PDA

View Full Version : found JBL 2231H woofers in my attic

dmmolner
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
These have got to be 30 yearsw old at least. Never used, surrounds need to be replaced. Once upon a time I was going to make some Belle Klipsch folded corner horns. Now I am thinking of fixing them and using them in a 3-way speaker. Any suggestions on size or shape? I would also like to get the specs, Q and V factors if anyone knows. I checked the library but the sheet only says volume 3 - 5 cubic ft and crossover at 800 hz.

speakerdave
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
If they're really 30 years old, I'll assume the magnets are Alnico. Look for specs on the 136A; it's the consumer version of the same woofer.

David

toddalin
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
2231H parameters are all included in the WinISD program available on-line.

These have got to be 30 yearsw old at least. Never used, surrounds need to be replaced. Once upon a time I was going to make some Belle Klipsch folded corner horns. Now I am thinking of fixing them and using them in a 3-way speaker. Any suggestions on size or shape? I would also like to get the specs, Q and V factors if anyone knows. I checked the library but the sheet only says volume 3 - 5 cubic ft and crossover at 800 hz.

jcdahl
02-24-2006, 10:47 PM
I have looked and looked in my attic but all I can find is dust and spiders.

JuniorJBL
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
I have looked and looked in my attic but all I can find is dust and spiders.

Where do they put those? :blink: Did they put them in all attics?:applaud:

frank23
02-25-2006, 03:50 AM

check they way you stored them. I bought a pair that were stored horizontally and the spider had sagged. No edge replacement was going to fix that so I had them reconed with 2235 cones [as recommended by JBL].

frank

dmmolner
02-27-2006, 07:50 PM
They were in the original boxes and hadn't been moved. Cones appear in good shape. Thanks for the advice on the program, I now have all the parameters I need to start my design. Does anyone know about rules for shaped woofer cabinets? Say like sloped sides or back? I was thinking that since the belle had been a folded horn, I might be able to make the speaker sculptural as well as functual.

duaneage
02-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Well that depends on your woodworking skills. Designing a system with fancy sides for acoustic benefit is largely a trial and error unless you have sophisticated software, a sound chamber, and a degree of experience to guide you. If it is your first project go with a simple sealed box or a vented one and keep it simple.

Check out this guys site, he has a few good ideas

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kidder/Audio/audio.htm

dmmolner
02-28-2006, 07:52 PM
I have a complete woodshop. My plan is solid cherry front with 1" mdf boxes veneered in cherry. I do architectural design for a living and have an mfa if that helps explain the desire for something out of the ordinary. I got the speakers a long time ago when I helped build these giant waldorf speakers for studio 54. My best friends company was Grand Sound Enterprises. That was a long time ago but the urge to use the speakers in some way is pretty strong.