cd which has a tremendous amount of low organ bass notes and there's no buzzing. The L14 is really something, the bass was whacking me in the chest all the way, also after about 2 songs, the grill came loose. :D

Steve Gonzales
03-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear you are successful in eliminating the buzz. You asked me to post a picture of a stock LE14 glue line so here is one. Mr Marlon Balan of MB Sound here in Bakersfield used Rick Cobb supplied parts to rebuild these LE14H's (spiders/foams). Although the original dust cap was removed, he did a wonderful job of gluing it in so it follows the original line EXACTLY. Here they are:

Steve Gonzales
03-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, before I used those damping materials, thought I should try some quick and easy fix first. The gap is too narrow for anything to be squeezed in-between. So I applied white wood glue all around the part that touches the divider. I think I may have solved the buzzing problem, the only thing is not sure how long this solution will last. I was rocking to SOULIVE NEXT cd which has a tremendous amount of low organ bass notes and there's no buzzing.
The L14 is really something, the bass was whacking me in the chest all the way, also after about 2 songs, the grill came loose. :D Yeah, they are great drivers and the PR15 tuned enclosure is not everyones cup of tea, but with the right set up, placement and amplifier, they can deliver very satisfying LF. Nice to hear some positive feedback about the 'Redheaded Stepchild' of the big JBL models :applaud:

ngccglp
03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks Steve, I'll try to post some picture of my LE14 when I can get the digital camera. Maybe you can advise me whether mine was original.

definitief
03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi, I have also a pair of L220's, and had also some ringing problems with the LF section, there was some space between the dustcaps of the PR15's and the cone (no glue). I've repaired them and now the problems are over :)
Dirk.

Steve Gonzales
03-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi, I have also a pair of L220's, and had also some ringing problems with the LF section, there was some space between the dustcaps of the PR15's and the cone (no glue). I've repaired them and now the problems are over :)
Dirk. Hi Dirk,

Good to hear from so many L220/222 fans out there!. These models get such a lukewarm response from most that it is a real pleasure to know that not everyone thinks that way. Hey, all you L220/222 owners, I'm telling you what, if you want to be blown away by an easy modification, put an H92/LE85 or 2312/2420/2421/2470 in place of that LE5-9 and TRIamp them. Killer!. Thanks for the posts, Steve G.

definitief
03-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply, but i have question about the mod you talked about; if I replace the LE5-9 for an LE85/H92, can I still use the original crossover? Or does the LE85 not work with the original L220 crossover?:blink:
Dirk